Shockers when you started paying attention to calories?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    nuts
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cereals definitely for me. I had to downsize my breakfast bowl so that the actual serving size didn't look ridiculously stupid in my previous one xD

Also flour. When I started logging what I was baking I was shocked at how many calories just come from the flour, never mind the sugar, butter ect that goes into cakes.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. Yikes.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    "A standard meal at a fast food joint consumed 90% of the calories I should eat every day"

I think it has more to do with the evolving definition of what a "standard" meal is. A standard meal at McDonalds used to mean a hamburger, regular fries and a regular coke. That's 620 calories, 480 if you go with a diet coke. That's really not all that bad. But that's not what people want now. Today it's double quarter pounders and bacon double cheeseburgers with the large fries and large coke. When the Big Mac came out, it was considered a very large sandwich, only suitable for really big people, not your average Joe. It's even in the name of thing. Now, this one time king sized sandwich is dwarfed by half the items on the menu.

Interesting that the former normal sized meal has the same calorie count as the present Happy Meal...
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Large cookie dough blizzard: 1300 calories. D:

Culver's frozen custard is even worse! I used to get a small with extra cookie dough. Well, the custard itself is 900 for a small. I couldn't bear to find out how many calories the cookie dough is on top of that!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Any sort of carbs really. Bread and pasta are almost never worth it to me anymore. Sure I could fit them in, but I would just be hungry sooner, so I would rather eat some sort of protein and be full. I might have bread but only with some very protein-laden sandwich. As for pasta, I make a mean meat sauce and I just eat the sauce, maybe on some broccoli.
    Bananas :( They have a lot of calories to me :(
    And yes to cereal. I haven't eaten cereal since I started. If I can't eat a mondo bowl of Lucky Charms (lol) I just can't be bothered.

Ah, and the mizithra cheese and browned butter pasta at Old Spaghetti Factory. It's so yummy, and so very very bad :(
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    a 1 pound porterhouse.

I was floored at how many calories.