What is your plan of attack for the food heavy holiday season?

Options
1235»

Replies

• cprati
    cprati Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I plan to attack the stuffing first...because that's my favorite. I plan to eat half of what's on my plate of that before I even consider a mashed potato or turkey bite. Then I will do Turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy for a few minutes. Then I will move onto turkey with cranberry for the last half of the turkey. This is where I go back to attacking the stuffing. Then I will probably have to get up to get more stuffing and will attack anyone who gets in my way and/or is taking the last of the stuffing. Probably at this time I will pick up a dinner roll which I forgot to get in my zeal for stuffing and I will attack that roll with more butter than a paula dean episode. Then I will attack the roll and stuffing together like so much peanut butter and chocolate, corn flakes and milk, tequila and salt, pretzels and chocolate. For some reason to me the combo of a buttered roll and stuffing is a classic that is often overlooked.

Then I will rest in my LaZBoy and when I get my second wind I will attack the stuffing again, this time with cubes of turkey on top and some more gravy. As a snack. Like a rice bowl but with stuffing. Yeah stuffing. Stuffing.

This made me laugh. I'm with ya' though, Thanksgiving is all about the stuffing!!
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If one day is going to throw you completely off track, then I suggest you perfect the "no thanks, I'm on a diet" speech. I'd like to think that I can splurge for a day or so and not completely lose all my progress. I mean there's only so much a person can eat before they explode, right?

If it's a bunch of parties you're worried about (I'm jealous - I don't get invited to too many) you could always stand and mingle and dance away some of the calories.

Have fun!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I have a medical condition (Crohn's disease) that limits the amount of food (and what kind of food) I can consume without feeling deathly ill and ending up in the hospital.

What I would recommend is to enjoy the day. It happens once a year. Any weight you gain will be from water retention. Don't go overboard but remember it's okay to indulge once-in-a-while.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    avengers-ironman-plan-attack.gif
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    ^this. I chow on the protein first and in larger quantity and take a spoonful of the other stuff I love.

^This. Eat all the turkey I want and a few spoons of cranberry relish to go with it. I can take or leave the stuffing and potatoes and other sides. Meh. I'm all about the turkey, baby!
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Excercise and moderation.
    Exercise: You can fit in a workout at home, believe it or not, prior to eating your holiday meal. Get creative: cooking the bird? Do 10-20 pushups or other body weight exercise between bastings, before mashing the potatoes, setting the table etc. Each set can take less that 1 minute. Not cooking and hanging around Aunties/Mom's house? Sneak off to another room every 20-30 min to knock out a set, heck, even play with the kids. Make it a challenge to a family member to see who can do more before the meal...
    Moderation: a glass of water between drink refills and small portions, you can take your time eating, talking and socializing is part of the custom of holidays isn't it?
    Good luck, relax, it is the exception and not the norm so have fun!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I will log my coffee that day. Nothing more. I've been logging every calorie since May and have only ever had one week where I didn't lose some amount of weight. I am adding extra workouts in this week and will again next, but Thanksgiving Day will be whatever I want it to be. And I have to tell you, the thought of rolls with butter, turkey with gravy, and pecan pie x2 has been great motivation for the extra workouts this week.

Plus, all that shopping the next day is going to burn some calories right?
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    I plan to do what I did last year... eat the good stuff in moderation and fit it into my calories. Oh plus I started Thanksgiving pajama workouts with my kids last years so yeah, that's what I'll be doing. :|
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I have never been too big on holiday food. I always got made fun of as a kid, because my Thanksgiving plate had turkey, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. We aren't doing a traditional Thanksgiving this year, because hubby will not be here. We are going to visit him, but won't be having a traditional dinner.

Also not a huge sweet person, so Christmas is not too bad, but I have a weakness for Egg Nog and it's soooo bad, which is probably why it tastes sooo good! :) I think my biggest issue is going to be Christmas Day, because we normally do a big breakfast. I just plan on eating in moderation, which is something I normally didn't do.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Being from the UK makes thanksgiving a non issue as it's just another day the week for me.

Xmas day though I plan on an early start to the day, assuming I can get out of bed due to getting home from work about 2am the night before, and going for a long run around 10 miles I would think to counter the fact I intend on not holding back!!!