What changed, besides weight, after losing a lot of weight?

Hi all

Would be interesting to know how you, your outlook on life, the things you now do, or even the people in your life changed after losing a lot of weight? I have watched some weightloss shows and have seen how some people leave a relationship/marriage after losing weight. Or they left their job for a new career.

So, besides the number on the scale, what else changed for you?

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited November 2014
    I became an athlete for the first time in my life. I look younger. I feel like I went back in time. I did lose some friends because we no longer had anything in common regarding my liking to be active and them not so much. I quit smoking. I stopped drinking nearly as much.
  • MaroneLotz
    MaroneLotz Posts: 43 Member
    I became an athlete for the first time in my life. I look younger. I feel like I went back in time. I did lose some friends because we no longer had anything in common regarding my liking to be active and them not so much. I quit smoking. I stopped drinking nearly as much.

You are sporting some serious guns there! Well done to you!
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    I've lost around 10kg by now and I can think quicker, I can actually run and enjoy it, and I enjoy cooking and getting outdoors. :) these things did not happen before at all!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    I'm thinking of doing a tough mudder. If you'd asked me to do that a year ago I would have called you insane
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    I hope this doesnt sound too conceited, but I feel pretty lol. I had felt unattractive for so many years, I just assumed I'd still feel that way, only thin.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Back in the day I lost 50 pounds (until a couple of beautiful babies have since destroyed my body ;) ) For me, it changed SO MUCH. I was always physically fit and active, even when I was quite overweight, so that stayed the same. I became SO much more confident with myself in my own skin. It genuinely made me happy! I always thought I would be too hard on myself and think that I'd never look good no matter how much weight I lost, but that wasn't the case. I remember buying a little string bikini and just ogling over my body in the mirror. Of course one of the main reasons for my weight loss was to have babies, however I wasn't expecting to get a positive pregnancy test the same week I bought that bikini. :( Lol! Anyway, its an amazing feeling. Can't wait to get back in shape after little man is born.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    I set a goal for myself and accomplished it. I took control over something that I thought I had no control over ( my eating).
    Makes me thing about many other goals I still would like accomplish.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Oddly enough, I have more than one iron in the fire at a time. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm going to college and working on my third degree at the same time. In a way, I think success in one area encourages success in others.
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    mamadon wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't sound too conceited, but I feel pretty lol. I had felt unattractive for so many years, I just assumed I'd still feel that way, only thin.

Not conceited at all! It is great to hear.
  • goldenweasel
    goldenweasel Posts: 17 Member
    i've dropped from 116kg down to 77kg and i LOVE clothes shopping now :smiley: i also love exercising and i'm not afraid to try new physical things because i'm not so afraid of failing now. one thing that has changed that i dont like is this crinkly excess skin i'm going to have forever! i try not to dislike it, and be proud of the weight thats gone and the health i've gained ... but i do wish i didnt have that extra skin, its icky! :)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    I hope this doesnt sound too conceited, but I feel pretty lol. I had felt unattractive for so many years, I just assumed I'd still feel that way, only thin.

You are pretty and I love that you can see that! That's encouraging. I hope that happens for me and my brain kicks in sometime and starts letting me see what is really there instead of what I've been so used to seeing.

As for me… greater self-control. Not just in eating or exercise, but in other areas of my life too. An addiction (not food) that I've struggled with for 20 years is now in control. I wouldn't say it's completely gone yet, but it is now something I control rather than it controlling me. For years I wondered if this was going to be something I was just going to have to fight for the rest of my life. But now it doesn't feel like it's something I have to fight anymore. Maybe it's not totally beaten, but it has stopped being a fight.
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    Palamedes wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I have more than one iron in the fire at a time. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm going to college and working on my third degree at the same time. In a way, I think success in one area encourages success in others.

I never considered this before. I finished my first degree. After that, since I keep getting injured in the gym (hernia - that required a 1 1/2 for finding a surgeon for the surgery and healing), heart issues, and pulled muscles), I decided to take a NASM course to become a fitness trainer. I know why I keep getting hurt! Too much, too quick. Even wrong exercises by untrained "trainers" etc. So, I am also taking Corrective Exercise Training. Even though I was previously trained for basic nutrition, I am also taking the Weight Loss Course. It is interesting to consider that the thinking that leads to one success (and that triumph) can spark the determination that creates more and more successes. I am determined to know my body and make it fit.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I am more content and happy.
    My favorite thing about losing weight is being able to buy normal sized clothing and not having to shop in the plus size department.

I love being able to walk and hike for hours without getting tired. Before, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without becoming out of breath.
  • MaroneLotz
    MaroneLotz Posts: 43 Member

Well, you should feel pretty because you sure look pretty! Well done on your transformation so far.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,434 Member
    Oh my gosh, great thread! I can climb my beloved Adirondack Mountains and I love my dresser again! :bigsmile: I never stopped to realize that my dresser drawers got "too darn small" because my clothes got so darn BIG! I have so much more room in my drawers, closet and I love it! <3
  • Palamedes wrote: »

You are so right! I did this in reverse. I went back to school and got my degree. That prompted the feeling that I could do anything so next on the list was to tackle my weight. Still working on it. :smile: I also did a 5K (walk) and signed up for another, working my way up to C25K (not much of a runner), and I climbed Stone Mountain twice. I totally agree that success encourages success.

• mamadon wrote: »

Nothing the slightest bit conceited about it. Glad to see you basking in some well-earned confidence. Great job!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    I ran my boobs off!
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Attitude to everything! I have a can do attitude to everything I attempt now rather than half arsed attempting at things and falling short. I actually expect to win and to complete the things I start.
  • Aleishia22
    Aleishia22 Posts: 11 Member
    I'm in the process of losing weight and I already have friends telling me that they're not going to hang out with me anymore when I reach my goal because "I'll be too hot". They say it jokingly but I'm nervous that it may be true. Did anyone experience that? Am I going to lose friends because I'm not the " funny fat one" anymore?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!