To Keto, Or Not To Keto: That is the question.

Options

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you ate nothing but steak, chicken wings, cheese, and fried eggs you're doing it wrong. Where were you getting your carbs from? They SHOULD be coming from veggies.

Also, Atkins does NOT equal keto BTW. Its like nails on a chalkboard to me.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    gkirk2000 wrote: »
    Sure I lost 70lbs eating nothing but steak, chicken wings, cheese and fried eggs but no reasonable person would say that's GOOD for you.

good luck.

That's not a proper low carbohydrate diet, that's the dumbass version.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    ..triglycerides go down, hdl goes up, blood sugar and insulin levels go down, abdominal fat decreases, inflammation decreases, weight loss tends to be greater and faster, hunger is lessened..

Keto is a treatment for blood sugar problems (such as type 2 diabetes and reactive hypoglycemia), certain brain disorders, and is the most effective treatment against metabolic syndrome. It even inhibits the growth of some cancers.

Eggs, spinach, mushrooms, olive oil, green beans, tuna, mayo, bean sprouts, shrimp..some of the things I will eat today. This all sounds super unhealthy to me..it's garbage.

Atkins is not keto.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

The Atkins diet, in it's initial stage, is extremely close to the ketogenic diet.

The induction phase, or phase I, of the Atkins diet is so close to the ketogenic diet that it's used in the treatment of epilepsy.

The biggest difference is that Atkins wasn't designed originally with calorie or liquid restrictions. It's actually been prescribed to epileptics as a bit less restrictive version of Keto, but the diets are so close that, again, it's powerful enough to significantly reduce seizures, just like classic keto.

Don't get so caught up in semantics that you miss the bigger picture.

• laserfloyd
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    You should read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" from Tom Venuto. His dietary recommendations are not only ideal for losing fat and retaining muscle, but they're also healthy. I once did Atkins (keto!), lost 70 lbs in about 7 months - everyone thought I looked great (with clothes on) but when I looked in the mirror I saw I lost a lot of my lean muscle mass. I don't think it's a sustainable way to eat/live and I don't think it's as healthy as some make it out to be.

I think the best way to live for most people who put on fat easily is as follows:

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

protein to come mainly from lean meats (including beef which is loaded with vitamins), fish, shellfish, non-fat Greek yogurt - eg: whole foods

carbs to come mainly from vegetables, with some fruit pre- and post-workout (bananas are a favorite). cut out wheat products, any refined sugars, candy etc.

keep the fats as much as possible to unsaturated - olive oil, avocado etc.

then - lift weights. 4x a week is ideal, with an upper/lower body split routine: eg: Monday and Thursday upper body, Tuesday and Friday lower body. Lots of compound movements, don't waste time with isolation crap (I see so many rookies, especially women, sitting on machines wasting their time.)

Use MFP to watch your calorie intake...

voila...not only will you lose fat, but you'll retain muscle (losing weight is *not* what most people want, it's bodyfat!) and you'll fire up your metabolism and get stronger at the same time while looking great too.

Really 90% of it is diet, but it's more than calories - garbage in, garbage out. Sure I lost 70lbs eating nothing but steak, chicken wings, cheese and fried eggs but no reasonable person would say that's GOOD for you.

good luck.

That's a complete load! Besides we eat avocados, spinach, broccoli, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, celery, salad, nuts, heavy cream, and etc. I'd hardly call the protein and fat we consume in addition to them as garbage. Those macros you farted out are made up of foods both keto AND IIFYM. And also many other humans. Fats have finally been recognized to be good for you, btw.
    And losing muscle mass? Nonsense. Read the studies djcrillz posted up there.
    FUD.
    Geez, next people will be throwing around BS about ketoacidosis and exploding kidneys...SMH.

40/40/20 is what I did back with Body For Life. Of all the programs I've tried, I liked that one the best. Lost weight at a fast but healthy rate, had energy, got to indulge once or twice a week. I'm not sure how those macros were determined but it's not an arbitrary or made up ratio. To each their own.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    laserfloyd wrote: »
    You should read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" from Tom Venuto. His dietary recommendations are not only ideal for losing fat and retaining muscle, but they're also healthy. I once did Atkins (keto!), lost 70 lbs in about 7 months - everyone thought I looked great (with clothes on) but when I looked in the mirror I saw I lost a lot of my lean muscle mass. I don't think it's a sustainable way to eat/live and I don't think it's as healthy as some make it out to be.

I think the best way to live for most people who put on fat easily is as follows:

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

protein to come mainly from lean meats (including beef which is loaded with vitamins), fish, shellfish, non-fat Greek yogurt - eg: whole foods

carbs to come mainly from vegetables, with some fruit pre- and post-workout (bananas are a favorite). cut out wheat products, any refined sugars, candy etc.

then - lift weights. 4x a week is ideal, with an upper/lower body split routine: eg: Monday and Thursday upper body, Tuesday and Friday lower body. Lots of compound movements, don't waste time with isolation crap (I see so many rookies, especially women, sitting on machines wasting their time.)

voila...not only will you lose fat, but you'll retain muscle (losing weight is *not* what most people want, it's bodyfat!) and you'll fire up your metabolism and get stronger at the same time while looking great too.

Really 90% of it is diet, but it's more than calories - garbage in, garbage out. Sure I lost 70lbs eating nothing but steak, chicken wings, cheese and fried eggs but no reasonable person would say that's GOOD for you.

good luck.

That's a complete load! Besides we eat avocados, spinach, broccoli, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, celery, salad, nuts, heavy cream, and etc. I'd hardly call the protein and fat we consume in addition to them as garbage. Those macros you farted out are made up of foods both keto AND IIFYM. And also many other humans. Fats have finally been recognized to be good for you, btw.
    FUD.
    Geez, next people will be throwing around BS about ketoacidosis and exploding kidneys...SMH.

40/40/20 is what I did back with Body For Life. Of all the programs I've tried, I liked that one the best. Lost weight at a fast but healthy rate, had energy, got to indulge once or twice a week. I'm not sure how those macros were determined but it's not an arbitrary or made up ratio. To each their own.

I'm glad you found what works for you. I'm just saying that we are all eating the same kinds of foods, not keto eating garbage and only IIFYM eating good food. Keto IS IIFYM, just a different ratio. And as humans we all eat food, not garbage. Best wishes. :)
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    The Atkins diet, in it's initial stage, is extremely close to the ketogenic diet.

The induction phase, or phase I, of the Atkins diet is so close to the ketogenic diet that it's used in the treatment of epilepsy.

The biggest difference is that Atkins wasn't designed originally with calorie or liquid restrictions. It's actually been prescribed to epileptics as a bit less restrictive version of Keto, but the diets are so close that, again, it's powerful enough to significantly reduce seizures, just like classic keto.

Don't get so caught up in semantics that you miss the bigger picture.

I don't think anyone is missing the bigger picture. Misinformation was given. We were trying to correct it. Even you yourself said Atkins is less restrictive. That's why it's called Atkins and not keto.

You can't give someone margarine and insist it's butter.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    laserfloyd wrote: »

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

good luck.

FUD.

No one said 40-40-20 was bs.. It was the garbage in garbage out, you'll lose lead muscle, comments that caused a reaction.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Sure I lost 70lbs eating nothing but steak, chicken wings, cheese and fried eggs but no reasonable person would say that's GOOD for you.

good luck.

That's not a proper low carbohydrate diet, that's the dumbass version.

LOL! You made me choke on my coffee.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    miamouse3 wrote: »
    What are your experiences with Keto? What are your experiences with LCHF diets/lifestyles? Has it worked for you? Did you enjoy it? Was there any noticeable difference for you compared to other dietary changes/restrictions?

About Me:
    23 F W: 250 H: 5'4'' 45% BF BMI 42 BMR 1871kcal TOTAL EXP: 2572kcal

I doubt your BMR is that high, you're weight is somewhat outside of the range of validity of some general equations - you could try using the Katch McArdle formula based on lean mass or to be honest just go for a couple of weeks on keto with 1200-1400 calories and <50g of carbohydrate per day with about 50-100g of protein and fats / oils for the balance. 10C / 30P / 60F or similar in custom macros.

That's what I did and lost over 40 lbs. I do have medication for anxiety. Atkins induction is one published plan you can follow. Discuss an increase in salt intake with your doctor as you have a heart issue and going keto will tend to drop your blood pressure - salt intake usually offsets this but I don't know what the implications would be for you.

I started 4 years ago, and still eat this way. Unlike previous attempts at prolonged restriction this one was sustainable.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    What are your experiences with Keto? What are your experiences with LCHF diets/lifestyles? Has it worked for you? Did you enjoy it? Was there any noticeable difference for you compared to other dietary changes/restrictions?

About Me:
    23 F W: 250 H: 5'4'' 45% BF BMI 42 BMR 1871kcal TOTAL EXP: 2572kcal

I doubt your BMR is that high, you're weight is somewhat outside of the range of validity of some general equations - you could try using the Katch McArdle formula based on lean mass or to be honest just go for a couple of weeks on keto with 1200-1400 calories and <50g of carbohydrate per day with about 50-100g of protein and fats / oils for the balance. 10C / 30P / 60F or similar in custom macros.

That's what I did and lost over 40 lbs. I do have medication for anxiety. Atkins induction is one published plan you can follow. Discuss an increase in salt intake with your doctor as you have a heart issue and going keto will tend to drop your blood pressure - salt intake usually offsets this but I don't know what the implications would be for you.

I started 4 years ago, and still eat this way. Unlike previous attempts at prolonged restriction this one was sustainable.

^^^OP I hope you read this. This is some of the most solid, sound, helpful (and non-inflammatory) advice I have seen yet in this thread, esp. regarding the salt intake (I left that out because you mentioned you didn't want to hear anyone to tell you to go to the dr). If I knew how to make a clappy hands emoji I would add 10 of them here. Bravo, yarwell.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    What are your experiences with Keto?
    I've been following this diet for 2 months and have lost almost 12 lbs, compared to 23 lbs with just calorie restriction and heavy exercise over almost 6 months (and I know eat 300-400 calories more a day and do not exercise at all).

What are your experiences with LCHF diets/lifestyles? Has it worked for you?
    It's hard, but as is any lifestyle change. I find it works very well, as stated above and am very happy with it.

Did you enjoy it? Was there any noticeable difference for you compared to other dietary changes/restrictions?

Yep, I prefer the food selections in this diet (high fat vs low fat, specifically). After getting through the Keto-Flu, I feel like I have much more energy and focus. Cravings are decreased and appetite control is easier.

• miamouse3
    miamouse3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hello. I follow the ketogenic diet. It has been more effective, for me, than having a calorie deficit alone. However, I have reactive hypoglycemia and am treating it with a lchf diet rather than taking medication.

My blood sugar has been more stable in the month and a half I've been on keto than in the 11 years prior that I've been trying various dietary/medicinal changes. My pancreas is highly overactive. High insulin levels increase fat storage. I've been able to exercise without glucose drops for the first time in years. With a calorie deficit and exercise I have lost 12 lbs in 1.5 months. My hypoglycemic symptoms are almost nonexistent..which is amazing because being hypo SUCKS.

It was an easy transition for me because I was already eating fairly low carb. A lot easier than I expected. I do find it difficult some days to get my fat macros up where they should be. Fat Bombs, coconut oil, and hemp oil help with this tremendously. I also had an issue with green vegetables causing discomfort due to lack of food for my gut bacteria. Eating pickles, yogurt, and a probiotic helped with that.

I would say, try the diet and see if it works for you. The worst that could happen is its not for you. It looks like you've done research. There's a keto group here where you might find more supportive answers. Since you don't have access to a doctor right now..do some research to make sure it won't interfere with your medication.

Good luck!

I do buy coconut oil, so that sounds handy. I've never heard of fat bombs. I'll have to try it if I find it difficult to get my fat levels up.
    So you found it helped regulate all of that a lot better? And by pickles and yogurt, does that mean fermented foods will help? And I could add a probiotic to my daily vitamins and stuff, that sounds good.

Thank you. I also discovered the boards on reddit, which seem incredibly helpful. I will double check and see if it does. The advantage is I rarely use what I am currently taking. Ativan is just a fast acting anti-anxiety medication, so if I am in a high stress or high anxiety situation and I feel like I might have an anxiety attack I can take it. Kind of also helps preemptively in situations where I am prone to experience these. I don't take it regularly because it is an addictive medication if used consistently for longer than two weeks, and frequent use means I will develop an intolerance. Its the least damaging anti-anxiety med I have seen, so I don't take it unless I absolutely have to lol.

Again, thank you so much. This is exactly the information and advice I am looking for.
  • miamouse3
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    I eat LCHF...I guess you could say I'm a keto eater.

Its a way to get you to a calorie deficit. You get more full on fat and protein, eating less, which gets you to a calorie deficit.

BTW your body "burns fat" when you eat in a calorie deficit.

I tried many times to eat low calorie, but I thought about food too much or didn't eat very nutrious. Eating low carb allowed took out an area where I couldn't control myself. It is easier for me to eat NO ice cream than a reasonable serving. Will I get to low calorie and get to a more traditional ratio of calorie intake? Maybe. I feel like I have more energy eating low carb, high fat, mod protein and I think about food less.

That sounds like how I feel with only a low cal diet. Especially in relation to the ice cream. I love it, but having it in the house for a "reasonable serving" on a once in a while basis is too much temptation for me. I went a year without eating icecream and felt good about it. Didn't even really miss it. I liked that idea too, because I know fat and protein are what helps you register the "I'm full" response you are supposed to. It feels like a better way for me to come at changing the way I eat.

Thank you for responding, I appreciate the input :). I would definitely like to think about food less too lol.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Hello. I follow the ketogenic diet. It has been more effective, for me, than having a calorie deficit alone. However, I have reactive hypoglycemia and am treating it with a lchf diet rather than taking medication.

My blood sugar has been more stable in the month and a half I've been on keto than in the 11 years prior that I've been trying various dietary/medicinal changes. My pancreas is highly overactive. High insulin levels increase fat storage. I've been able to exercise without glucose drops for the first time in years. With a calorie deficit and exercise I have lost 12 lbs in 1.5 months. My hypoglycemic symptoms are almost nonexistent..which is amazing because being hypo SUCKS.

It was an easy transition for me because I was already eating fairly low carb. A lot easier than I expected. I do find it difficult some days to get my fat macros up where they should be. Fat Bombs, coconut oil, and hemp oil help with this tremendously. I also had an issue with green vegetables causing discomfort due to lack of food for my gut bacteria. Eating pickles, yogurt, and a probiotic helped with that.

I would say, try the diet and see if it works for you. The worst that could happen is its not for you. It looks like you've done research. There's a keto group here where you might find more supportive answers. Since you don't have access to a doctor right now..do some research to make sure it won't interfere with your medication.

Good luck!

I do buy coconut oil, so that sounds handy. I've never heard of fat bombs. I'll have to try it if I find it difficult to get my fat levels up.
    So you found it helped regulate all of that a lot better? And by pickles and yogurt, does that mean fermented foods will help? And I could add a probiotic to my daily vitamins and stuff, that sounds good.

Thank you. I also discovered the boards on reddit, which seem incredibly helpful. I will double check and see if it does. The advantage is I rarely use what I am currently taking. Ativan is just a fast acting anti-anxiety medication, so if I am in a high stress or high anxiety situation and I feel like I might have an anxiety attack I can take it. Kind of also helps preemptively in situations where I am prone to experience these. I don't take it regularly because it is an addictive medication if used consistently for longer than two weeks, and frequent use means I will develop an intolerance. Its the least damaging anti-anxiety med I have seen, so I don't take it unless I absolutely have to lol.

Again, thank you so much. This is exactly the information and advice I am looking for.

You're welcome.

It does help regulate my blood glucose better than anything else I've tried. I had hypo symptoms on a daily basis beforehand. I used to have to eat every 2-2.5 hours, extreme fatigue and hunger, irritability, depression, slurred speech, dizziness, brain fog, shaking, all of that crap..every day. Exercising for 20 minutes would cause my sugar to drop into the 50s. Certain medications helped slightly but keto has worked best for me.

Yep, fermented foods. Not everyone has this issue but I sure did.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/07/07/Easy-Lemon-Fat-Bombs

.. Her recipes are delicious. Another keto blog I like is ibreatheimhungry.com she even has weekly meal plans.

Sodium, magnesium and potassium are a few key things to research with keto..especially with a heart issue.

I hope you find something that works for you. :)
  • miamouse3
    Options
    Bukawww wrote: »
    There are only two solutions to your problem available.

1. You are not actually burning more than you are consuming
    2. There is a medical issue that needs to be addressed by a medical professional.

There are no other options. Really. If you are a human being with human being parts and physiology, science is science. I am a little concerned that you state you have Bipolar but don't seem to be medicated for that. I also think its crap that you feel ok being rude while also asking for help, but qualifying that you only want help that doesn't exist...and then getting upset when the help offered doesn't fit into your parameters.

It's probably the second, but I can't afford to see a doctor.

I am unmedicated because the medications were more damaging to my health and were doing nothing to help get me to a stable place. My therapist recommend foremost to get out of the living situation I was in because it was triggering, and that some bipolar patients found community and lifestyle changes to help more effectively handle their disorder. Episodes can still happen, but the changes I took to give myself an environment and lifestyle conducive to stability have been good. I came out of one of the worst depressive episodes of my life, my health improved (not a ton unfortunately, but a significant amount), and I became better equipped to handle my disorder head on. I was told to bring "order" to my disorder. Having a routine, a pattern, more organization, independence, and a support system can make a huge difference. Sometimes it can seem to the point of obsession, but it has worked so I don't question it.
    The medications destroyed my memory. So now I require a more rigorous schedule and organization and reminder method than I previously needed or I won't stay on task and end up forgetting important things. My attention span also has never been the same after the medications I was on. Even when I am on task and doing my best to focus I often struggle. I had attention issues before but the medications I was on made it so much worse, and my doctors (even after I changed them) refused to address it because the only solutions they won't give to bipolar patients because it might make me manic. Which would make sense, if it weren't for the fact that depression was a much bigger problem for me than mania. Risperdal made tons of my hair fall out and thinned it out, I put on even more weight (a combined +60 lbs since starting medications in 2010-2012) and lost my menstrual cycle. Risperdal threw my hormones into worse chaos than before, and I don't know entirely if it was risperdal only or combined with the other medications, but it threw me into a mixed state- which is dangerous. Before that choice of antipsychotic I was on seroquel which was good and helped my sleep issues, but gave me permanent muscle spasms and twitches. I get uncontrollable twitching in mainly my left eyelid, as well as leg spasms now. Which I need to keep an eye on and need to schedule (as much as I need all my other appointments) a test to see if it is a likely culprit called Tardive Dyskinesia. Which is debilitating, as if I don't have enough debilitating health issues. SSRI's made me more suicidal as well. Only medication I didn't have much of a negative reaction to was Lamictal. I want to increase my stability and prolong my stable periods as much as possible, but my physicians won't take how I feel into account. My therapist as well as organizations for mental illnesses say I need to have a say in my treatment, and frankly I wasn't getting that. The doctors ignored me. Maybe I was too shy. When confronted with figures of authority I have trouble holding my ground. I either come on too strong or back out entirely, both out of panic. Maybe it will change with a new doctor and new location, but I need a physician I can trust and who understands that if the price of stability is deteriorating physical health and cognitive function, the price is too high. Going off of them so far was the best decision I have made. I needed the lamictal and seroquel when I first started out, because I was spiraling down fast, but since then my treatment ended up making me worse.

As for the rude thing, I have little patience on here because whenever I get on the forums I am constantly confronted with people who are arrogant, rude, and offensive. All I wanted was people's personal experiences with Keto. I didn't want medical advice, I wanted things like "I found keto effective because _____" or "I found keto ineffective because _____" as well as "While doing keto I found _______ helpful" or "This site/post/etc has tips/advice/recipes for making the change". Do you see what I mean? And the only real reason I gave my medical stats was because on the off chance someone commenting had similar issues they could tell me how Keto worked for them, and if it had any effect on their issues. Instead, I knew I was in for people commenting information I didn't need, telling me I was doing things wrong (like the person who didn't bother to read my post and do the math and said I wasn't creating a deficit. I have been making a deficit of nearly 1000 calories a day, averaging out at nearly 2 lbs expected weightloss per week. And yes, I have a scale and yes I tracked everything. Every single thing.) Its come down to now I avoid the forums because I know very few actually read the whole post and a ton will comment without any information I was actually looking for and it all leaved me annoyed and stressed out. Now and then I post regardless, thinking it will be different, and it never is. So yeah, I was pessimistic when I typed it up and wanted to make it clear I didn't want anyone who didn't have something to say about their experiences with keto commenting. Yet as expected, they did anyway. And as expected, I am treated like an idiot.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Go talk to your doctor. You have medical conditions that need to be managed properly and not by a bunch of people online. We are not qualified to help you manage your illnesses.

Hey sweet pea, I don't want you to play my Doctor. I asked about KETO. My stats are on there only for the purpose of anyone who has similar issues and have tried keto, so if they see or comment they could possibly post information specific to it. Thanks for being a redundant jackwagon.

Lulz, because you said you can't lose in a deficit someone gave you the advice to see a Dr, and this is how you come back to them....
  • miamouse3
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If you are not losing right now, then you are not eating in a calorie deficit. So if you do keto and continue to eat above maintenance you will not lose weight. All Keto is, is another method/strategy/etc to create said calorie deficit. I would personally rather enjoy all the food groups and lose weight, rather then restricting an entire food group because someone deems it "bad"…..

how many calories a day to do you consume?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything bit of food?
    can you open your food diary?

Did you read the post? I put in my info and I let MFP do the calculations. When I was sedentary, I ate about 1,200. When I got a job where I spend much of my night cleaning, I switched to lightly active and it told me to eat 1,600. There is a definite deficit. Again, I'm not an idiot. There was more than a 20% deficit. I had a 1000 calorie deficit for a very long time. I shortened it to 500 incase I was going too low or something, and I even did some stupid rotation my trainer suggested of going 1800 two weeks, 1700 two weeks, continued til I got to 1400 and holding there before cycling back up. I've been doing all the conventional tricks of the trade for years.

Please read the post next time.

By the way, Keto is about getting your body to use fat instead of glucose, and the less carbs and glucose you have the less insulin you produce and its a long story. I suggest you go look it up since you are commenting on it without knowing.

Carbs are okay, its called eating LESS carbs, which is fine. I would rather eat more cheese and less pasta. I would rather get to actually put butter in my food and use mushrooms in place of bread. If I didn't think I could live without carbs, I wouldn't consider it.

As you already know everything, then I have nothing else to add.

Again, all Keto does is create a calorie deficit. At the end of the day, you are burning fat, because you have an energy deficit.

Are you trying to tell me that you can eat over maintenance calories, do Keto, and lose weight?

But again, you already know everything so good luck in your journey..

I did this^ keto eating maintainance. Lost no weight, actually gained a little, but most likely water weight. I also didn't enjoy pooping oil. Which is why i went back to counting calories.

I think no matter what you do, you still will need to create a calorie deficit. Following any diet or lifestyle change with a deficit will result in weightloss. I did find that doing keto though did keep me fuller and i was more strict with myself and what i ate.

Thanks, thats part of what I am looking for. Part of why I want to try it is to feel full and have better control of my diet. That was part of the appeal and I wondered if if was just talk or if people did find it effective in appetite control and etc.

As for what the other person posted, they failed to see that in my original post with the information I provided I was eating a deficit of nearly 1000 calories a day.

"About Me:
    23 F W: 250 H: 5'4'' 45% BF BMI 42 BMR 1871kcal TOTAL EXP: 2572kcal" (how many calories I consumed was originally titled as following MFP's tool recommendations based on my stats and goals. I clarified later, but the other poster still didn't get it.)

My BMR (what my body uses to do its processes only) is approximately 1,871 calories. Adding in my lifestyle (Work, non exercise related daily activities) my expected total expenditure (how many calories I burn a day) is 2,572 calories. That would be how much I need to eat to maintain my weight, so that is my maintenance calorie number. 1,871 would be it if I was sedentary. A year ago I was on a 1,200 calorie diet. That was a calorie deficit of 1,372. I changed my diet to better suit the fact that I had an active lifestyle and I was advised I was eating too low, and moved it to approximately 1,600. This became a much healthier deficit of 972 (almost 1000, and I aimed for 1000 but was okay with 972). With there being approximately 3,500 calories per pound (calling for a deficit of that much to lose one pound) my diet should have resulted in an expected weightloss of 1.9 lbs a week, nearly 2 lbs. A loss of 2 lbs is expected with the -1000 a day. I know this is never a guarantee, but I should have seen some difference over time. Based on the science I read about Keto, and user experiences I saw elsewhere, I thought the change in how my body burns energy could help, or even the way it manages glucose and insulin levels. At the minimum, at least it would be a more satisfying way to eat than I do now.

So I definitely created a deficit, and I know I do need to see a doctor. For now, I need to do what I can how I can. The doctor would appreciate that as much as I do.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Bukawww wrote: »
    There are only two solutions to your problem available.

1. You are not actually burning more than you are consuming
    2. There is a medical issue that needs to be addressed by a medical professional.

There are no other options. Really. If you are a human being with human being parts and physiology, science is science. I am a little concerned that you state you have Bipolar but don't seem to be medicated for that. I also think its crap that you feel ok being rude while also asking for help, but qualifying that you only want help that doesn't exist...and then getting upset when the help offered doesn't fit into your parameters.

It's probably the second, but I can't afford to see a doctor.

I am unmedicated because the medications were more damaging to my health and were doing nothing to help get me to a stable place. My therapist recommend foremost to get out of the living situation I was in because it was triggering, and that some bipolar patients found community and lifestyle changes to help more effectively handle their disorder. Episodes can still happen, but the changes I took to give myself an environment and lifestyle conducive to stability have been good. I came out of one of the worst depressive episodes of my life, my health improved (not a ton unfortunately, but a significant amount), and I became better equipped to handle my disorder head on. I was told to bring "order" to my disorder. Having a routine, a pattern, more organization, independence, and a support system can make a huge difference. Sometimes it can seem to the point of obsession, but it has worked so I don't question it.
    The medications destroyed my memory. So now I require a more rigorous schedule and organization and reminder method than I previously needed or I won't stay on task and end up forgetting important things. My attention span also has never been the same after the medications I was on. Even when I am on task and doing my best to focus I often struggle. I had attention issues before but the medications I was on made it so much worse, and my doctors (even after I changed them) refused to address it because the only solutions they won't give to bipolar patients because it might make me manic. Which would make sense, if it weren't for the fact that depression was a much bigger problem for me than mania. Risperdal made tons of my hair fall out and thinned it out, I put on even more weight (a combined +60 lbs since starting medications in 2010-2012) and lost my menstrual cycle. Risperdal threw my hormones into worse chaos than before, and I don't know entirely if it was risperdal only or combined with the other medications, but it threw me into a mixed state- which is dangerous. Before that choice of antipsychotic I was on seroquel which was good and helped my sleep issues, but gave me permanent muscle spasms and twitches. I get uncontrollable twitching in mainly my left eyelid, as well as leg spasms now. Which I need to keep an eye on and need to schedule (as much as I need all my other appointments) a test to see if it is a likely culprit called Tardive Dyskinesia. Which is debilitating, as if I don't have enough debilitating health issues. SSRI's made me more suicidal as well. Only medication I didn't have much of a negative reaction to was Lamictal. I want to increase my stability and prolong my stable periods as much as possible, but my physicians won't take how I feel into account. My therapist as well as organizations for mental illnesses say I need to have a say in my treatment, and frankly I wasn't getting that. The doctors ignored me. Maybe I was too shy. When confronted with figures of authority I have trouble holding my ground. I either come on too strong or back out entirely, both out of panic. Maybe it will change with a new doctor and new location, but I need a physician I can trust and who understands that if the price of stability is deteriorating physical health and cognitive function, the price is too high. Going off of them so far was the best decision I have made. I needed the lamictal and seroquel when I first started out, because I was spiraling down fast, but since then my treatment ended up making me worse.

As for the rude thing, I have little patience on here because whenever I get on the forums I am constantly confronted with people who are arrogant, rude, and offensive. All I wanted was people's personal experiences with Keto. I didn't want medical advice, I wanted things like "I found keto effective because _____" or "I found keto ineffective because _____" as well as "While doing keto I found _______ helpful" or "This site/post/etc has tips/advice/recipes for making the change". Do you see what I mean? And the only real reason I gave my medical stats was because on the off chance someone commenting had similar issues they could tell me how Keto worked for them, and if it had any effect on their issues. Instead, I knew I was in for people commenting information I didn't need, telling me I was doing things wrong (like the person who didn't bother to read my post and do the math and said I wasn't creating a deficit. I have been making a deficit of nearly 1000 calories a day, averaging out at nearly 2 lbs expected weightloss per week. And yes, I have a scale and yes I tracked everything. Every single thing.) Its come down to now I avoid the forums because I know very few actually read the whole post and a ton will comment without any information I was actually looking for and it all leaved me annoyed and stressed out. Now and then I post regardless, thinking it will be different, and it never is. So yeah, I was pessimistic when I typed it up and wanted to make it clear I didn't want anyone who didn't have something to say about their experiences with keto commenting. Yet as expected, they did anyway. And as expected, I am treated like an idiot.

That all sucks. :/ I hope you can find a good doctor. It took me years to find one that gave me helpful information about my hypoglycemia..and referred me to an endocrinologist. I only got eat smaller meals and carry/eat a high sugar snack when you get low..which is wrong. I even had a pcp, when I was 17, who prescribed me antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications. Even after I explained that I felt the way I did because I was low and showed my glucose monitor history to prove it..she still insisted I fill the prescription.. so i feel your pain. It seems to be harder and harder to find a doctor who will actually listen and even harder to find one who will make a referral to a specialist when necessary.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options