Getting a bit obsessed with exercise. Where do I find the right balance?

Options

Replies

• Super_sarah96
    Super_sarah96 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Ok had a quick look. You are 18 and I tend to feel that many young people who post on the forums dont understand enough about weight loss and they have unrealistic expectations at the speed in which it can be moved.

If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

So ideally you should be aiming for 1lb a week, according to MFP. You could try for 2, but once you start obsessing about going over that, then its likely to be too fast.

The aim is to start your diet and make sure you reach target by finishing and not quitting. If you are unrealistic, then you are more likely to burn out and binge or give up because you are making it too hard for yourself and not being patient. You might start off well, but you wont keep it up. This goes for exercise and dieting. Classic hare and tortoise.
    I have looked at your diatu and noticed 2 things that cause concern.

1.You are not eating enough. You need to eat a min 1200 or whatever MFP suggests, which may be more than this. I prefer to see 1400-1500, but 12 is the minimum hence MFP doesnt go any lower. On your current calories your body will not be getting enough nutrition and you will lose weight too fast. 800 is unsustainable and unsafe.

2. You are not logging properly, which is one of the foundations of MFP. Log every day, control your deficit and make sure it is accurate. No idea if you are weighing, but doesnt look like it.

You need to address 1 and 2 as a matter of urgency if you want to lose weight in a safe and sustainable way. Get some MFP friends who can keep an eye on your diet. 5 fruit and veg + and some lean protein would be pretty standard.

Please can we know your current weight and target weight?

Exercise

If you want to use exercise then realise it requires you to do a lot to actually be responsible for weight loss. As a rule of thumn if 1lb in weight is 3500 calories, then that would mean 7 sessions of ((45-60 min)burning 500 calories would burn off 1lb.

Theres nothing wrong with exercise, but what you wnat to avoid is burnout and possibly injury, You will have a more effective regime if you plan it out and pace yourself, with a definite idea of what you are trying to achieve. I would suggest:

1. Increase your day to day activity by walking more.
    2. Start off with going to the gym 3x a week and do a combined regime of cardio and weights. Start with what you can manage and then increase amounts as you go along. Weights are good becayse they give you better shape. You could do cardio 6 days a week, but you have to adjust it to what your body can manage and resist the temptation and urgency to go too fast too soon.
    3. Find some exercise that you enjoy. Swimming or sport are good alternatives.

Please do things dafely and intelligently as we would like you to succeed , but also avoid developing an eating disorder or burning out. If you use the site properly and get a combined stragey of diet and exercise thats safe and sustainable then you will lose weight over time if your are consistent.

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    Thanks so much this really helped. You're right I don't know much about eating right as exercising, doing the best that I can. I don't feel comfortable sharing my weight sorry. I didn't know you could view how much I ate....and I've tried looking online for exercising plans but I usually go longer than it says
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    My exercise pattern is random
    Find a structured program. Random exercising doesn't do much more than waste energy.

What are your fitness goals? Run a 5K? Lift something heavy? Climb a mountain?

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Just so you know...You can quote a response and then type your message in the same box. Easier to read.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Just so you know...You can quote a response and then type your message in the same box. Easier to read.

^^ This.
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    My school schedule is different everyday, so that's why my exercise pattern is random. I exercise when I get the chance, but it's a daily routine
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Step away from the treadmill.
    Yes, 4 hours is obsessive, especially on a 1200ish diet, where most days you're eating in the 800ish range. I would seek professional help.
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    My exercise pattern is random
    Find a structured program. Random exercising doesn't do much more than waste energy.

What are your fitness goals? Run a 5K? Lift something heavy? Climb a mountain?

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    My exercise patterns revolve around my school schedule that changes daily. I'm not going for anything in particular, just trying to lose weight
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »
    I spend hours a week exercising but then again I'm aspiring to be an endurance athlete. I also think about it all the time. It's what I do. It's my health, my social time(usually run/ride with friends, my sanity and most of all my enjoyment. I'm currently eating at a deficit to drop some unwanted weight. I don't see a problem with an exercise obsession AS LONG AS it's for the right reasons and you are getting proper nutrition.

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    That's awesome! Good luck with your athletic goals. And thanks for the input
  • arditarose
    Options
    My exercise patterns revolve around my school schedule that changes daily. I'm not going for anything in particular, just trying to lose weight

You don't need all that cardio to lose weight!!! You need a calorie deficit. I know these boards get old and tiring with "I did this and I did that"...but....here it comes, I lost more weight once I stopped doing cardio and focused on my food (and lifting).
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. Now I plan out my week and what type of exercises I do for each day. I usually give myself 1-2 days during the week to rest and I try not to count my calories on those days too because I tend to under eat or try to burn off all the calories I eat that day. Weekends are my favorite days because I'll spend an hour and half to two hours doing cardio. I always think about exercising but planning out what I do throughout the week makes it less stressful and I worry a little less. With my plan I've been able to lose at least 1 lb a week sometimes a little more and other weeks none at all. Weight is a tricky thing, be kind to yourself and take care of yourself!

• Super_sarah96
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you. I lose about 3 pounds a week, I'll try a schedule like you said
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

^^ This.

Didn't know that, thank you
  • arditarose
    Options
    Super_sarah can you please hit "quote" and type your reply to it in the SAME box. You are blowing up my notifications like whoa.
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Step away from the treadmill.
    Yes, 4 hours is obsessive, especially on a 1200ish diet, where most days you're eating in the 800ish range. I would seek professional help.

It's nothing serious enough for me to get help, I just need to learn how to plan. But thank you anyway
  • Super_sarah96
    Options

You don't need all that cardio to lose weight!!! You need a calorie deficit. I know these boards get old and tiring with "I did this and I did that"...but....here it comes, I lost more weight once I stopped doing cardio and focused on my food (and lifting).

I focus on both. I don't have access to weights and I enjoy cardio but thank you
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    Super_sarah can you please hit "quote" and type your reply to it in the SAME box. You are blowing up my notifications like whoa.

Sorry about that. Am I doing it right this time?
  • arditarose
    edited November 2014
    Options

I focus on both. I don't have access to weights and I enjoy cardio but thank you

Well you are the one who said you might be obsessed with exercise. Since we have ascertained that you are not an athlete in training, most of us have agreed. This is all the advice we can give you. You don't sound open to changing anything so, good luck. Please make sure to get a rest day in. No matter what anyone says, whether we disagree that you are exercising too much or not, you need a rest day. Wish you the best.

And yes, you're doing the quote thing right now.