Training for marathon

Options
13shark77
13shark77 Posts: 65 Member
For past three months! Little by little I increasing my distance in training for the March Marathon coming up 2015. So far, found few beginning sights to read and use them as guide lines. During the week I put in about 8-11 miles. On weekends I increase my milages but one extrea. So far, its doing good. I noticeing I getting faster. For the jogs during the week.

As for long jog, its getting longer lol! So total of milage I putting each week about 20 plus. I stated using a water carrying case and every few miles I stop, (but keep walking) taking a swig of water. I also started to carry gel. After midway I taking in a gel to snack on. It helps to replenish lost of salt and minerals.

Down side. Im close to reaching over 300 miles. So soon I have to get another set of jogging shoes. Yes I normally change out every 6 months or little greater. I can really tell these shoes are about to break down. Im already feeling the small signs of needing new foot wear.

Anyone eles is training for Marathon?

I don't do treadmils. Sure there nice but they don't workout all your mussels. Only time I maybe on one if its really raining hard. As for weather wise (temp) I even jog in cold weather even in light mist like rain. I know there others like me out there who do the same.

Replies

• 13shark77
    Options
    Well, this past Friday did 13 miles: 2hrs 22 mins. I took Thursday off from training to Jog Friday to have a freeworkout weekend. Talk abut a cheat day lol! Anyone have days they don't want to run?

What are your thoughts on these cold temps drop?
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Cold temp, just dress for it. Ive run when i can in -25 celcius if its not windy. No, there are no days i havent wanted to run, lots i couldnt but none i didnt want to. When i started out there were but not anymore. I actually will start to get into a funk if i cant get out to run for too long, its one of the reasons i resort to the treadmill. Running helps my mental state as much or more than my physical
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My current schedule has Sunday long run, Monday rest, Tuesday - Friday run, Saturday rest. There's nothing wrong with taking some rest days in there. Cold and rain is fine. Just add a layer or two to stay warm.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I've only ran half marathons and am running one this coming Sunday. I'm tapering this week but most of my runs were 4 times a week with one of those days used as a long run. Some of the other days are used in the gym (cross training and no high impact activities).
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    I've only ran half marathons and am running one this coming Sunday. I'm tapering this week but most of my runs were 4 times a week with one of those days used as a long run. Some of the other days are used in the gym (cross training and no high impact activities).

I'm training for my first half, which will be the end of Feb. I'm using the couch to half marathon training. I did my first 5 mile (long run) on Saturday. But it is a mix of running (3/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile)..... Any recommendations on eating prior to running the half... of how soon BEFORE my half before I get a new pair of shoes.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I'm training for my first half, which will be the end of Feb. I'm using the couch to half marathon training. I did my first 5 mile (long run) on Saturday. But it is a mix of running (3/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile)..... Any recommendations on eating prior to running the half... of how soon BEFORE my half before I get a new pair of shoes.
    Shoes. Just get a new pair if yours have 300+ miles on them or if you're getting some issues you didn't see before like shin splints or sore knees.

Eating for a half. You don't have to do any sort of special eating for a half. Your body will have enough energy for that distance normally. Just don't go all Atkins diet during training. Carbs are good for you. No need to carb load but don't skimp on them as a whole when you consider your macros.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    What to wear to run: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
    I love this link!

Shoes: I would suggest buying your new shoes at least a month out from your race--possibly more if you are not buying the exact same shoe you are currently wearing.

Eating for a half: Eat your full calorie allotment in the couple weeks leading up to your half. I ran a half marathon while on a cut, so I did eat Shot Bloks during the race.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Training for my first marathon in April using the Non-Runners Guide to Marathoning. It's structured as a 4 run training week but I've cut back to only 3 runs/week right now so I can fit in 2 days of weight training and my Zumba Thursdays with 1 rest day :) I finished the "pre-train" and week one then got sidelined by a bad cold for a week. Still have a lingering cough and it was pouring rain yesterday so I finally got back out there this morning. Frigidly cold wind and only got to 1.62/3.00... hoping to get back out this afternoon after it warms up to finish out the 3.
  • greenminimalist
    greenminimalist Posts: 30
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dress for the weather. Gels are very important (I learned the hard way. I didn't start popping them until mile 13. That was a little too late.). Buy new shoes a.s.a.p. and start breaking them in. Eat healthy, eat your carbs, but don't go overboard. Remember to do what is best for you.

I ran 4-5 times a week with a long run on the weekends, plus I ran hills, and did circuit training. I recommend increasing your long distance mileage every other long run. I made it so I ran a trial 26.2 mile run, so I knew I could make it the whole way as opposed to making 20 miles my longest distance and saying, "I can make it the last 6.2 miles" Then race day comes, at mile mark 20 you are wearing down and you are thinking, "the finish line could come at any time!" and you still have those last 6.2 miles to go.

After your marathon, do a 3 mile run the next day. It will be a little difficult, but your legs will thank you, and drink something with vitamin C in it to boost your immune system.

Enjoy and best wishes!
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love running in the cold weather and I love running in the rain! Some of my favorite runs have happened when it's freezing rain outside. I live in Houston, so we don't get that type of weather too often, but when we do I take advantage of it.
  • 13shark77
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    What to wear to run: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
    I love this link!

Shoes: I would suggest buying your new shoes at least a month out from your race--possibly more if you are not buying the exact same shoe you are currently wearing.

Eating for a half: Eat your full calorie allotment in the couple weeks leading up to your half. I ran a half marathon while on a cut, so I did eat Shot Bloks during the race.

Thank you for the link! It looks great! I been reading up on few sights. In the end it comes down to this: Wear shorts in temp 40 or great. With a light long sheeves shirt or t shirt with a light jacket. Of cores whats really important is gloves and head gear to keep ears warm!
  • 13shark77
    Options
    Training for my first marathon in April using the Non-Runners Guide to Marathoning. It's structured as a 4 run training week but I've cut back to only 3 runs/week right now so I can fit in 2 days of weight training and my Zumba Thursdays with 1 rest day :) I finished the "pre-train" and week one then got sidelined by a bad cold for a week. Still have a lingering cough and it was pouring rain yesterday so I finally got back out there this morning. Frigidly cold wind and only got to 1.62/3.00... hoping to get back out this afternoon after it warms up to finish out the 3.

I also use the Runners Guide to Marathon training myself!
    Jog Mon, Wed, Thur, Sat.

Thursdays is either a rest or go. I liston to my body. But if I know Saturday a busy day for me. Than I rest and do a Friday Jog.
  • 13shark77
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Shoes. Just get a new pair if yours have 300+ miles on them or if you're getting some issues you didn't see before like shin splints or sore knees.

Eating for a half. You don't have to do any sort of special eating for a half. Your body will have enough energy for that distance normally. Just don't go all Atkins diet during training. Carbs are good for you. No need to carb load but don't skimp on them as a whole when you consider your macros.

I don't think I carb load, but most of my diet looks like carb is always on top lol! I don't do any diet other then just keep track of how much I eat. I use to eat why over 3-4 thousand cals a day. Oh the benge days of just eating because Im board. Now, I don't. I watch myself a lot more now. I do have days when I do over eat. But I don't feel discoarge any more. Not because I training. Its because I not doing it so often and its ok to have one laps day. Of going to friends home and enjoying a slice of cake or two:)
  • 13shark77
    Options
    Truth! I hate cold cold cold! Any temp below 70s feels cold! I must be part cold blooded! I rather jog of days of 90s or higher! But I commited myself to stay the course. And like it or not. I want to be ready for my firth marathon in March!
  • 13shark77
    Options
    Dress for the weather. Gels are very important (I learned the hard way. I didn't start popping them until mile 13. That was a little too late.). Buy new shoes a.s.a.p. and start breaking them in. Eat healthy, eat your carbs, but don't go overboard. Remember to do what is best for you.

I ran 4-5 times a week with a long run on the weekends, plus I ran hills, and did circuit training. I recommend increasing your long distance mileage every other long run. I made it so I ran a trial 26.2 mile run, so I knew I could make it the whole way as opposed to making 20 miles my longest distance and saying, "I can make it the last 6.2 miles" Then race day comes, at mile mark 20 you are wearing down and you are thinking, "the finish line could come at any time!" and you still have those last 6.2 miles to go.

After your marathon, do a 3 mile run the next day. It will be a little difficult, but your legs will thank you, and drink something with vitamin C in it to boost your immune system.

Enjoy and best wishes!

Thank you! I have been boosting with Flinstones Vitamin! Ok its teast really good and have lots of C in it! One day a week I do long jogs, and increasing my milage by one each week. During the week I do jog between 8-11 miles.

I undertand about the 20 mile mark. When I use to traing for my halfs, I jog up to 10 and stop. Mently I can do the rest.
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    Love you guys. MFP friends are the best. Okay, I know I'm looking in the future. I started running in August (this year), I have one 5k down, have one this weekend, plus my half training with my first half the end of Feb. What do you all recommend doing the week after the half? cut back on mileage???? How many miles should I be logging once that half is done?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Love you guys. MFP friends are the best. Okay, I know I'm looking in the future. I started running in August (this year), I have one 5k down, have one this weekend, plus my half training with my first half the end of Feb. What do you all recommend doing the week after the half? cut back on mileage???? How many miles should I be logging once that half is done?

Do a reverse taper - last week of training from the race, but backwards, then get on a 3 week training cycle until you find your next race.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Enjoy and best wishes!

The gel industry wants you to think that gels are important. Running a properly fueled marathon (and training to do so) can take as little as a banana an hour before the gun. Training your body to burn fat is the most effective way to race 26.2.

First time marathoners should take a week off of running and do crosstraining/walking instead.
  • 13shark77
    Options

I do carb load a bit. Old saying pasta with meat, day before the race! There a mix reviews about it but I been doing that for past 8 years with my father or friends. Why change it?

As of race day itself: EAT before the race. Either 1-2 hours before you jog. But don't over eat. Just enough: Me, half to one cup of Oat meal and one or two hard boil eggs. Of couse water too. Thats me mind you. My avg year of running half marathons, between 3 to 9 races. That is not including training I put in. Good luck! After my first! I was hook!
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Second marathon is London next April, having done my first in May of this year. Before that I have a half in March. Have been hammering MFP since the summer to try to get down to 75kg as I think it will make a difference ( was about 81kg for the first marathon ). But by late Feb I'll probably start eating to maintenance and increase the carbs ratio regardless of my weight at that point, as then its time to think about very long runs etc etc.

Right now I run about 20-30 miles a week depending on time and also try to hit the gym once, maybe a little cycling or squash too. For now I am focusing on increasing basic speed but will start the proper marathon training regime early in the New Year.