Flavoring your plain yogurt...

Options
2»

Replies

• lynndu
    lynndu Posts: 8
    Options
    add some sugar free pudding powder (any flavor). it reminds me of cheesecake.
  • Jennid27
    Jennid27 Posts: 15
    Options
    I tried the Fage 0 with honey or cherry and weaned myself down to plain. Add 2 T museli or granola and have a bag of frozen raspberries..the juice from the thawing adds perfect sweetness..a little Truvia or Stevia if nec. Just had this for lunch. Or save it to thicken a protein shake.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I don't mind thee taste at all.
    But when I'm using it as a meal (as opposed to a before/after workout snack) I add 1/2 of an overly ripe banana, strawberries, blueberries, and sometime wheat germ.

I think eventually you'll get used to it.
    I bought a peach chobani the other day, I couldn't eat it!
    Plain it is for me!
  • julie4760
    julie4760 Posts: 125
    Options
    I add spices and flavour my skinless chicken, especially good if it's virtually fat free yoghurt, not all yogurts need to be eaten as a dessert i'm sure there are folks here who have loads of recipes for you.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain, and add nothing to it. Why does everyone here can't seem to stand their yoghurt plain?
    I love plain yogurt too! I used to eat plain all the time and nearly gagged the first time I tried vanilla. I like dumping cold plain yogurt on a piece of chicken breast.
  • Jayshelle416
    Options
    craisins, vanilla extract and honey roasted peanuts and a touch of natural honey
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    I love it plain! But sometimes, I add my yogurt to a bowl of oatmeal and berries with just a bit of honey.
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can make it chocolate flavour by adding cocoa powder and a teaspoon of honey.

I have it like that for breakfast with some wheatgerm, LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond meal) and cereal on top. It tastes awesome!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain with fruit or with sugar-free jelly (US: jello). It is a bit of an acquired taste, but having acquired it, I now find most sweetened yoghurts sickly sweet.
  • kaitlyn12osu
    Options
    Here are my favorite combos:
    -banana + SF maple syrup
    -banana + truvia + peanut butter puff cereal
    -banana + truvia + cocoa nibs
    -shredded coconut + truvia + pineapple (pina colada!)
    -any berry
    -truvia + any cereal

I definitely think if the fruit isn't that sweet that you are adding, it needs some extra sweetness, so I usually always add truvia or SF maple syrup!
  • funsover
    funsover Posts: 39
    Options
    I use agave syrup (raw). I add 1 tablespoon to 3/4 of a cup of plain greek yogurt. It is delicious. I pour it over the following meal: 1 mango, apple, 1 cup strawberries and 1/4 - 1/2 cup raw mixed nuts. It is a meal in itself. Soooo good. and no craving for dessert afterwards, because it sort of is dessert, but super healthy.

As a side note, I avoid as much as possible adding artifical sweeteners to my food, they are pure chemicals and considered to be toxic to our bodies.
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle cinnamon on my plain yogurt sometimes. I don't dislike plain. It just makes a nice change once in a while. Cinnamon adds no calories or sugar but plenty of flavor! <3
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i like to mix the fage 0% with green salsa, and use it on grilled fish. I is also fab on top of strawberries, with i tiny sprinkle of brown sugar.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using fruit spread / preserves. I eat 4oz of plain Chobani with 1 tablespoon of spread, and it's not too sweet. The nice thing about doing that is you can have many different flavors to choose from every day without paying more for all the little cups. You can choose natural and/or organic fruit spreads, if that's your style. I avoid the "sugar free" ones because they seem to have a lot more chemicals in them, so I pick the ones that are only fruit or are sweetened with regular old sugar.

I've been thinking of putting a little almond butter in there. Hmmm...
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I put frozen berries in, it keeps my yogurt cool until breakfast time, then I add about two tablespoons of flavoured just to add some flavour/sweetness.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Much like everyone else...I usually add fresh fruit and sometimes a little granola.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I add fat free sugar free vanilla powder pudding mix and drained
    crushed pineapple in natural juice, it is awsome as a dip or a pudding
    try it you will love it.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE my greek yogurt (Oikos, which has 5 less calories/serving than Chobani :P lol) with 1-2 tbsp sugar-free chocolate syrup!!!!!! Then I'll add 1/4 or 1/2 cup of Kashi cereal for some crunch if I'm in the mood. =) also delicious with fruit like every one suggested...and who doesn't love fruit dunked in chocolate?! :tongue:
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ok, this thread is hilarious to me, just because I have started buying both the fruit-flavoured and the plain greek yogurt. I couldn't stand the taste of the plain, so I was dressing it up with some maple syrup. Admittedly, this was delicious, but added a buttload of sugar and carbs to my meal (alas, I like pure maple syrup, so I didn't really fancy switching to sugar free). Then I found the flavoured fruit greek yogurt at a different grocery store (err, we Canadians are slow to the greek yogurt boat, evidently, as we only have one brand. I scooped it up because it had less sugar and carbs than my maple syrup did! :)

I love the idea of putting some low-sugar jam/preserves in it, though - gives the same effect, I'd imagine. I'll try that.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use it as a sour cream substitute as well sometimes.

To flavor it, I like a tsp. of raw honey, or 1 pump of coffee-flavoring syup (I like toffee nut--even the regular sugar kind is only about 20 cals./pump) and a heavy dose of cinnamon. So good . . .