To Keto, Or Not To Keto: That is the question.

Options
12346»

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    This is a good article.
    theketogenicdiet.org/what-is-the-ketogenic-diet/

I especially like this part:

"Why does the ketogenic diet work?"

"The ketogenic diet works much like any other diet: by limiting the amount of calories you consume, thereby creating a caloric deficit where the body burns more energy than it takes in. That is the fundamental science of weight loss, and while the “a calorie is a calorie” argument is subject to much debate, few will argue that all successful diets rely on caloric restriction, one way or another."
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You can't give someone margarine and insist it's butter.

You just made my point.

The difference between Keto and phase I Atkins is more akin to the difference between ice cream and gelato.

Your margarine/butter reference is hyperbolic and completely overblows the minor differences between the two.

Also, I believe the Atkins you were referring to as a form of epilepsy control is a modified version of the Atkins induction phase..also known as MAD. It is pretty much Atkins induction modified to be more similar to keto but with less restrictions.

They actually called it "modified Atkins", but it's actually just the original Atkins Phase I.

If it's just the original why is it called (mad) modified Atkins diet? Probably because it's modified. MAD is not the same as Atkins induction. It is more restrictive than Atkins induction but less restrictive than keto.

keto and MAD are both lchf. The macro requirements are slightly different. Keto is lower carb and higher fat..more restrictive. It's splitting hairs..but they are different..and actual Atkins is even more different.

It's like saying 8 oz is the same exact amount as 9.75 oz. The difference is small but they are not the same. If MAD was keto they would just call it keto.

I'm done with this conversation. It's not helpful to the op. You're obviously going to keep insisting they are the same..even though everything written about them explicitly states that Atkins was modified to create mad which was modified because keto was very restrictive and annoying for teens and adults with epilepsy. Key word being modified.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    This is a good article.
    theketogenicdiet.org/what-is-the-ketogenic-diet/

I especially like this part:

"Why does the ketogenic diet work?"

"The ketogenic diet works much like any other diet: by limiting the amount of calories you consume, thereby creating a caloric deficit where the body burns more energy than it takes in. That is the fundamental science of weight loss, and while the “a calorie is a calorie” argument is subject to much debate, few will argue that all successful diets rely on caloric restriction, one way or another."

For people just trying to lose weight..that's all diets are: a calorie deficit. Eat the foods you like and give yourself a deficit. Simple.

For people with bipolar disorder, type 2 diabetes, reactive hypoglycemia, epilepsy, migraines, heart problems..it's way more than that. Each person with problems like the ones I listed (op, for example) should take their health issues into account and find a specific diet that either helps and/or doesn't exacerbate their symptoms. That's part of the reason for the hair splitting about the diets. I have to eat keto macros.. The other macros don't work for my body. Therefore, I don't see them as the same..because I don't feel the same on those other diets with different macros. They're not as effective for me. A healthy person might not even notice the slight differences. OP is not technically healthy so I found it important to explain that they are different in case it would make a difference to her.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    s_pekz wrote: »
    well this is going well.

Also, OP if you seriously have that many health problems then I would not make any changes in my diet before consulting my regular physician.

Does telling someone to seek medical advice qualify as giving medical advice?

:drinker:

200.gif

Also OP you might want to come in with a better attitude if you are asking for peoples help.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    well this is going well.

Also, OP if you seriously have that many health problems then I would not make any changes in my diet before consulting my regular physician.

200.gif

Also OP you might want to come in with a better attitude if you are asking for peoples help.
    OP hasn't been back since we spoke up about her attitude.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    well this is going well.

200.gif

OP hasn't been back since we spoke up about her attitude.

Well, mission accomplished, I guess, right?