Getting a bit obsessed with exercise. Where do I find the right balance?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You're undereating (in terms of caloric and nutritional inake), admittedly obsessive, but claim you don't have a disorder ... yet you'd rather not tell anyone you really know. All of those combined equal disordered thinking.

As for what your age has to do with it ... a lot. Maturity levels matter ... both physical and mental.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not tell anyone, that's why I posted it here. But no I don't have any kind of disorder

The first bolded section contradicts the second bolded part. Hiding it is a gigantic red flag that it is a problem, and excessive exercise is called anorexia athletica (though it's not clinically recognized it can still have serious consequences).

Thank you. I lose about 3 pounds a week, I'll try a schedule like you said

3 pounds per week is too much even for me, and I'm still considered overweight. Unless you are quite obese 3 pounds per week is not healthy.

Also looking at your diary, either you are not logging all you eat, or you also have an eating disorder you've not mentioned.

As someone else said, you need to talk to a professional. You are heading down a dangerous path with your exercise, and if your food logging is accurate you need help with that as well.
  • shani_fitness
    Options
    I see that there are lot of replies, but ill still add mine (;
    From experience, just sit down first and ask your self why this is happening. It's the first step to not even enter this vicious cycle. Second, find excrsize that you would do for fun, in a way that you wouldn't think if calories. Good luck!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My exercise patterns revolve around my school schedule that changes daily. I'm not going for anything in particular, just trying to lose weight

You don't need all that cardio to lose weight!!! You need a calorie deficit. I know these boards get old and tiring with "I did this and I did that"...but....here it comes, I lost more weight once I stopped doing cardio and focused on my food (and lifting).

I focus on both. I don't have access to weights and I enjoy cardio but thank you

Well you are the one who said you might be obsessed with exercise. Since we have ascertained that you are not an athlete in training, most of us have agreed. This is all the advice we can give you. You don't sound open to changing anything so, good luck. Please make sure to get a rest day in. No matter what anyone says, whether we disagree that you are exercising too much or not, you need a rest day. Wish you the best.

And yes, you're doing the quote thing right now.

I second this, and also agree with PrizePopple on the rate of weight loss. Someone posted the guide to pounds per week, I think, on the first page. I would seriously rethink my calorie goal, if I were you. Good luck, OP.
  • Super_sarah96
    Super_sarah96 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My exercise patterns revolve around my school schedule that changes daily. I'm not going for anything in particular, just trying to lose weight

You don't need all that cardio to lose weight!!! You need a calorie deficit. I know these boards get old and tiring with "I did this and I did that"...but....here it comes, I lost more weight once I stopped doing cardio and focused on my food (and lifting).

I focus on both. I don't have access to weights and I enjoy cardio but thank you

Well you are the one who said you might be obsessed with exercise. Since we have ascertained that you are not an athlete in training, most of us have agreed. This is all the advice we can give you. You don't sound open to changing anything so, good luck. Please make sure to get a rest day in. No matter what anyone says, whether we disagree that you are exercising too much or not, you need a rest day. Wish you the best.

And yes, you're doing the quote thing right now.

I apologize, I didn't mean to sound unopen. There were a lot of helpful tips on here that I plan on trying. As far as lifting weights, do push ups count? I don't have any weight lifting equipment. So far I haven't taken any rest days but I'm willing to try this as well
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    You're undereating (in terms of caloric and nutritional inake), admittedly obsessive, but claim you don't have a disorder ... yet you'd rather not tell anyone you really know. All of those combined equal disordered thinking.

As for what your age has to do with it ... a lot. Maturity levels matter ... both physical and mental.

Both of these are something I'm working on trying to do better. I don't know what I'm doing, still in the learning process of being healthy. There's no one I know in person to talk to about fitness goals, so I'm trying out this site
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    I'd rather not tell anyone, that's why I posted it here. But no I don't have any kind of disorder

The first bolded section contradicts the second bolded part. Hiding it is a gigantic red flag that it is a problem, and excessive exercise is called anorexia athletica (though it's not clinically recognized it can still have serious consequences).

Thank you. I lose about 3 pounds a week, I'll try a schedule like you said

3 pounds per week is too much even for me, and I'm still considered overweight. Unless you are quite obese 3 pounds per week is not healthy.

Also looking at your diary, either you are not logging all you eat, or you also have an eating disorder you've not mentioned.

As someone else said, you need to talk to a professional. You are heading down a dangerous path with your exercise, and if your food logging is accurate you need help with that as well.

I'm not obese, just average weight. I'm sure I can learn healthier habits if I work at it. I knew you're suppose to lose 1-2 pounds a week but honestly didn't know it was unhealthy to go one pound over. And yes my diary is accurate.
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    I see that there are lot of replies, but ill still add mine (;
    From experience, just sit down first and ask your self why this is happening. It's the first step to not even enter this vicious cycle. Second, find excrsize that you would do for fun, in a way that you wouldn't think if calories. Good luck!
    Guess I'm just frustrated with my size and I'm focusing on it too much. I will try to find one thanks for the advice
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you have to come on here and ask…then it means you have a problem. I think you probably already know the answer to your own question, but trying to justify it being "normal".

1 - constantly thinking about it
    2 - using every spare second to exercise
    3 - exercising to lose weight, of which you mentioned your are desperate to achieve. (perhaps so desperate, you will sacrifice everything to be thin)

If you have not been avoiding obligations to exercise, you likely will get their soon enough. Sounds like the beginning stages of an addiction and mental health issues. Depending on how honest you were in the OP, perhaps if you were minimizing what your behaviours are, then you could already be well into an addiction.
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    If you have to come on here and ask…then it means you have a problem. I think you probably already know the answer to your own question, but trying to justify it being "normal".

1 - constantly thinking about it
    2 - using every spare second to exercise
    3 - exercising to lose weight, of which you mentioned your are desperate to achieve. (perhaps so desperate, you will sacrifice everything to be thin)

If you have not been avoiding obligations to exercise, you likely will get their soon enough. Sounds like the beginning stages of an addiction and mental health issues. Depending on how honest you were in the OP, perhaps if you were minimizing what your behaviours are, then you could already be well into an addiction.

It is an issue yes but I don't think I'm addicted. I'm going to try to find an exercise plan like some people mentioned on here so that I'm exercising the right amount.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals?
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

To be in shape and have a slimmer figure
  • Kalikel
    Options

Sound reasonable to me! :)

So how come four hours on the treadmill?
  • Super_sarah96
    Options

I didn't plan on it, I just keep going a lot when I exercise

• Kalikel
    Options

It must've occurred to you that were on there an awfully long time. The idea of stopping had to pop into your head, right?

I'm assuming a Yes there, lol. :)

So, why keep going. You didn't "just" keep going. You decided not to stop.

How come?
  • Super_sarah96
    Options

It must've occurred to you that were on there an awfully long time. The idea of stopping had to pop into your head, right?

How come?

I was home alone for a while, and I like exercising alone so it was a good oopportunity

• Kalikel
    Options

How come?

I was home alone for a while, and I like exercising alone so it was a good oopportunity
    OK. I give up.

You should talk to a therapist who can help you get to the bottom of it.

Good luck!
  • Super_sarah96
    Options

How come?

OK. I give up.

Good luck!

thanks for trying to help but I was just looking for tips, I don't need a therapist

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    My exercise pattern is random
    Find a structured program. Random exercising doesn't do much more than waste energy.

What are your fitness goals? Run a 5K? Lift something heavy? Climb a mountain?

In a post to the weight loss forum, don't you think the whole point is to waste energy?
    With regards to losing weight, controlling diet is far more important than exercise.

Random exercising to reach fitness goals works as well as random calorie counting to attain weight loss goals. Turn the knob to random and see how that works out for you.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

How come?

OK. I give up.

Good luck!

This!