Help - Very low BMR - need to lose inches for wedding but getting bigger!

Options
geenasc
geenasc Posts: 9 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,

I am 44 and have a wedding in 4 weeks and I need to lose around 2 inches that I gained recently off my hips to be able to fit into my wedding dress. I entered my stats in myfitnesspal app and since I have a very low BMR (current weight 45 kg, 1.58 m, BMR around 1164), the app suggested a 1200 calorie diet. One month ago I started following this diet and upped my exercise to 1 hour (45 minutes cardio, 15 minutes weight lifting for different area each day). I seem to have lost inches around my belly and chest, but although I initially lost an inch off my hips, I seem to be regaining inches. I am not interested losing weight, just want to get a more toned bottom. Also I feel tired most of the day. There must be something I am doing wrong. I feel this caloric intake may be too low, but do not know how to get toned in such a short time with such a low BMR? Any ideas?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Edit: never mind. Good luck, is all.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    How about a nice pair of Spanx? That could bring in your hips 2".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's the only option in such a short time frame
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    +1 for spanx. You are already tiny, and it might be that your body carries weight in the hips. You can't spot-reduce fat. Your body chooses which fat goes from where when you lose it. If you want to tone, try pilates and yoga. For a good burn that will help you drop inches, try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. If you are tired all the time, you probably need to eat more. ;)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ummm, you're underweight already. That's why you're tired all the time. You know what you're doing wrong? You're dieting when you shouldn't be. At 5'2" you shouldn't be weighing 99 lbs.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's the only option in such a short time frame

(*)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ummm, you're underweight already. That's why you're tired all the time. You know what you're doing wrong? You're dieting when you shouldn't be. At 5'2" you shouldn't be weighing 99 lbs.

This. You should have bought a wedding dress in a size that fits!
  • geenasc
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I actually did not buy the dress, it was tailor made for me five months ago. I am a very small framed person, but due to some hormone related problems I gained weight (not much, just 1-2 kg) and it all went to my bottom. Therefore, I am trying to get back to where I was actually, it is not an unrealistic goal for me. I agree with the ones who say I shouldn't be dieting but I don't know how to get back to my former physique, hence the question. I will try spanx if all fails. It seems I need to up my calorie intake, continue the exercise regime.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    geenasc wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I actually did not buy the dress, it was tailor made for me five months ago. I am a very small framed person, but due to some hormone related problems I gained weight (not much, just 1-2 kg) and it all went to my bottom. Therefore, I am trying to get back to where I was actually, it is not an unrealistic goal for me. I agree with the ones who say I shouldn't be dieting but I don't know how to get back to my former physique, hence the question. I will try spanx if all fails. It seems I need to up my calorie intake, continue the exercise regime.

It is standard for seamstresses to do alterations in the weeks running up to the wedding

get them to adjust the dress to fit you perfectly and have a wonderful wedding day
  • geenasc
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It is standard for seamstresses to do alterations in the weeks running up to the wedding

get them to adjust the dress to fit you perfectly and have a wonderful wedding day

Thank you :)
  • geenasc
    Options
    Btw, why did I get flagged?
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ooohhhhh Weddings are exciting! Congrats! I think you are perfect for what you are and should really look into getting that dress altered. It might cost you a bit, but its better than trying to kill yourself before the wedding.

As to being tired all the time, I hope you are taking your vitamin supplements, especially if you are not getting it from your normal diet. I take a powder form of women's vitamins (that I throw in my protein shake) and it has helped me a lot in staying active and alert. I consume around 1000 to 1200 calories a day (since I'm only 5' tall, trying to lose weight, and am pretty much have an office job). Maybe lifting some weights in your target area and doing a little more cardio will help. But really, I think you are fine.
  • geenasc
    Options
    Thank you MamaP47 :)

Yes, I think I am excited and that's why I'm going a bit crazy about those 2 inches. I am not taking supplements and I think I better do. I really have long exercise sessions (for me at least) and it seems I have not been getting enough nutrients. I am so new to this.

We seem to be on similar boats. I have an office job where I sit all day too. And you are a tiny person too. I wish you success in your journey. You sound much more informed than I am.

Also, thank you for your kind words.

Cheers

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Btw, why did I get flagged?

because people can be idiots

ignore it - it's a broken system
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I am not much bigger than you. 5'1 and 104lb and am eating 1200 cal per day.
    I have just upped my exercise routine ( I eat back 50%) and was feeling really tired so I have started having a protein shake ( never thought I would ever drink one) along with a multi vitamin and calcium.
    I have found the protein shake helps me reach my protein goal for the day and has helped aliviate my tiredness while only adding 140 cals.
    Give a protein shake a try if you are working out more than usual.
    If all else fails- spanx- ugh not the sexiest of wedding gear.
    Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh try doing lunges and squat whenever you have a spare moment. If you can weight them all the better. I do them while cooking, drying dishes, waiting for coffee, walking around the house is now done in lunges unless I am in a rush.
    I am hoping every little bit will help put some shape in my bottom. Hahaha.
  • geenasc
    Options
    Thanks middlehaitch, I agree spanx is not very sexy on your wedding day. I will certainly give protein shakes a try. Anything that helps me get the nutrients I need and gets my brain off sleeping :) I have been doing lunges and squats, sumo squats, etc for 15 minutes every other day. But incorporating them in your daily activities is a fun idea, it will certainly make me smile. Do you eat back 50% of your exercise calories? Am I understanding correct? I have been guarding my exercise calories like gold in central bank of geenaland :P But I understand this is something I should do too. Are you still seeing results?
  • geenasc
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Middlehaitch, I just looked at your profile picture. You look amazing! You are certainly seeing results :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges, etc, isn't going to help you fit into a wedding dress in 4 weeks. I agree with the person who said to have it altered. Yes, eat some of your exercise calories. You have been eating too little, this is why you are tired. The amount MFP tells you to eat does not include exercise so you would lose weight if you didn't do any exercise. When you do, you need more fuel. Eating too little actually makes hormonal problems worse, it raises cortisol which is a stress hormone.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Being tired and gaining inches in a short time can be signs of overtraining. I know you said you're only exercising an hour a day but I wouldn't start doing more, I'd do less. Gaining inches on that low of intake has got to be water weight. You're under a lot of stress, adding physical stresses doesn't help. I'd relax and not worry about reshaping your butt in 4 weeks. Or try some yoga. Relieves stress, makes nice butts... win/win!

Good luck!