• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DP

• jchurchill01
    jchurchill01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern Wisconsin--it can get pretty cold in the winter. But it's not the cold that does me in, it's the short days. I don't like walking in the dark, so I walk on my treadmill while I watch the nightly news in the winter.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Walk Away The Pounds Videos ...upstate NY here I'm walking outside still until I cant anymore due to ice...Bundle UP! LOL
  • tjstickwood
    Options
    :# yes, chilly. But as long as the sidewalk isn't too icy you'll be glad you make yourself get out there. Another Canadian here. I have to walk almost a km. just from the parking lot into the hospital where I work every day, and back again in the dark. Freaking cold this morning, but I felt invigorated once I made it. Last winter - I was coming in wearing my snow pants! In the evening I cut myself a break and if I want to do some walking I do it in the mall. I figure I've put in my time walking outside for the day.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just ordered leslie sansone videos for home. I usually have to take my kids with me when I walk and do not feel safe walking after dark with them in the cold and in snow ( I live in the country and bears are not uncommon) I have heard great things about these videos and a friend of mine lost 42lbs using them. I just got mine on amazon for $7.69.
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 60 pounds and my main exercise has been walking. Well with winter the temp is around 15 degrees and I just can not walk in that. When I started my weight loss I did not think about winter. My question is what can I do now to get the weight off and I can not afford to go to the gym. Ideas please please.

I feel your pain here in MN! One thing I do is head to the nearest mall. (Yes, I am now a Mall Walker from time to time.) Fortunately, my company has a treadmill so I can still get some steps in over lunch, but with the holidays coming up the mall should make for a nice change of scenery.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    rgrady33 wrote: »
    I have lost around 60 pounds and my main exercise has been walking. Well with winter the temp is around 15 degrees and I just can not walk in that. When I started my weight loss I did not think about winter. My question is what can I do now to get the weight off and I can not afford to go to the gym. Ideas please please.

I feel your pain here in MN! One thing I do is head to the nearest mall. (Yes, I am now a Mall Walker from time to time.) Fortunately, my company has a treadmill so I can still get some steps in over lunch, but with the holidays coming up the mall should make for a nice change of scenery.

Watch out in Burnsville in the am. They have the steps laid out along the outside edge of the mall and if you step out of a store too early or without looking both ways......
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    What's funny is that when in negatives, I wouldn't take a horse or a dog out. However, I'd totally go camping for a day or two.

Winter camping = best camping
    Less traffic and fewer pogues. Yes.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    It's my understanding that Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos are available on YouTube. You could try those!

I agree with this. I'm in the same boat with being an outdoor walker in an area that gets quite cold and these are always my go-to for indoor walking during the winter. You could also look into joining a YMCA that has an indoor walking track. They charge based on your income.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options

Congratulations on your weight loss. I disagree that 15 degrees is too cold to walk/run outside (just dress warm).

If you insist on staying inside I see many great ideas above.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Any stairs in your home/workplace? I'd walk/run up and down stairs if I was unable to walk/run outside, though I do have some under armour cold-gear for below freezing temps that really make it easier to go outside in those temps. I layer a baselayer top with a fleece jacket with a windbreaker over it, with gloves and a hat, and wear cold gear pants. It's really not that bad once you get moving and warm up.
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I LOVE walking outside in the winter...but I'm a person who loves Fall and Winter and HATES Summer...with a passion. :-P Honestly, I'd say bundle up and walk outside, but try to do it in the afternoon (around lunch time) when it's at least a little warmer. I tend to have faster times and burn more calories during the winter because I'm trying to heat up and get my walk over with so I can go back into the warmth. :-) Either that or Leslie's walking workouts on YouTube. My husband and I love them and use them whenever the weather doesn't permit it...like it's pouring rain or there's a blizzard going on.

Also, AWESOME job on your weight loss! 60 lbs down is awesome!!
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Walk in the cold anyway! That's what I do -- I probably live a lot farther north than you too! Just the other weekend, I walked 10 miles in the cold & rain. It was awesome. The greater the challenge, the greater the sense of accomplishment.

Wear a warm base layer, throw on a shirt over it, put on a warm coat with a hood & wear a scarf to shield your face from the wind. Then start walking! :)