Shockers when you started paying attention to calories?

Options

Replies

• 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    calories in fruit was a shocker to me, I love fruit, amazed at how much I consumed!!
    Watermelon 6 slices 240 calories, cherries my absolute favorite fruit I would eat a whole bucket. was a shocker!!
  • fat2fit4good
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    When the Big Mac came out, it was considered a very large sandwich, only suitable for really big people, not your average Joe. It's even in the name of thing. Now, this one time king sized sandwich is dwarfed by half the items on the menu.

So true!! i have thought about thsi often! When I first came to America I thought a Big mac was HUGE! Now it looks tiny. I have often wondered if it has been reduced in size, but I guess not!!!

My personal shocker: Boneless Buffalo Wings... OUCH!!!!!

• fat2fit4good
    Options
    oh, and Bang Bang Chicken and Shrimp at The Cheesecake factory... 1400 cals!!! ouch
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    all the foods was a shocker to me ! like serving size are so small ! everyfood had way more cals then i expected
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    calories in fruit was a shocker to me, I love fruit, amazed at how much I consumed!!
    Watermelon 6 slices 240 calories, cherries my absolute favorite fruit I would eat a whole bucket. was a shocker!!

I realize this is an old thread; not sure how it was revived, but anyway, I had the same experience with fruit. I thought I was doing a good thing by eating so much of it until I saw the numbers on the screen here after logging. Now I've transitioned to mainly vegetables instead.
  • salubrioussteff4ever
    Options
    olive oil for my salad…back to lemon juice.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    to add a little more rain, there's an equivalent tendency to overstate the intensity and therefore burn of exercise, so lots of time when you hear those special snowflakes whining about "ooh. I kill myself in the gym and starve myself and gain weight..." or similar crap, this Caloric bomb (predominately) and over-rated exercise (secondarily) are the reasons... :( ::evil grumble::
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wings.. they are so little.. and have so many calories.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts! Why do you have to be 200 calories for ONE pastry? Also, why did you put two in a package, you a-holes!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i guess i wouldn't be shocked eating a creamy alfredo pasta dish is a ga-zillion calories.

what shocked me (and still shocks me) is what 1oz of tortilla chips looks like! ugh!!
  • candicane_06
    candicane_06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dark beer. A 16 oz glass of stout can easily be 300 calories.
  • skinnyEmilijah
    skinnyEmilijah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Chinese food, at least the chinese food served in America. I don't know why I thought it was healthy before, but fried meat and some veggies with a sugary sauce over white rice is really calorie dense :neutral_face: Also, cream cheese wontons: I love those things, but they add up so fast!!

Another thing that shocked me were the calories in Olive Garden dishes. I knew they weren't good, but the portion sizes there are ridiculous and I never liked it enough for it to be worth it. Now if my family wants to go, I usually get the soup and salad (which is pretty decent, calorie-wise)

On the flip side, I've been happy to discover that quesadillas and burgers (if smaller sized and without bacon/mayo) actually fit in well with my calorie goals if I don't get caloric sides with them.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Serving-Size-of-Common-Foods1.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    The calories from drinks REALLY caught my eye when I started looking at daily consumptions. Especially with coffee with a few cups a day with creamer. Seriously. I just cut out or reduced those and was close to my goals without changing food habits.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Cheese.

Restaurant meals don't shock me. I know they're super high.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Dark beer. A 16 oz glass of stout can easily be 300 calories.

Dogfish 120 IPA 450 calories in ONE 12 ounce beer.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was being naive, but the calories in sweets really surprised me. Also, I tried to order healthy at a restaurant and got a chicken salad, got home and realized it was like 1000 calories. I like going to a grocery store, almost impulse buying something until I turn it over and see the nutrition, and just go "OH CRAP!" and angrily put it back.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Flavored yogurt. Even the tiny containers. It sucks.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    How small a serving of peanut butter is. :\
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Caesar salad! I remember working out how many calories was in the chicken Caesar at my old job and realising I could have the Chicken Parma with chips for less calories. And you'd see people all the time say "Oh, I'm being good, I'll just grab the caesar salad..."