Ideas for big one-pot meals I can make at weekend and eat for lunch during week please

Options
13»

Replies

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of braised chicken recipes, which freeze well for midweek meals. I like to add vegetables that aren't worse for wear if they get overcooked, such as carrots, mushrooms or squash.

Try googling the following dishes:

Chicken Cacciatore
    Chicken Tagine
    Coq Au Vin
    Chicken Curry
    Dak Dori Tang (Korean stewed chicken)
    Chicken Sukiyaki
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My absolute favourite, 'easy' lunch is a sweet potato with baked beans.

You could pre-bake the sweet potato, however I find it only takes about 6 minutes to cook in the microwave fresh at lunchtime. I use the Heinz baked beans 'snap pots', as they go straight in the microwave too, for 1 minute.

Very quick, easy, potentially no prep and no washing up lunch, low in calories and can be tarted up by adding 30g half fat grated cheese (add 85 calories) or slices of wafer thin ham, etc :)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh this is fantastic too. I'm actually making it again

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/03/cheeseburger-casserole.html
  • marlo665
    marlo665 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Check out the Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew in Joy of Cooking. I don't add the ginger or the zuchini. You can use low-fat peanut butter... and maybe even PB2 -- but I haven't tried that yet.

Freaking delicious over brown rice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    If sodium isn't an issue for you, then make some chicken adobo.

1 tablespoon of minced garlic
    1 cup of soy sauce
    1 cup of vinegar
    6 chickens breast (or thighs if you like dark meat better)

Throw all in a pot and cook till chicken is done. Serve with vegetables or rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cold an rainy today - Jambalaya Sunday.

This recipe is about 200 calories per cup if you use Aidelle's Andouille Sausage (very tasty and very lean).

I eat it like a stew or serve it over rice or quinoa...be sure to add the rice/quinoa calories in if you use it.

allrecipes.com/recipe/colleens-slow-cooker-jambalaya/

If you leave the rice out of the jambalaya, it freezes and reheats like a champ. Make the rice/quinoa separate and store separate if you want to have it as a leftover.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites: I make huge pots and freeze
    1. Gwyneth Paltrow Spicy Sweet Potato soup with Chipotle and Coriander
    http://jennalouisej.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/spicy-sweet-potato-soup-with-chipotle-coriander/
    2. Indian spiced lentil and ground lamb soup
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/indian-spiced-lentils-lamb
    3. Keema... I eat this over cauliflower, potato, etc
    http://www.worthypause.com/2013/01/keema.html?m=1
    4.Anything by Ellie Krieger:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/healthy-appetite-with-ellie-krieger/recipes.html
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    One of our favorite recipes is called Chicken and Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Sauce. It can be adapted easily to use vegan ingredients, but I love the richness that the cream cheese gives it and I use the lower fat variety.

http://littlegrazers.com/chicken-and-spaghetti-squash-with-a-creamy-sun-dried-tomato-sauce/#.VHKeyPnF8po

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh I love Keema - must get my curry box of spices down :grinning:

I have never seen a spaghetti squash on sale here - I'm intrigued
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I make this recipe a lot, I've adapted it a little from She Wears Many Hats | Chicken & Rice - my main adaptation is to use my crockpot; the original recipe says to boil the chicken in a stockpot for a few hours but I don't typically want to spend that kind of time heating up my kitchen. A serving is around 400 grams if you go for the 8 serving quantity (it really makes a ton), and the 400g serving is about 450 calories. You could add veggies as desired, I bet it would be great with peas & carrots. My current working recipe is below

Chicken and Rice | Makes 6-8 servings

Gather
    1 whole chicken or chicken pieces equal to about 4 pounds
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon oregano
    ½ teaspoon celery salt
    1 ½ teaspoon parsley
    575g long grain white rice
    8 cups water
    3 carrots, 5 ribs celery, ½ large sweet onion, all chopped in larger pieces

Prepare
    • In a 6-quart crockpot, add the 8 cups of water, 4 pounds chicken (about 1 whole chicken or use pieces), 3 carrots, chopped, 5 stalks chopped celery, 1/2 chopped sweet onion, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp oregano, ½ tsp celery salt, and 1 teaspoon parsley, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
    • Once cooking is complete, remove chicken to cool in order to debone. Strain the veggie chunks out of the broth and save the broth for later!
    • When it is cool enough to handle, debone the chicken. Roughly chop any larger pieces.
    • Strain out vegetables from broth.
    • Using another pot or large saucepan, transfer 6 cups of saved broth, the rice, deboned, chopped chicken, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon parsley into the pot. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    • After 15 minutes, stir in another 1 cup of broth. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
    • Add remaining 1 cup of broth; stir, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes or until rice is done - this should take about 25 minutes total. If your rice needs more time or you run out of broth you can use canned broth or water.
    • Salt and pepper to taste.