Quit trying to intimidate with big words

2456710

Replies

  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Hippopotamus is a big word. It has many letters and many syllables. I feel like we don't talk enough about hippopotamuses around here.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    This thread is insultificating and I for one will not stand for the brutalizerization of innocent members of this community who are only here to practice some kumbayayasisterhood. If you won't reliquisherize the postifications made hereoninwith we cannot be responsible for the repercussionations that might resultify.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The internet is one of the few refuges I have left to express the full breadth of my vocabulary.

    I was cooking with my daughter and granddaughter the other day and I asked if I could use their "colander". My daughter asked if I could use the other word for it so they could know what I was talking about. Oh yeah, a sieve. Sheesh. So many great words, so few places to use them.

    Sieve is not the first word that would come to mind for that.
    Colander or strainer. It is a sieve but still... lol
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    People absolutely should refer to scientific terms when... science.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Balderdash!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    603reader wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The internet is one of the few refuges I have left to express the full breadth of my vocabulary.

    I was cooking with my daughter and granddaughter the other day and I asked if I could use their "colander". My daughter asked if I could use the other word for it so they could know what I was talking about. Oh yeah, a sieve. Sheesh. So many great words, so few places to use them.

    Sieve is not the first word that would come to mind for that.
    Colander or strainer. It is a sieve but still... lol

    I am distracted by the blinding light emanating from your groinal region. I think I need to report this for the way it makes me feel. Also, is that heaven?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Yurippe wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument
    Every time I don't know what something is I google. Wish I hadn't.
    The enzymatic pathway for converting dietary carbohydrate (CHO) into fat, or de novo lipogenesis (DNL), is present in humans, whereas the capacity to convert fats into CHO does not exist. Here, the quantitative importance of DNL in humans is reviewed, focusing on the response to increased intake of dietary CHO. Eucaloric replacement of dietary fat by CHO does not induce hepatic DNL to any substantial degree. Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure (TEE). Instead, dietary CHO replaces fat in the whole-body fuel mixture, even in the post-absorptive state. Body fat is thereby accrued, but the pathway of DNL is not traversed; instead, a coordinated set of metabolic adaptations, including resistance of hepatic glucose production to suppression by insulin, occurs that allows CHO oxidation to increase and match CHO intake. Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans. Under most dietary conditions, the two major macronutrient energy sources (CHO and fat) are therefore not interconvertible currencies; CHO and fat have independent, though interacting, economies and independent regulation. The metabolic mechanisms and physiologic implications of the functional block between CHO and fat in humans are discussed, but require further investigation.

    Telling people that isocaloric diets that contain a higher % of carbohydrates absolutely do not cause more fat gain would be counter to the sugar is the debbil hypothesis so many scientists and users promote here...

  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Quit being intimidated by big words.

  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Also, Google. It's free.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument

    Ummm... That's not French, it's actually Latin.

    Robert-Downey-Jr-laughing.gif
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    The fact that you think people use "big" words in an effort to make you feel inferior says way more about you than it ever will about them.

    I love words. I love reading about words, learning new words and learning the etymology of words.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument

    Excuse me sir, do you have a problem with French people? Je me comprends pas pourquoi, nous sommes des personnes comme les autres... ;)

    Il ne peut pas l'aider. Il est un imbécile!

    Did you just call the OP an unhelpful imbecile?

  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    SwannySez wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The internet is one of the few refuges I have left to express the full breadth of my vocabulary.

    I was cooking with my daughter and granddaughter the other day and I asked if I could use their "colander". My daughter asked if I could use the other word for it so they could know what I was talking about. Oh yeah, a sieve. Sheesh. So many great words, so few places to use them.

    Sieve is not the first word that would come to mind for that.
    Colander or strainer. It is a sieve but still... lol

    I am distracted by the blinding light emanating from your groinal region. I think I need to report this for the way it makes me feel. Also, is that heaven?

    Interestingly enough, I've had this pic up for 3 weeks and you're the first to comment on the fact that my vag is glowing.
  • superslug375
    superslug375 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm not sure what bothers me more. The fact this thread exists or that I even took the time to read it.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    The fact that you think people use "big" words in an effort to make you feel inferior says way more about you than it ever will about them.

    I love words. I love reading about words, learning new words and learning the etymology of words.

    ^^ This. Don't complain about the unfamiliar; take action to learn more about it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2014
    The fact that you think people use "big" words in an effort to make you feel inferior says way more about you than it ever will about them.

    I love words. I love reading about words, learning new words and learning the etymology of words.

    Deer-popcorn.gif
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument

    Excuse me sir, do you have a problem with French people? Je me comprends pas pourquoi, nous sommes des personnes comme les autres... ;)

    Il ne peut pas l'aider. Il est un imbécile!

    Did you just call the OP an unhelpful imbecile?

    _John_ how dare you call the OP an unhelpful imbecile? That's abuse.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    603reader wrote: »
    SwannySez wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The internet is one of the few refuges I have left to express the full breadth of my vocabulary.

    I was cooking with my daughter and granddaughter the other day and I asked if I could use their "colander". My daughter asked if I could use the other word for it so they could know what I was talking about. Oh yeah, a sieve. Sheesh. So many great words, so few places to use them.

    Sieve is not the first word that would come to mind for that.
    Colander or strainer. It is a sieve but still... lol

    I am distracted by the blinding light emanating from your groinal region. I think I need to report this for the way it makes me feel. Also, is that heaven?

    Interestingly enough, I've had this pic up for 3 weeks and you're the first to comment on the fact that my vag is glowing.

    GET! OUT!

    First thing I saw. I suppose that says more about me than big words.