How will you cook your Turkey?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Like my grandpa did it since the 1940's. Covered with a butter soaked new tea towel and cooked low and slow overnight on 200. It makes the bird tender on the inside and browned and yummy on the outside.

I have never heard of this method... like melted butter, and then soak a tea towel in it? What does the towel look like when all said and done? No fire concerns?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic - I am genuinely interested because I have never heard of this!

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    mine will e a 7lb turkey breast in a crock pot. I'm so excited!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Nude. I will cook it in the nude.

It's the internet. Pics or it didn't happen.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I assume this is really a thanksgiving targetted thread but for Xmas here in the UK I will be having basic roasted turkey without the brine I assume as im not cooking it but the option of individual beef wellingtons was given to me so I may opt for that.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    2 turkeys...both will be brined and then smoked using pecan for primary smoke with a smattering of hickory and mesquite to make things interesting.

Brine recipe - 1 gallon
    1 tblspn each of rosemary, thyme, sage (or 3 tblspn of poultry seasoning will work) and 1 cup salt into 1/2 gallon of water. Bring brine to boil. Let cool. I add ice and cold water to accelerate this.

Rinse thawed turkeys. Place is appropriately sized Ziploc bags. Add brine. Squeeze out air and immerse bird. Let the brine do it's work for 18-24 hours.

Rinse birds thoroughly.
    Season to suit.
    Smoke 'em till biggest part of thigh is 160 F (30 to 40 minutes per pound)

5hctd9g2y3dz.jpg
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    20081210021207.jpg

Salvadorean style. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    A local Indian place does Tandoori Turkey. That's what we're doing.

Oh, I want Tandoori Turkey :)

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I won't, we're going out for TG dinner, but I usually just roast it in the oven. One of these days I'd like to try brining a turkey. I remember when i was a kid, turkey was such a special treat during the holidays. Now I eat so much turkey throughout the year it's not the special treat it once was. But, it's still good!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the oven. Stuffed with onions or lemons.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I won't, we're going out for TG dinner, but I usually just roast it in the oven. One of these days I'd like to try brining a turkey. I remember when i was a kid, turkey was such a special treat during the holidays. Now I eat so much turkey throughout the year it's not the special treat it once was. But, it's still good!

^^Isn't that the truth! I have eaten more turkey in the past 3 years than I have in all 60 years put together before that. I am not complaining though. We love turkey and I am at the healthiest I have been in decades. Funny thing is that when (if) we go out to eat, now I usually pick something turkey if it is on the menu.

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Brine it. It's the best way. Period.
  • jt_omalley
    jt_omalley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We're not having turkey this year, we are experimenting with smoked duck.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Going to fry. but could only find soybean oil this year

IMG_1636.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Swiss Chalet
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast chucked in the oven until it's done. Simple.

we've been doing this lately.

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    We're having a turkey joint and a gammon joint, both of them will be roasted in the oven. Omnomnom.

This thread is making me so hungry, haha.
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Like my grandpa did it since the 1940's. Covered with a butter soaked new tea towel and cooked low and slow overnight on 200. It makes the bird tender on the inside and browned and yummy on the outside.

I have never heard of this method... like melted butter, and then soak a tea towel in it? What does the towel look like when all said and done? No fire concerns?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic - I am genuinely interested because I have never heard of this!

Yes. You melt either one or two sticks depending on the size of the bird. Then you totally drench the towel in the butter. Since butter is basically fat and minimal water content the towel doesn't dry out with the low temp so no risk of fire. It's self basting but I do randomly baste the top just in case the top gets a little too dry from gravity. The towel is always new but its thrown away and unusable once the turkey is done. You have to use a specific type of towel that are pretty easy to find, the all cotten ones they used to put flour and sugar in the olden days.
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    They may be labled flour sack towels. I bought a two pack last year and don't remember the specific name.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I brew beer. This entails maintaining a large quantity of water and grain at a closely controlled temperature for an hour or more, about 152 F plus or minus 2 degrees.

The 10 gallon mash tun, automatic temperature control and a recirculating pump will be used to cook a 20 lb turkey sous vide. That is, the bird is sectioned, seasoned, placed in a large cooking bag and immersed in the water held at 146F for several hours.

You could say this is beer can turkey, except the beer can is not in the bird, the bird goes into a huge beer can.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    20081210021207.jpg

Salvadorean style. :stuck_out_tongue:

lol.

I'm arguing with my wife right now... I want to lightly smoke and roast it. She wants to make pan con pavo.... I think I will win, we can't get the spices out here in the outer rim territories.

I might try my hand at making some pupusas with the leftover turkey, no matter which way we make it. Make some beans, add in some cheese. Boom.