Training for marathon

Options

Replies

• 13shark77
    13shark77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Love you guys. MFP friends are the best. Okay, I know I'm looking in the future. I started running in August (this year), I have one 5k down, have one this weekend, plus my half training with my first half the end of Feb. What do you all recommend doing the week after the half? cut back on mileage???? How many miles should I be logging once that half is done?

keep up with your training. Do rest a few days max is 3. And go back into training. Training a life change in more then one way. You feel a lot better! And again who to say you main catch the bug to another one!
  • 13shark77
    Options
    15-minute ice bath to reduce soreness? Any one do this to recover? After jogging long distances!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Shoes are important!!!! I don't do gels. Usually a banana or something an hour before a long run. If I do eat while running (mile 14 or so), I like the Honey Stingers. Training for a full marathon is a whole different beast. I usually run Mon, Wed, Thurs. and long run on Saturday. Cross train in between. Sunday is a rest day. Definitely taper before a race. I know ice baths are recommended and in the summer I'll do that. Winter months....Hit the hot tub after! BTW - I did a half marathon last December in 5 degrees F. -12 Wind chill. I NEVER want to do that again. If it's colder than 12 degrees F, treadmill for me! I don't mind the rain.
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    What is a honey stinger? Hun
  • ItsMeGee3
    Options
    What is a honey stinger? Hun

You can buy them at Dick's, running shops, etc. They are an organic wafer type thing, sweetened with honey (I think). sustained energy blah, blah, blah Really good and not heavy.
  • johnmurphymfp
    Options
    better than coconut water?
  • ItsMeGee3
    Options
    better than coconut water?

In my opinion, yes. I like coconut water after running. For the electrolytes. Not a fan of the taste
  • 13shark77
    edited November 2014
    Options
    honey stinger is gels, or snack. There preaty good to eat. But to each there own thing:)
  • ItsMeGee3
    Options
    The trick is to be well hydrated BEFORE the race. (I'm not talking an hour or so) I mean a few days before.
  • johnmurphymfp
    Options
    np here I drink 3-4 liters a day. of water that is. lol
  • ItsMeGee3
    Options
    13shark77 wrote: »
    honey stinger is gels, or snack. There preaty good to eat. But to each there own thing:)

I didn't realize they had a gel too. Don't think I'd like that.
  • johnmurphymfp
    Options
    How far should I jog (warm up) prior to the half. Hour, half hour???? advice
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I do 2mi with strides @pace
  • 13shark77
    Options

Me, I do jumping jaxs, half way to warm up my body. Good old fashion streching. Things like take. Once and a blue moon I trot a little. But I just get body little warm up. Don't want to tired myself before the race too much. I don't run for the time. I just run to complete the race.

After a while you get your own feel to what works for you. Some people I see jog a bit before the race. Others don't. You just find what works for you.
  • 13shark77
    Options
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    13shark77 wrote: »

I didn't realize they had a gel too. Don't think I'd like that.

Gel not so bad, its all good. Just chase it with water.
  • 13shark77
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Last night jog wasn't so bad a light 4 miles. Only change I did for myself was jog and walk every few mins. Texting. Nothing wrong changing up!
  • 13shark77
    Options
    Another cold late night jog. Cant help it. Any one train with a hydration system of somekind when you do long jogs? If so what type?
  • hulslaj
    hulslaj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a couch to half marathoner. Only thing keeping me from doing a full is training time involved. Just not an option right now. That being said, here are some "golden rules" for running.

1. Take rest days and use them well.
    2. 10% increase in distance per week, and have increases in no more than 2 consecutive weeks.
    3. When you double your distance you should expect a 10% increase in your rate
    4. Shoes are a great investment. Make sure to have a breaking in period for new shoes, and try to keep your shoes to 500 miles or less.
    5. Hydration rules are really for those running for an hour or more, but pay attention to them.
    6. Proper lubrication is VITAL. Body glide makes for less pain.
    7. Sportswash detergent should be renamed the marriage saver.
    8. goal should be 180 steps per minute running. adjust stride length to increase speed.
    9. Most marathon training plans stop at 20 miles. If you are at 13 now, running a full next season (presumably next fall) shouldn't be a problem in the slightest.
    10. Paying for a race is great incentive for training.
  • 13shark77
    Options
    Paying for a race is a great incentive lol! Plus money goes to a good cause. Well depends on what race.
  • 13shark77
    Options
    Yuck yesterday Jog was just timeing! Went for quick jog! Then rush to eat and go! Good thing it was just a short jog! Today rest day and tomorrow a good JOG... Not looking forward to it! lol