Any Triathletes out there...

Options
2»

Replies

• Sandra37405
    Sandra37405 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did my last triathlon at 50. I am now in my 60's and my goal is to do a sprint next year. I'm lucky that I can swim. I have a good bike. Now if I lost 30 lbs I'm sure the run would be so much easier. As I said about my first open water swim (La Jolla, by the way) when everyone else was so nervous, "I'm not going to win and I'm not going to drown. "
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    jaded082 wrote: »

So how many triathletes focus on weight training too? I like weight training, is there room in tri training for weights?

I have said this a few times on this forum, and it applies here: The heaviest thing I lift is my bike. The next heaviest thing I lift is a beer glass.

If you are doing triathlon as a way to keep up overall fitness, I would say weight training is probably a good thing, especially upper-body type work. If you are trying to compete, however, being as light as possible (to a point) is desirable. That includes getting rid of excess muscle.
  • lmihalcik
    lmihalcik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a triathlete as well. I have a tough time convincing myself to do it, but light weights have really helped me in the past. They are vital now that I am 50 and am loosing muscle mass.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It looks like to me that you are getting some really sound advice thus far! I don't have a lot to add, except that I can tell you that if I can do it, you can do it!

This past summer I signed up for a sprint triathlon that my work actually sponsors us in, and then at the last minute ended up taking someone's place in another triathlon. I was in nowhere near the shape you are in and enjoyed both races SO much! Also, now, I'm hooked!

Last year was my first year back on a bike in about 10 years, so I was not the fastest person out there by far. For my first race I just used my hybrid, not-built-for-speed Giant, and then for the second race my friend was nice enough to let me borrow his Cannondale road bike. Phew that made a huge difference and I am buying a road bike this year! Riding bikes in a group setting was so very new to me and the first time I ever did this was my first triathlon. I suggest going on a ride with a large group prior to your race so you will know how this feels.

I am a really strong swimmer and honestly, I was super surprised by how hard the swimming portion was. While 1/2 a mile doesn't seem like that long, it is when you're out in open water in a group of people. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with swimming not only the distance, but also swimming in open water, and if at all possible within a group of people. The biggest mistake I made with the swimming portion was not taking into account that there would be a bunch of people around me swimming as well.

And the running...the biggest thing about the running is getting used to the transition from riding to running. I felt like the first quarter mile or so my legs just didn't work quite right.

If you can at all, practice your transitions. The time I saved from my first race to my second was incredible because of what I learned doing transitions the first time.

I would say, step one, sign up for that race! Once I did that last year I knew I had to train, so I did. And guess what? I'm already signed up for two again next year! I have done several 5k races as well as a longer 12k race, and I have never had as much fun as I did doing my two triathlons. The racers really are a friendly bunch.

Good luck to you!
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have you considered a tri with a pool swim? I'm terrified of open water (determined to overcome that fear in 2015!) but still completed my first sprint tri in September by doing a tri with a pool swim. I was brand new to the sport and had literally ran my first ever mile in February and purchased my road bike in July. I followed the Iron Girl training program and was able to finish the tri with a respectable time. Taking the open water anxiety out of the equation made it a lot easier to wrap my head around!

Edited: Just read the top posts and saw I'm not the first to suggest this. Oops!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I've done some sprint tri's and I think the swimming is critically important just for safety reasons. With that many people going at the start, you have to be careful so that you don't get kicked in the head. You'll get kicked some, so you might need to adjust your stroke to give you some more space. Don't go out too quickly in the swim and expend all of your energy. With one race, they kept us treading water against the current for a long time before starting the race and I had lost a lot of energy. A few scary moments. Be able to use a variety of strokes including simply being able to float on your back effectively. Train for longer distances than you will have to swim. Tri's can be a lot of fun, but you just have to really respect the swim for safety reasons.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I participated on a relay team on a reverse sprint. I ran the 5K and was able to watch the rest of the race. The swim was a 150M in a 25m pool so 6 laps serpentine. My biggest fear of the swim portion is swimming well enough to not get DQ'ed. Unlike being on land, if you get tired or hurt, you can just stop and walk with no worries of getting DQ'ed from the race. I can swim slow and well enough to finish 50m tired but not confident to avoid the need to grab the lanes. After watching the swim portion, I noticed that in this small local event, there were a lot of swimmers not using a freestyle stroke because they were more comfortable with other strokes (breast/back). I think I am going to work with a swimming friend and do next year's event.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I did my first tri about 10 years ago and it was challenging. Particularly the swim b/c I'm not at all a strong swimmer. However, my transitions and run were solid and I started catching back up and passing those that had beat me in the swim! (It's how you finish that matters, right?)

I'm actually planning on doing at least one sprint tri this year and will be taking swim classes and doing some open water clinics to feel more comfortable about that.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Another Triathlete here. Started with olympic in 2011 and did my first ironman in 2012. did my second this year nearly breaking 12 hours but died on the run in the heat.

Got a year full of running and Tri's all planned out for 2015 already.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I only learned to swim starting at age 45. It's become my favorite fitness activity. Here's the formula that worked for me:
    Stage 1: Swimming lesson once per week, swimming on my own at least two more times per week. This is the hardest stage, it feels like a struggle and you think you will never learn. A great tri coach told me that it would be very difficult and discouraging for about 6-7 weeks. That's exactly how long it took me before my first breakthrough.
    Stage 2: Breakthrough! (first one). All of the sudden, you find you can swim and keep on swimming. This is where you want to get in a swimming group (check out USMS.org). You will start off at the back of the slow lane, that's fine. If you get a lot of good poolside coaching from your group coach, this may be all you need. If not, check in with a good coach every yay-often to refine your technique.
    Stage 3: sign up for some meets with your group. Nothing will motivate your training like knowing you are swimming x yards for time on y date.

Before your first tri, you should experiment with swimming in strange circumstances. As a beginner, even swimming in a strange pool can renew that anxious "I am not a water animal" feeling. Your USMS group will probably have some open water opportunities a couple times a year. You will feel anxious the first (few) time(s), so make sure the day of your first tri is not your first time.

Unless your neighbor has a 25y or 50m lap pool, don't try to learn to swim there. Little pools are for splashing around on hot days. You need 25 yards minimum to learn to swim.
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't realize there was so many more replies over here.
    Wow, a whole bunch more great info! Love it! Thanks for all the great tips!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Lots of solid advice here. While you work on getting your swimming comfort level up, you might consider doing some Duathlons to satiate your competitive desires.

There are lots of 5k/30k/5k races that will push you and get you used to transitioning. Then when you feel comfortable you could easily switch to a tri and be well prepared.
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Looked into some duathlons today around my area. I found a couple coming up next year. I'm going to try that out! ☺