Strange Eating Quirks, Anyone?

Options

Replies

• joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Jose, I won't invite you over for carnitas.

I keep a picture of the pig I bought in September in the dining room. I understand though.

I absolutely love carnitas and its happend to me with that one too.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I considered that a bit assholish, TBH.
    We put a lot of ourselves into our work, I can totally understand.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty unobtrusive one. I eat all of each dish (meat,veggie,whatever) before I move on to the next one (You know, like a Romulan, to you Trekkers) and I eat it in reverse order of how much I like it.

Unfortunately, I had a chef partner pick up on that, and he started watching like a hawk the order in which I ate my food and would get offended if I ate some dish he was really proud of first.

I considered that a bit assholish, TBH.

I do this, too!!
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I will eat the food item I like the least first and save the best item for last.
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love Doritos - but can only eat them with Speghettio's. I use the Dorito as a scoop for the Speghettio's. So yummy.

I also sort my skittles into color and then eat the color with the least amount. But always leave either red or purple for last - no matter how many.

I don't like to each toasted food - the only exception is actual toast and that's because I can put butter on it and it's nice and soft again.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i guess one quirk of mine would be that when i eat french fries, if i start eating them dipped in ketchup, i have to eat the rest dipped in ketchup... and find eating a few in between without it is weird. BUT when i start eating the fries without ketchup, dipping a couple in ketchup in between throws me off... i have no idea.

also--this is an east texas thing i got from my dad--i like to eat cornbread in milk. yes IN milk; put the cornbread in a glass and pour milk over it and eat it with a spoon (my dad will get crazy sometimes and scoop some butter in his spoon before getting the cornbread). people give me the weirdest looks when i tell them about it.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have to eat my food equally, with my porridge i have to have one blueberry for every bit of banana. I'm very specific when it comes to my food, not safe when someone meddles with it
  • court_alacarte
    edited November 2014
    Options
    4) Drinks his soda in a glass, no matter the container it was originally in.

this reminded me: i prefer to drink my cokes from their original cans (or bottles) and will never choose to pour it in a glass if i have the option (perhaps if i'm mixing it with alcohol it's a different story). however if it comes in a glass, a straw HAS to be involved. i find that pouring the coke over ice dilutes it and i don't get the full flavor from drinking it from the cusp of a glass.

i'm really not high maintenance, guys....

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm in good company - I eat my food least-to-most enjoyed order as well. Explains why I almost always eat my salad and veg first.

Pizza is an offshoot of this. For me, the crust is paramount, so toppings & any soggy crust bits first, pristine crust last.

I tend to pick apart multi-component desserts. I think I'm trying to make them last longer, lol. For some reason, the least tasty component often gets eaten last. Maybe subconsciously I realize it's easier to skip it if I'm already full? I eat pie and pastry fillings before crust (crust has to be perfect or I just skip it completely). Cake before frosting (if frosting is not stellar, it gets skipped). Exception is packaged snack cakes, where the frosting peels off - that gets eaten first, if I eat it at all. Then filling, if there is any. Finally cake.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    food all mixed together. FEED ME.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I have a small fork that I always use no one takes or uses my damn fork
    I have a certain order in which I eat things usually
    I put sage on everything......except desserts/fruit
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite meals is 2 scrambled eggs with 2 slices of toast w/ peanut butter. I have to have two slices of velveeta cheese on the scrambled eggs - the velveeta slices just make it gooey and yummy! I always eat one slice of toast first, then the eggs and then finish with the last slice.

I always eat colored candy grouped by colors.

When I have a salad with chicken the last bite always has to be with chicken.

I HATE pickles and will request they not be sent out with any of my food at a restaurant, if they do send them and it touches something I won't eat the part it was touching.

If i am having a meat & potato/rice meal i have to eat one piece of meat with the rice or potato and if i run out of one then i have to take more to end with both.

My ice cream has to be nuked in the microwave to soften it enough for me to stir it all up and make it like a soft serve.

I eat pudding and yogurt with a baby spoon to make it last longer.

Every bite of cake needs to have frosting and the last bit is mostly frosting with only a little bit of cake.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The one thing that really weirds people out for some reason is that I absolutely refuse to eat with the large spoons. Whenever I eat cereal, ice cream, soup, or anything requiring a spoon (unless I'm at a restaurant, and have no other available option), I'm using the tea spoons.
  • court_alacarte
    Options
    i can't believe i forgot about this one (last one, i promise):

when i get those big dill pickles like you can get at the movies, i'll eat them with something sweet like chocolate (preferably) or a coke. i just like the balance of sweet with the sour. no i'm not pregnant.
  • CeleryStick22
    CeleryStick22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything I'm particularly fanatical about...but I almost always sniff dairy (especially milk) before using it, even if I only opened it yesterday and I sniffed it previously only two hours beforehand...xD I do this at other people's houses too if I'm serving myself, if they aren't looking! But if they are looking I won't, and I don't even think about it if someone else makes, say, coffee with milk for me.

When I eat raw carrots (whole, cutting them into sticks is too much work unless I'm eating them in public) I eat around the middle stick thingy then eat that last. It's sweeter and yummy! I used to get orange stained around my mouth when I was a kid from doing this and while I have checked a few times and don't appear to any more, I won't eat whole carrots (even without going around the middle thing) in front of people in case I end up with stains xD

Whenever I make sandwiches I spend too much time trying to make sure each bite will contain some of each ingredient - cheese/ham/mayo right to the edges, tomato slices arranged so I will bite some each time...it doesn't necessarily have to be even though, uneven tomato slices are whatever! :P

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    ETA: er, white as in, the color, not the race. like white bread, mashed potatoes, lol

LOL!
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti and sauce cannot touch. If they do, i'm done. It used to be like that with all pastas but i am getting better about it. It was so bad that i ate them in separate dishes. The sauce was simply for dipping the bread in and pasta gets nothing on it.

For years i ate off of those plastic divided picnic type plates for kids so none of my food would touch. I guess i heard the expression "it all goes to the same place" enough that i got over most of that.

Nachos must be eaten with a fork. I get really strange looks at taco bell. I never knew if it was because it was weird or because i am a pro at it.

Bacon must be cooked in an oven until it disintegrates when you touch it. If there are any bits that are even slightly chewy i will gag horribly. I couldn't eat it at all until i was in my late 20's.

Rice cannot be sticky in any way. This sucks cuz sushi is delish but it's made with sticky rice. Even instant rice is hard to eat, i can never get it to the right consistency.

No frosted glass. I can't eat or drink out of a container that is frosted, not even a simple etched monogram.

I can't handle raw meat, cook it and then eat it. There has to be at least a few hours in between the prepping and the eating.

There are a lot more of these "food quirks" that i have, the non food list is a lot longer. There is a traumatic event that goes along with almost every one.

The spaghetti incident being the worst.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    1. I can't stand foods touching each other on the plate.
    2. I always have to eat food in courses in the same order: vegetables, protein, starch. I literally cannot take a bite of broccoli, have some steak, and go back to the broccoli.
    3. I eat foods like M&Ms in a specific color order.
    4. If I get something like sushi, I try to divide it up evenly. For example, if I have six pieces of salmon-avocado and two pieces of maguro, I will eat them 3-1, 3-1.
    5. I have to foods that come in small bits (candies, sushi, etc.) in even numbers.

It used to be much worse. When I was little, I would eat the skin of the hot dog before the meat. I would also eat the cheese off the pizza first, and then divide the tomatoey-moist part of the crust from the dry part in my mouth with each bite.

Sounds like you have a very logical mind. It shows in how you even listed your quirks through numbering! :)
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I also line my fries up shortest to longest - two at a time. Then when I get to the end if there's only 1 left, - i will break it in half, so it's like I'm eating 2 at one time. of if there's 3 left, i'll break 1 of those left in half so it's like i'm eating 2 at a time - then i'll have the last 2 together.

And if it is a snack from a bag - I always eat it 2 at a time.
    Like m&m's - cheetos, rice cakes, etc. If it comes from a bag and you eat it 2 at a time - I would say at least 90% of the time, you always end the bag having 2 pieces. As oppose to a handful of 5, or just 1 left, etc.

And if I have a bag of m&m's - i pour them out on the table, and arrange them by color. Then, I find the pile with the lowest amount in it. And I'll eat the difference of the other colors, in twos, til it reaches the same amount left of the pile that had the lowest # to begin with anyways....and then i'll eat 1 from each pile at one time - til the piles are all gone at the same time together.

(however, these issues - may fall under my self diagnosed OCD issue and not exactly a strange eating quirk lol)

That last bit is EXACTLY what I do. All the colors have to have the same amount. I'm so glad it's not just me XD
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I can't stand for my food to touch. And I always save my favorite thing to eat for last.

Oh, and I eat all the broth in my soups first, and then eat the other ingredients.

I do the exact opposite! I eat all the stuff in my soup and save the broth for last to drink and enjoy.