Yay or Nay on Fruit?

Options
I'm always tweaking my maintenance eating in hopes to beating the statistical odds of regaining.

And as I have incorporated more and more veggies, I've found myself eating less & less fruit. After some research, I'm contemplating if there is even a reason to consume fruit if I'm getting the comparable vitamins & nutrients from veggies but at a fraction of the calories, carbs, & sugar of fruit.

Thoughts?

Replies

• DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you like fruit, eat it.
    If you don't, don't.

Life shouldn't have any "hands off" foods.

Eat what you like. Eat at a deficit. Exercise.

ENJOY LIFE
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You don't 'have' to eat fruit, but if you do, try to eat it before 1pm or so. Stick it in a shake for sweetness or in yogurt. I have about 2-3 cups a day of fruit max. I eat a lot of veggies myself.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    Moderation. HealthFirst (Hirsch) says 3-4 portions a day, with a portion being what will fit in the palm of your hand. An apple is one, banana is two, only enough grapes to fit in your cupped hand. I like to eat an apple half an hour before dinner. I find it helps me with portion control because I am not as hungry when I sit down to the meal.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A while back, someone posted a picture of a giant bowl of fruit with the caption "nature's Skittles." While I didn't really agree with the person posting it, I did like the picture, and it's stuck in my head ever since. I think it's a fitting description of what fruit basically is -- a great, wholesome treat.

As you discovered, you can get the same nutrients from vegetables without the sugar load. On that account, fruit is not necessary as long as you're getting the nutrients from elsewhere (fun fact - certain cuts of meat have more nutrients than even the "powerhouse" vegetables, so it's actually possible to thrive without plant matter altogether, given the right dietary execution).

Now, that doesn't mean you have to avoid fruits, especially since you're at maintenance, but if sugar is something you want/have to monitor for whatever reason, you don't have to feel guilty for choosing the spinach salad (or even the pate) over the fruit salad.

You can also be discerning about the fruits you do eat. Berries, for example, have a higher fiber and nutrient content for their sugar load than most other fruits, making them a great choice for when you want some fruit.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great for vitamins, nutrients, and fiber. Plus, they taste great. You don't have to have them, but they make for great healthy treats (if you want to think about them this way). As long as you are within your calorie and macro goals for the day, I wouldn't worry about the sugar (if that is a concern). I've never seen anyone get overweight from eating too many apples.

Allan
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Fruit has nutrients and fiber, just treat like a dessert.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You don't 'have' to eat fruit, but if you do, try to eat it before 1pm or so. Stick it in a shake for sweetness or in yogurt. I have about 2-3 cups a day of fruit max. I eat a lot of veggies myself.

The only part that you should follow is the bolded. Timing makes no difference as long as you brush your teeth well before going to bed, especially after eating fruit because of the acids and sugar and the potential effect on teeth.

Seriously though, fruit is yummy but not essential as long as you are getting the micronutrients and fiber from other foods.

58841349.png
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm reading this as I'm noshing on a big bowl of grapes. :smile:

If you're satisfied with just veggies then I guess there's no reason you HAVE to include fruit in your diet, but you should also be cautious about getting too restrictive with food.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I like fruit in the morning to sweeten my plain yogurt and not very sweet granola or muesli. I like it on salad to perk up the flavor of greens dressed in balsamic vinegar and lemon juice.

One thing many fruits give you is fiber, which isn't as frequent in veggies. If you don't really want fruit - and it's expensive and often sprayed with pesticides - there's lots of other ways of getting that.

Personally, I often need those calories, because I tend towards being too low.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... I'm not sure. Seems like it would be good to have fruit at least once a week but I have no basis for that. I have heard it's better to eat more veggies than fruit though.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. Fruit is healthy for you
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The only part that you should follow is the bolded. Timing makes no difference as long as you brush your teeth well before going to bed, especially after eating fruit because of the acids and sugar and the potential effect on teeth.

Seriously though, fruit is yummy but not essential as long as you are getting the micronutrients and fiber from other foods.

+1 Food timing has no scientific basis, although some people can have indigestion if they eat too late at night.

If fruit doesn't grab you, you can certainly get all your vitamins and minerals (and less sugar) with just veggies. Oh, and I'm happy to eat your fruit. :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't have a sweet tooth, really, so I pick more vegetables than fruit. That said, I try and get one a day at least. Vitamin C is a little harder to find in vegetables.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Why must you eat fruit before 1 pm?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

If you have to ask. . . . .uh oh.

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The only organisms that have to worry about food timing are called Mogwai.

They definitely shouldn't eat after midnight.

Bad stuff happens.

• ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

If you have to ask. . . . .uh oh.

Apparently I missed this memo as well. I missed a lot of memos from the 1990's though :) Consequently, I enjoy lots of fruit after 1pm. It goes well with my protein and fats.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have fruit occasionally, typically with Greek yogurt, or an apple chopped in oatmeal, but I don't find it filling at all.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, so I eat lots of it! If you like fruit, eat it. Simple as that, we don't need to complicate things :)
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Eat it. Especially bananas, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and apples.