__drmerc__ wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If you are drinking a LOT of coffee, the caffeine could be dehydrating you and screwing up your electrolytes. One of the posters mentioned a lack of magnesium and that will definitely cause muscles to be very sore and crampy. Too much caffeine can cause a large dump of magnesium and other macro-minerals. What about switching to water with added lemon or dilute fruit juice, for some of your fluid intake? When you say that your urine is "darker" do you mean darker yellow (dehydration) or brown? Dark yellow is normal when one is dehydrated. Tea-colored or dark brown/reddish brown is abnormal and should be investigated by a doc.

This is not the stupidest post in this thread, but it is close

There's a way to disagree without being an offensive as$. Which claims do you disagree with? Caffeine is known to be diuretic in high doses. And brownish urine is known to be a potentially bad medical sign, especially post-exercise.

OP - your coffee intake is fine.

But name calling is OK? Coffee has more than caffeine in it, it has water too...

OP never said her urine was brown.

1.) I never said that coffee doesn't have fluid in it, but OP said that she lives on coffee and that would seem to indicate a very high caffeine intake. As it is, her caffeine intake would not appear to be excessive. 2.) I suggested that OP get to a doc IF her urine was brown. 3.) And just judging a post to be "stupid" and not picking a point that you disagree with, does nothing to further a civilized discussion. Why are you being so rude? Everything I said is correct. I'm trying to help OP--are you?

The post was stupid. Should I put on kid gloves for you?

Rude is subjective

You did not say IF. You are trying to change your argument

What amount of coffee would one have to drink to become dehydrated? (Hint: not possible)

No--it was not stupid. The "IF" would have been assumed by anyone who read the post. I KNOW that OP never said that her urine was brown--I was merely supplying information in case it WAS. I am really NOT trying to be argumentative which apparently YOU are. Rude is NOT subjective and I am not the only one who thought you were being rude.

One could easily become dehydrated "living on coffee". There is little to no sodium in it and in the absence of a sufficient quantity of "real" food, the individual could easily become dehydrated (as well as having other electrolyte issues). You are incorrect.

Rude is subjective.

He's not being rude but you are being argumentative.

Thank you, I think she is trying to goad me into a fight for some reason.

And how is it that you think I am a "she"?

Your profile................

And why would you creep my profile?

So I could show you the respect of referring to you as the correct gender

Mmm--so you could show respect by referring to me with the correct pronoun, but be completely disrespectful otherwise. How nice of you.

Lady, just stop.
    You're annoyed with him and calling him rude. Just stop engaging him and walk away from this thread.

To the contrary, I would say that I have apparently annoyed him and you, for some reason. I will walk away from the thread when I am ready. Thank you for being so concerned.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I feel like I'm getting sick after I work out hard for a few days straight. This is because your immune system is weaker resulting from the breakdown of tissue and the exertion... and possibly elevated core temperature. You'll find that with drinking more water and sleeping more... you'll reduce this feeling.

Wouldn't a weakened immune system result in a smaller immune response instead of larger?

That would be context dependent. Speaking in general terms, a weakened immune system is not as capable of repair and fending off disease. So in that sense the response is smaller (lower magnitude). On the other hand, whatever job needs doing takes longer, if it is capable of finishing at all. So you'll be feeling the effects of the immune response + existing damage/illness longer. In that sense the response is larger (chronic vs acute).

Yes, immune function is very complex. Some elements of it can be excited while other parts of it "refuse" to do their jobs. Many extra-long-distance runners find that they are plagued with one infection after another.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My pee is rainbow colored and has ice crystals in it. My bladder is like an ice cream truck.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking a LOT of coffee, the caffeine could be dehydrating you and screwing up your electrolytes. One of the posters mentioned a lack of magnesium and that will definitely cause muscles to be very sore and crampy. Too much caffeine can cause a large dump of magnesium and other macro-minerals. What about switching to water with added lemon or dilute fruit juice, for some of your fluid intake? When you say that your urine is "darker" do you mean darker yellow (dehydration) or brown? Dark yellow is normal when one is dehydrated. Tea-colored or dark brown/reddish brown is abnormal and should be investigated by a doc.

This is not the stupidest post in this thread, but it is close

I think your Subway thread wins.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Flu-like symptoms after lifting isn't normal. Please see your doctor.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your adrenals can't handle the stress. Light walking for now.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP: I remember a time when many people would have automatically said it was overtraining due to the psychological and physical symptoms (particularly if you are suffering form sleep disruption). Since most people don't think overtraining is very common, and likely isn't, then you are best to consult a medical professional. Personally, I would just listen to your body and take a week off and if you are still feeling this way then it is time to see a doctor. If it gets worse in the mean time also seek attention since this could be a lot of things.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This thread is funny. Carry on
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ty Kaci and for the original poster of this thread. I frequently get flu-like after I push hard physically and I do have hypothyroidism. It has been almost impossible to maintain a regular exercise schedule. I might be fine for a few days to a few weeks and then boom and it lasts on and off for days to weeks. My throat gets raw and I am exhausted. Any and all suggestions about how to take care of my body with this damn hypothyroid condition that would help me to maintain a consistent exercise program would be greatly appreciated. I do have a medical team and they give me the Rx thyroid stuff and then just throw their hands up and say "it's in your head", or better yet "your just getting older" or "you just need to be consistent". Yeah, I know Doc.