How much cardio do you do a day?

Options
Simple question really, I have been doing 90minutes worth of cardio a day as I am on a break from one job to another, however soon my schedule will have to change alot. I dunno if ill cope with 9hours of worth and 45minutes cardio before and after 5 times a week. So...?

How much cardio do you do a day, and is it enough for you?

Replies

• jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Honestly I do 30 mins of cardio twice a week total. I lift 6 days a week though. You are going to have people give you a hard time about doing so much cardio and you should lift and blah blah blah. The bottom line though is if you love to run, then run. It isn't my cup of tea hate it with a passion actually but I see the benefits. If you are talking about cardio in terms of losing weight then it isn't necessary to do cardio at all, it simply comes down to calories in vs. calories out. That's the long answer
    Short answer I do 30 mins of HIIT twice a week and it is enough for me :smile:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    None. In fact, as much as I love running, I'm probably going to cry when I recieve a programming cycle that has cardio planned. Currently I spend about ten hours a week training for powerlifting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I run 3 miles or so on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and I ride 15 miles or so on Tuesday and Thursday and 25 - 30 miles on Saturday. This is my basic maintain my fitness kind of routine...I change things up when I'm training for something.

I also hit the weight room 3x weekly.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    3 x a week I do 90 minutes of mostly cardio with some strength. I go to the pool and swim laps for 40 minutes with the kickboard only, then head to the warm pool for a 50 minute water aerobics class which does include some strengthening and stretching so 30-35 minutes of that would be considered cardio. On 3 of my off days, I walk or work out on the crosstrainer for about 30 minutes. The one day that is left, I don't do any specific exercising but might get some cardio in as I run errands or do chores.

58841349.png
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do more but my work schedule changes every week and sometimes gives me no time to do cardio at all except on the weekends. Ideally I do cardio 30 minutes every weekday and 45-60 on Saturday and Sunday.

Plus strength (but not heavy lifting) 2-3 days during the week.
  • Ben2055
    Ben2055 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ah cheers everyone. I just was quite anxious from potentially dropping 90 minute cardio a day down to 45. Wasnt sure if my body would carry on losing. Looks like alot of people do that sort of quantity too though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ben2055 wrote: »
    Ah cheers everyone. I just was quite anxious from potentially dropping 90 minute cardio a day down to 45. Wasnt sure if my body would carry on losing. Looks like alot of people do that sort of quantity too though.

Keep in mind that your weight control is largely about consumption, not how many minutes of cardio you do. Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Moving less means that your body requires less energy...thus you have to consume less energy (calories)...moving more means that your body requires more energy...thus you have to consume more energy (calories).

You want your consumption to be in line with your stats and activity level for your weight control goals.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ben2055 wrote: »

Just remember to drop your calories down a little if you drop your cardio so you keep the same deficit. I had a period of a couple of weeks where I did no cardio (I needed to let my foot heal) but I reduced my calories a little and kept the same weight loss pace.

58841349.png
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I try to get in 40 minutes a day in addition to lifting 2 on/1 off. I have a sedentary job, so it is important for me to be active everyday. Yes, it is working. Muscle is staying on, and fat is coming off; I am happier; I have more energy; and I recover well enough to not burn out or overtrain.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    30 mins a day cardio and 30 minutes lifting heavy Mon to Fri, two days off.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    none and yes
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    65 minutes of cardio daily, followed by 15 minutes of lifting. My strength splits are limited to only one muscle group per workout because i like to lift daily.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My long term goal is 300 minutes a week at moderate intensity to match these guidelines for extensive health benefits - http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/summary.aspx
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    45-90 minutes twice a week (more if I get an extra day off work), 15 minutes three times a week on my lifting days, then I try to fit a HIIT session in as well.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    About 4-5 minutes 3x a week. It's my lifting warmup. Yes, it's enough. I don't like cardio. I'm thinking of implementing some walks though as my only "cardio" even though i don't reach the required heart rate for it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    335 to 60 minutes, depending on if I weight lifted that day or not- less on lifting days, more otherwise.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    30 mins (plus 5 min cool down) Mon-Fri. First thing in the morning, before work. Avg calorie burn ~300, works great for me.
  • erasure999
    erasure999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I jog 3 times a week for about 35-40 minutes on a treadmill.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    None
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    None
    Profile creep, you look great in your pics!