Should I drop my calories again?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You know, I've seen that quite a bit lately - is it possible that people on phones or iPads or whatever, just hit the wrong spot and "accidentally" flag someone? Or is it more of a process to do so?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mrsmcmo wrote: »
    You know, I've seen that quite a bit lately - is it possible that people on phones or iPads or whatever, just hit the wrong spot and "accidentally" flag someone? Or is it more of a process to do so?

Perhaps the app doesn't make you go through the same process of picking which abuse you are flagging them for.

If it's someone thinking it's a positive thing, they don't know how to read what they are selecting.

Just saw who it was - they have a flag stalker. They flag anything that person writes. One of those abuse things the moderators should really kick the flag abuser out of the forums and make them read-only.
  • MaggiWuerze
    MaggiWuerze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but if you are 5'2" (I am also 5'2") and you weigh around 114 lbs you may just be at the limit of what you should not weigh under. That is pretty darn light imho. I would definitely not eat under 1300-1400 calories.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but if you are 5'2" (I am also 5'2") and you weigh around 114 lbs you may just be at the limit of what you should not weigh under. That is pretty darn light imho. I would definitely not eat under 1300-1400 calories.

I was also wondering this. I have seen this again and again on mfp. I haven't seen any research backing it up, unfortunately.

Is upping your activity an option?
  • MaggiWuerze
    MaggiWuerze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel like if your energy level is up for it, upping the exercise/activities is never a bad thing. That being said though, I would maybe clarify with a doctor if going any lower in weight is really a good idea/necessary. 114 lbs at that height indicates to me that you either have really low body fat percentage already or not a lot of muscle mass. I don't mean to critizise the OP but I just happen to be the same height, but ideally sit at a 125lbs and feel great. If I weigh any less I usually start feeling really weak.
  • heybales
    Options
    Just noticed that lower weight goal too. From several formula for healthy weight for height, 110 would be medium frame, so it's around where it could be.

But, the issue may be more what the remaining weight looks like.

If a decent amount of the 20 lbs lost was muscle mass, and it likely was, that will show up more on a smaller body as a negative. 4 lbs muscle lost instead of 4 lbs extra fat lost, on a smaller body is going to be more obvious than on a bigger one.

So while it's down to last 4 lbs, which should have as reasonable weight loss 250 deficit daily, or a goal of 1/2 lb weekly, it may be that there is more fat where not desired, and weight loss by itself won't take care of that anyway.
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    You now, I have seen that here and there also (about the body just not wanting to lose anymore once it's at a good weight), and wondered about that possibility, but I have no idea if it's a myth or what. If anyone has any insight on that I would love to hear it!

I feel like if your energy level is up for it, upping the exercise/activities is never a bad thing. That being said though, I would maybe clarify with a doctor if going any lower in weight is really a good idea/necessary. 114 lbs at that height indicates to me that you either have really low body fat percentage already or not a lot of muscle mass. I don't mean to critizise the OP but I just happen to be the same height, but ideally sit at a 125lbs and feel great. If I weigh any less I usually start feeling really weak.

No criticism taken. :smile: I honestly have no idea what my body fat percentage is, I think it is fairly low, but I am definitely not the strongest person either. I do have some muscle (I am happy with the tone that I see in my arms, etc.) but not a ton of it. My energy levels for the most part are okay, although I really only have the time to exercise (without children, now that the sidewalks are icy and I find it too cold to do any running outside anyway) at night after the toddler decides to stay in bed which is somewhere around 9-10pm these days, and I just don't have the energy then. I don't have the energy to wake up any earlier than he does either, so workouts in the morning are also not an option. With all that being said, I have been having some family/emotional issues - stress basically - for the past 10 days or so, which I believe has also drained my energy.
    heybales wrote: »
    Just noticed that lower weight goal too. From several formula for healthy weight for height, 110 would be medium frame, so it's around where it could be.

But, the issue may be more what the remaining weight looks like.

If a decent amount of the 20 lbs lost was muscle mass, and it likely was, that will show up more on a smaller body as a negative. 4 lbs muscle lost instead of 4 lbs extra fat lost, on a smaller body is going to be more obvious than on a bigger one.

So while it's down to last 4 lbs, which should have as reasonable weight loss 250 deficit daily, or a goal of 1/2 lb weekly, it may be that there is more fat where not desired, and weight loss by itself won't take care of that anyway.

So here is my thinking re: the lower weight goal. My original goal was 115, got there and decided I would be happier at about 112. Got there (for a week, ha) and felt really good, started upping calories, and gained back a lb or two, likely water weight/glycogen, from what I have been reading. So if I set my goal to 110lbs, gain back a couple pounds, I will be happy sitting at around 112. But if I go any higher than 114, I am not happy, and I am really not even sure if I was eating quite at maintenance (with the 1450), so perhaps I will continue to gain another lb or so in water/glycogen? I am not sure how it all works, but yeah, anything above 114 is too high for my liking.
  • heybales
    Options
    Your body has some feedback loops to first keep the fat it once had, then some protection for going under a level it wants.
    More you try to go under that level, the harder the fight will be to lose that weight. Genetics there.

And yes, any fast gain or loss is water weight, and going in to or out of a diet it's glycogen stores with water in the muscle, 1-2 lbs worth.
    Otherwise it's usually change in sodium levels eaten.
    Well, and stress elevates cortisol which retains water too. Upwards of 20 lbs actually possible there.
    So watch those stress levels, or realize what the effect is, and don't add more stress by trying to tackle it with bigger diet.

Hence the reason you should have goal weight range, not single digit. Go batty trying to maintain a single number.

Besides, those water weight gains in the muscle would never be seen, because they'd be so spread out.
    So don't be so tied to the scale that you miss the bigger picture which everyone else can see.
    I doubt you carry your scale around on your back with sign for all to see what your current weight is, as if they'd have a clue.
    They see you, and that is unrelated to weight.
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    Less calories = weight loss , simple math , drink lots of water, that curbs appetite and gives a feeling a fullness and detoxes all at once , and fight the urge get up and move , burn those calories dont intake them , good luck
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Your body has some feedback loops to first keep the fat it once had, then some protection for going under a level it wants.
    More you try to go under that level, the harder the fight will be to lose that weight. Genetics there.

And yes, any fast gain or loss is water weight, and going in to or out of a diet it's glycogen stores with water in the muscle, 1-2 lbs worth.
    Well, and stress elevates cortisol which retains water too. Upwards of 20 lbs actually possible there.
    So watch those stress levels, or realize what the effect is, and don't add more stress by trying to tackle it with bigger diet.

Hence the reason you should have goal weight range, not single digit. Go batty trying to maintain a single number.

Besides, those water weight gains in the muscle would never be seen, because they'd be so spread out.
    So don't be so tied to the scale that you miss the bigger picture which everyone else can see.
    I doubt you carry your scale around on your back with sign for all to see what your current weight is, as if they'd have a clue.

Thank you, great info here. :)
  • mrsmcmo
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well, I weighed myself this morning: 108. :neutral_face: Not sure what to make of that. I hopped on the scale, it read 109.3 or something, got off and on about 7 additional times and every other time it said 108. something (I never care about what's behind the.). In between those times, my 2yo was also weighing himself, and every time but once the number was also the same, (and I'm sure it's fairly accurate for him). So now what?! I of course am assuming that a lot of it is water (?), but I have been religious about staying at or just under 1350 all week, so should I stay there for another week and see how I weigh in next Friday? Or up my calories? I did update on MFP.

ETA: I know I should just judge my body by how it looks, how my clothes fit, etc. and not worry about the number on the scale so much but I am a REALLY bad accurately seeing how I look (my eyes just automatically see the "problem" areas) so I need to see physical proof of change. Measuring I find slightly inaccurate, so I really haven't been measuring myself at all (I think I did once a couple months ago).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Thank you, great info here. :)

Yes it is; I have been reading this thread and the a range is a much (mental) healthier way to go. Well done heybales.
  • heybales
    Options
    Measuring I find slightly inaccurate, so I really haven't been measuring myself at all (I think I did once a couple months ago).

Oh, if you want the ultimate in inaccurate measurements - then weigh yourself 5 times daily to see just how much you fluctuate day in and day out.

That's considered noise, and to see a trend in a bunch of noise like that would take 2 months of noise for a woman. Because your BMR literally changes through the month, so your daily burn does too.

So you lost how much weight in how many days?

Weight lost x 3500 (if you think it's really fat) / days to lose = calorie deficit from eating level to burning level.

Now, do you really think you burned that much each and every day?

That's the equation to use for any fast gain or loss, to see what it may or could not possibly be.

For instance, many people report their first big water weight drop after going in to a diet.
    Doing the math, if it was really fat they would have to have burned say 3500 over what they ate daily - obviously didn't happen.
    Same way with gaining 3 lbs the morning after having a piece of wedding cake that weighed an actual 12 oz's.
    Even if every bit of that food was turned in to fat and it had no water content in it - it obviously can only add 12 oz's to the body (actually less when you consider processing cost and non-absorption).

You may think measuring is slightly inaccurate - keep weighing until you see it is much more accurate that fluctuating water weight.

• mrsmcmo
    Options
    Oh I'm sure I didn't lose 6lbs of fat in a week. Last Friday I weighed 114lbs. Perhaps I was carrying a lot of water last week so, and this week didn't have much extra so I weighed in "extra" light. I'm probably weighing somewhere in between. Just not sure what to make of the calories (if I should stick to 1350 or up it to 1450).
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Burn it off. Don't starve it off.
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh I'm sure I didn't lose 6lbs of fat in a week. Last Friday I weighed 114lbs. Perhaps I was carrying a lot of water last week so, and this week didn't have much extra so I weighed in "extra" light. I'm probably weighing somewhere in between. Just not sure what to make of the calories (if I should stick to 1350 or up it to 1450).

Or, you unstressed your body enough and it dropped some stress-retained water.

Head on up.

It would take 35 days, 35 days of eating 100 calories over maintenance to gain 1 lb slowly.
    Reread that.

And if exercising any decent amount, not even going to be all fat.

If you gain more or faster, then you of course aren't at maintenance, and you just topped off glucose stores.

Or your 100 extra calories was salted peanuts or chips. Don't do that method though. ;-)
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is, whatever you did last week, do it again next week and the week after that. You won't be able to get an accurate assessment of what that amount of calories will do for you unless you give it time. Re-evaluate in a month, not a week. (This isn't to say don't weigh yourself, just don't change anything. 100 calories a day up or down is 1 pound a MONTH up or down.)

I never update my weight on MFP until I get the same weight 3-4 days in a row. Because it changes all the freakin time. :)