Does alcohol really count the same as other calories?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how you drink 10-12 beers on any given day and still function normally!

+1
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how you drink 10-12 beers on any given day and still function normally!

+1
    I'm a professional. The beer is organic though so you should approve? ;)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

To be clear, I didn't mean every day or anything. 10-12 would be a special occasion or something for the most part.

Definitely glad for the clarification. I thought we were about to have to start a different type of discussion [read: Intervention] ha.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

+1

I too am a qualified tippler and make beer, mead and cider. All organic of course, as is the ethanol the little beasties work hard to produce.
  • Hornsby
    Options

To be clear, I didn't mean every day or anything. 10-12 would be a special occasion or something for the most part.

Definitely glad for the clarification. I thought we were about to have to start a different type of discussion [read: Intervention] ha.

a2edeb32.gif
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I guess I am curious because from what I have read, if you drink alcohol, that will be the first thing your body burns as it is the preferred source (Is that correct)? So if you have a high TDEE can you and burn say 150 calories per hour doing nothing, can you "beat the system" so to speak?

Alcohol metabolism is an interesting thing. From my understanding, you are correct, it would prioritize alcohol first in the stack of what it's going to use up. But there's no beating the system, really. There's the inevitable energy equation, and whatever energy is provided by the alcohol offsets the need for energy from everything else. And then everything else says, "Hey, if you don't need me right now I'm going to take a seat somewhere until you do." If you can pardon my personification of macronutrients.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

+1

A professional drinker?????

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but what I do know is I used to drink a lot when I was at university (I'm British, it's what we do lol) and I finished university a lot slimmer than when I started. I drank the most during my year in France, and lost a lot that year. I doubt I'd have lost as much if I'd consumed French bread and cheese instead of wine :)
  • Hornsby
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

+1

A professional drinker?????

That's what I meant, yes.

• Hornsby
    Options
    I don't know, but what I do know is I used to drink a lot when I was at university (I'm British, it's what we do lol) and I finished university a lot slimmer than when I started. I drank the most during my year in France, and lost a lot that year. I doubt I'd have lost as much if I'd consumed French bread and cheese instead of wine :)

I like the way you think! :)

• fat2fit4good
    fat2fit4good Posts: 154
    edited November 2014
    Options
    well, I am a social, late evening, night out kinda drinker, so what I have found is that when I go out and drink, the extra hours being up, talking, walking from place to place, etc, probably make up for the beers I drink. A trip to the IHOP on the way back will definitely kill any chances though... (IHOP salad at 2:30 AM anyone?)
  • josul75
    josul75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

This is so interesting @Hornsby... I feel like I am the exact same way! Sometimes I don't even track my alcohol consumption (gasp!) and it really makes no difference in the end.

I'll join this group too! admittedly, I don't drink all that often, maybe once every couple of months, but at least 4 to 5 glasses of prosecco a time, without making any extra room for it in my daily calorie allowance. Every time, I weigh at least a half pound less the next day and never put on an ounce of extra weight on that week.

Drinking alcohol does tend to send me running to the bathroom every 30 minutes though - maybe I don't even give it the chance to settle in my body or something, lol.

• Running_In_Circles
    Running_In_Circles Posts: 11
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Booze makes me hongry. It's my gateway to fried everything.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion. Maybe it is just negated by the fact that you get more activity. On a normal night I would go to bed around 10ish and prior to that I usually spend time reading or watching tv. When I go out drinking I'm up and about until 1-2ish probably moving/standing a lot more and walking from place to place as well as dancing. I suppose the extra activity and 3-4 hours of waking time would cancel out some of the drinking. Although on the flip side, after a night of drinking I often have a day of sleeping in, lying around and crappy food so maybe not so much
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this too. I don't drink anymore, but when I was at my thinnest (120-25) coincided with when I used to routinely get LOTS of extra calories from wine, and yet it never seemed to matter for my weight. I've always kind of assumed I must have adjusted my eating somewhat to account for it, but I'm actually not sure that explanation stands up. Closer to the time I decided to stop I do know I'd not be hungry at all/able to eat the day after I'd had lots to drink, but that wasn't always the case.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if something about heavy alcohol intake signaled adaptive thermogenesis to crank up the furnace, so to speak. "Lots of readily burnable fuel comin' in daily! Fire on all cylinders!" I know a lot of heavy drinkers and many claim that beer calories don't seem to count the same as food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting question. My discretionary calories often go to a nice wine. Much more often than they go to anything else.
    I lost while doing that. I've maintained all these years while doing that.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Alcohol = empty calories = you can have as much as you want and you won't gain weight
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Alcohol = empty calories = you can have as much as you want and you won't gain weight

I see what you did there. :p
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

They call it a beer belly for a reason.