• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My standard daily workout is:
    * 10 minute warm up on elliptical
    * ~1 hour heavy lifting
    * 15-20 minutes HIIT on elliptical, treadmill or (ugh!) stair machine
    * 20 minutes yoga/stretching

If I'm really sore from lifting, I'll do an hour of polarizing cardio.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    5 minutes a day to warm up for a heavy lifting session. I started off with fifteen and was planning on doing a bit more each day but it really does bore me.
    Yes, it's enough. Right now I'm maintaing my weight, maybe later when I start cutting I'll do more but only if advised to by my trainer.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My long term goal is 300 minutes a week at moderate intensity to match these guidelines for extensive health benefits - http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/summary.aspx

err that says 150 mins a week or 2.5hrs.

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My cardio constantly changes as I try to find my ideal balance. For a while it was a half hour 6 days a week. Then an hour 5 days a week. Then it was half hour some days, an hour others (leg and butt day). Then I quit cardio all together for this past month.

Now that I've joined a gym I think I have the perfect flow. I work out 3 days a week (heavy lifting). But I now warm up with 15 mins of the recumbent bike with interval cardio. It gives me cardio 3 days a week and my legs feel the BURN.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Hi! I do 30-70 minutes of cardio a day and I lift 3 days a week for 30-40 min. I try to take one day off a week but that doesn't always happen...
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    My long term goal is 300 minutes a week at moderate intensity to match these guidelines for extensive health benefits - http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/summary.aspx

err that says 150 mins a week or 2.5hrs.

Read again substantial - 150, extensive - 300
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just push yourself man - cardio is about endurance and physical fitness. Don't be a hamster locking yourself into a routine. Do 30mins after work tomorrow on your treadmill then the next day to 20 HITT sprints or maybe on Friday a 1 hour long Spin session on a bike. That's what makes those cross-fit guys so healthy and gung-ho... the intense variety of their work outs. Good Luck on the new job!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between zero and 6 hours 47 minutes in a day.
    Typical routine is 3 sessions of cardio (majority cycling in spring to autumn) and 3 sessions of strength training a week with one rest day.

The MFP "eat back exercise calories" method works well when you have a varied routine.
  • SamiDee12
    SamiDee12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to do 30 minutes, 3 times a week on days that I don't lift. On lifting days, I do sprints/rowing machine between every couple of workouts, so that gives me some cardio too. I personally hate doing any kind of cardio, so I barely make it through 30 minutes. I definitely give you credit for doing 90 minutes!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    None. I can't stand it.

so....when the zombies come, and come they will, you will have no cardiovascular conditioning and be one of the first out of breath, panting zombie feeders? thank you in advance
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do at least 30minutes every weekday, walking to work and back at a fast pace. Mondays and Wednesdays I also walk to swim class so thats an extra 15 minutes.
    I'm going to be adding more starting today so I get at least 60 minutes of walking >3mph per day...
    Walking purely for exercise (not going to class, work, store, etc) I have 5lb ankle weights Im using...
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

so....when the zombies come, and come they will, you will have no cardiovascular conditioning and be one of the first out of breath, panting zombie feeders? thank you in advance

This is exactly why Im stepping my own up.
    (And also to be able to do this http://zombierun.com/)
    (and lose weight, of course...)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    As little as possible
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I generally do 60-90 min at least 5 days a week, usually 6.
    I used to do exclusively elliptical, for up to 1 hour a day.
    For several weeks I've been doing intervals (3 mph walking, but the treadmill changes incline to simulate hills).
    Just in the last week I decided to try jogging (30 sec @ 3mph, 90 sec @ 5mph, repeat for 1 hour). Amazingly, I can do it! :sweat_smile:
    Seeing the difference in calorie burn, I'm thinking maybe keep doing 30 min elliptical and 45 min jogging or hills.

ETA: And I do torso & upper body weightlifting usually 3x / week.

51637601.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    As little as possible

Right?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do
    70 minutes Pilates
    80 mins gym with trainer - 20 mins steady state cardio, millions of squats, lunges, calisthenics and weights
    60 mins gym workout alone - 20 -30 mins cardio, weights, circuit training

Rest of the week I try to walk at least 10k steps using fitbit - don't do it a couple of days

It's enough
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I usually get about 45-60 minutes a day, on average. I'm currently running about 90 minutes a week (ultimate goal is 120-150), cycling about 200-300 minutes a week (a mix of commuting and recreational rides), and walking or hiking 60-180 minutes a week.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, it ranges from none to 3/4 hours. I must admit I have lifted maybe once this month. I'm trying to commit to doing about 5 miles of cardio a day.