Low carb tips/suggestions

Options
Ugh. Between period and carb overload yesterday I feel so icky and bloated. Any way to make it better/go away? I work at the bar today so I will be drinking a LOT of water. Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving and then Monday I'm going to try low carb until Christmas. If successful I will try to make it my lifestyle. Gonna have to read labels way more diligently Any tips/suggestions?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Don't over-do it on water, caffeine can help.

If you want to make low-carb your lifestyle then that means high fat. So if you don't enjoy high fat foods atm, then don't bother with it. But it's also something you'd need to maintain for LIFE if you want to avoid putting on the water weight you'll have lost. So.. if you can see yourself eating this way for at least a few decades, then go for it?

Personally I only recommend elimination diets like this w hen it's for medical purposes. E.g. I eat gluten-free because otherwise I have painful gas and bloating. If I were allergic to something I'd eliminate it. But I won't eliminate carbs or lower them because it might help me debloat more than if I kept them in my diet. That is not enough incentive for me to omit foods I love from my life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

If you want to make low-carb your lifestyle then that means high fat. So if you don't enjoy high fat foods atm, then don't bother with it. But it's also something you'd need to maintain for LIFE if you want to avoid putting on the water weight you'll have lost. So.. if you can see yourself eating this way for at least a few decades, then go for it?

Personally I only recommend elimination diets like this w hen it's for medical purposes. E.g. I eat gluten-free because otherwise I have painful gas and bloating. If I were allergic to something I'd eliminate it. But I won't eliminate carbs or lower them because it might help me debloat more than if I kept them in my diet. That is not enough incentive for me to omit foods I love from my life.

If one stops low carb one adds, what 5-10 pounds of water AT MOST? Why would they need to do low carb for life? Ie if someone wants to lose 100 pounds....why would they need to do low carb for life "because they'll regain 5LBS water weight"? It makes no sense

(though most of the time folks say "you'll regain it all and then some", which is true for 90+% of dieters including those using MFP for calorie counting). Anyone, including the MFP set, who diets, loses weights and then returns to their old ways of eating (which were obviously above maintenance in the first place) will regain the weight.

I'm not picking, just that I see this edict about being low carb "for life" on every post and it makes no sense to single low carb out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP If you want to try low carb, and want advice on that, go here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

if you want to debate the pros and cons of low carb as a lifestyle, stay here. You'll get plenty of discussion.

If you go low carb until christmas, and then return to a SAD, yes, prepare for the scale to go up about 5LBS once you re-introduce the Standard American Diet. That will be water weight.

You do need to find something that works for YOU. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

If one stops low carb one adds, what 5-10 pounds of water AT MOST? Why would they need to do low carb for life? Ie if someone wants to lose 100 pounds....why would they need to do low carb for life "because they'll regain water weight".
    (though most of the time folks say "you'll regain it all and then some", which is true for 90+% of dieters including those using MFP for calorie counting)

I'm not picking, just that I see this edict about being low carb "for life" on every post and it makes no sense to single low carb out.

For some people, that 5-10lb gain would make them feel really horrible. But aside from the scale weight gained, there is a BIG effect in terms of how the body looks when considering the extra water retention.

But mostly, if someone plans on not tracking calories for life, if they omit an entire food group then they pretty much need to keep omitting it to help retain a mostly stable caloric intake.

If someone chooses to be low fat or low protein for life it doesn't affect water weight and probably minimally for the appearance of the body. Other than of course protein being required to help sustain lean body mass. So for instance, I eat a moderate protein diet (150g). In order to help ensure my body retains the composition I am trying to build, I'm going to have to maintain a moderate protein intake for life. Because the incentive for this dietary approach is high, it's something I am easily able to do. If I did NOT so badly want my dream body composition, I'd say "eff it" and just eat way more carbs and fats.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

If one stops low carb one adds, what 5-10 pounds of water AT MOST? Why would they need to do low carb for life? Ie if someone wants to lose 100 pounds....why would they need to do low carb for life "because they'll regain water weight".
    (though most of the time folks say "you'll regain it all and then some", which is true for 90+% of dieters including those using MFP for calorie counting)

For some people, that 5-10lb gain would make them feel really horrible. But aside from the scale weight gained, there is a BIG effect in terms of how the body looks when considering the extra water retention.

But mostly, if someone plans on not tracking calories for life, if they omit an entire food group then they pretty much need to keep omitting it to help retain a mostly stable caloric intake.

If someone chooses to be low fat or low protein for life it doesn't affect water weight and probably minimally for the appearance of the body. Other than of course protein being required to help sustain lean body mass. So for instance, I eat a moderate protein diet (150g). In order to help ensure my body retains the composition I am trying to build, I'm going to have to maintain a moderate protein intake for life. Because the incentive for this dietary approach is high, it's something I am easily able to do. If I did NOT so badly want my dream body composition, I'd say "eff it" and just eat way more carbs and fats.
    Eating crap also affects water weight. And how one feels. But we don't say that to the CICO crowd.
    Why couldn't one overshoot by 5LBS on low carb. Or, hell, just inform them.

Seriously, it makes NO SENSE to single out low carb diets as "you have to do it for life".
    Any long term weight loss will only be maintained if someone makes a plan "for life".

I wonder, every day, when folks join MFP, do we say to each of them: Don't bother. If you don't plan on weighing, counting, measuring and logging for life you'll gain it all back, and then some"?

No, we don't. We hope that while they're here, they'll learn. About food, about nutrition, about their own bodies, about fitness, about their own minds... and that after they've lost the weight, they'll have the tools (and I'm not talking about a smart phone) they need to be part of the 10% that succeeds long term.

Granted, low (lower) carb "for life" can be a damned healthy and satisfying way to live, from what I can tell.

and no: one doesn't need to omit a food group for life because they did so in deficit. Think on that one...
  • EK00001
    Options
    Try "Good Carbs" like brown rice, whole wheat bread, oats, almonds (basically nuts since they have healthy fats which, in studies, proved to not make you gain fat or bloatness no matter the amount, that is, if you within your caloric goal), fish (preferably tuna), Almond drinks, and any green vegetables.
    Stay away from white bread, white rice, pasta/noodles, greecy meat (burgers are one hell of a carbo-bomb), fast foods, and too many sweets (you can have a Bueno every week or so, just as long as you've earned the privilege by eating right).
    To minimize bloating, on your MFP app, keep track of your "SODIUM" count on the "NUTRITION" section of the app. Make sure you're under 2300 mg of SODIUM. Drink plenty of water (I drink 7-9 cups of water a day and am 5 ' 6 ft, for your reference). The bloating should only happen before you sleep. You'll wake up the next morning "looking" 4 lbs thinner, if you're doing it right.
    Hope I helped some!
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should clarify a few things.
    I simply said christmas because that's about a months time and I want to see if it works for me. Am I looking for a quick fix? No! I've been using this app for years now and have been successful and then fallen off the wagon. When I do eat rice or pasta my portions are measured and I use brown rice and brown bread.
    I was looking for some tips or suggestions. I watched my mom become obsessive over carbs 3 years ago and lose a ton of weight and then she started eating normal and gained it all back. I would like to have her success which I fully understand means that I'm not a lifer so to speak but it will always be something I need to be conscious of.
    To those of you who gave me some links thank you!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Reduce sodium--it's SUCH a sneaky thing and in almost everything. You can go low-carb without going high fat. I generally eat a lot of soy and have at least one protein shake a day.

Normally, I try to stick with veggies, beans and fruits for my carbs. Sometimes whole wheat pasta. Not much bread/rice, etc. Though this is the season for Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pop Tarts! :smile:
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

If you want to make low-carb your lifestyle then that means high fat. {/quote]
    ana3067 couldn't be more wrong. First, drinking lots of water ALWAYS helps, regardless of whether you are following a low carb diet, or not following any regimen at all. Caffeine is a diuretic and makes your body lose water. Your body needs that water.
    Second, check out South Beach Diet recipes. They are low carb and low fat. The fats that are included are heart healthy fats, like from nuts, fish, olive oil, etc. Generally, I recommend avoiding processed foods. They tend to be higher in sodium and higher in sugar. Eat lots of vegetables and lean meats/proteins. There's no reason you can't have room in your life for some of the things you love. You'll just have to limit the really unhealthy ones.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »

If you want to make low-carb your lifestyle then that means high fat.
    ana3067 couldn't be more wrong. First, drinking lots of water ALWAYS helps, regardless of whether you are following a low carb diet, or not following any regimen at all. Caffeine is a diuretic and makes your body lose water. Your body needs that water.
    Second, check out South Beach Diet recipes. They are low carb and low fat. The fats that are included are heart healthy fats, like from nuts, fish, olive oil, etc. Generally, I recommend avoiding processed foods. They tend to be higher in sodium and higher in sugar. Eat lots of vegetables and lean meats/proteins. There's no reason you can't have room in your life for some of the things you love. You'll just have to limit the really unhealthy ones.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Eating crap also affects water weight. And how one feels. But we don't say that to the CICO crowd.

Seriously, it makes NO SENSE to single out low carb diets as "you have to do it for life".
    Any long term weight loss will only be maintained if someone makes a plan "for life".

I wonder, every day, when folks join MFP, do we say to each of them: Don't bother. If you don't plan on weighing, counting, measuring and logging for life you'll gain it all back, and then some"?

No, we don't. We hope that while they're here, they'll learn. About food, about nutrition, about their own bodies, about fitness, about their own minds... and that after they've lost the weight, they'll have the tools (and I'm not talking about a smart phone) they need to be part of the 10% that succeeds long term.

Granted, low (lower) carb "for life" can be a damned healthy and satisfying way to live, from what I can tell.

and no: one doesn't need to omit a food group for life because they did so in deficit. Think on that one...

Precisely.

All kinds of people do versions of low-carb only to change it up in maintenance to plain calorie counting at maintenance level. I've done keto and will do so until I'm a little below my goal weight, then increase my carb-count some. I'll still be lower carb, but it will be more "slow-carb." I don't have to do keto my whole life just because I used that tool to lose the weight. On the other hand, I could totally choose to do so if I wanted. You aren't locked in for life to whatever plan you used to lose. It's less HOW you maintain, and more that you DO maintain. If it's all calorie deficit, who cares which foods you fill your calories with, as long as it is healthy for you?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    JimieLou wrote: »
    Ugh. Between period and carb overload yesterday I feel so icky and bloated. Any way to make it better/go away? I work at the bar today so I will be drinking a LOT of water. Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving and then Monday I'm going to try low carb until Christmas. If successful I will try to make it my lifestyle. Gonna have to read labels way more diligently Any tips/suggestions?

I cut out grains a little while back to see if it would help with an autoimmune disorder (since then I have tweaked things and I now eat oatmeal), so not necessarily low carb since I do eat fruits and vegetables. Two major changes helped for me in order to feel satiated at meal time: 1) I increased my vegetable intake at meals and at snacks; 2) I drastically increased my healthy fats. I still counted calories, but weight loss was not my goal in this case (but I did lose weight because I was eating at a deficit). That's what worked for me and I still eat this way, aside from eating a bowl of oatmeal now almost every morning.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I simply said christmas because that's about a months time and I want to see if it works for me. Am I looking for a quick fix? No! I've been using this app for years now and have been successful and then fallen off the wagon. When I do eat rice or pasta my portions are measured and I use brown rice and brown bread.
    I was looking for some tips or suggestions. I watched my mom become obsessive over carbs 3 years ago and lose a ton of weight and then she started eating normal and gained it all back. I would like to have her success which I fully understand means that I'm not a lifer so to speak but it will always be something I need to be conscious of.

Here are some recipe links.
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ (she's gluten-free but you could modify the recipes)

Or you could go to the Atkins site to surf their recipes. There are dozens of low-carb recipe sites.
    Or just find ways to cut added sugar, and high starch foods from your fave dishes and replace them with slow-carb versions.

And also...don't be afraid of fat. It's not a villain. You don't have to go crazy on it, but there's no reason whatsoever to hide from it. In fact, low-carb and low-fat do not mesh.
    Good luck in finding the formula, whether that be low-carb or not, that works best for you. :smile:

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for me, a low carb and high fat diet is giving me great benefits. For advice and encouragement, the MFP forums are probably your last resort. there are a few here (in this thread actually) who will remain sane about it, but overall, the MFP crowd does not stay sane about low carb. ignore the warnings that you MUST do it for the rest of your life and beyond. Do it for a week or a month or a year.....or for the rest of your life. Try it....read about it (elsewhere) and experiment. Good Luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Define "normal". Did you mom eat "normal" or as she did before losing weight?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »

If you want to make low-carb your lifestyle then that means high fat.

Most south beach recipes aren't really low carb, they are lower than the SAD, sure, and they are healthier carbs, sure, but not really "low" carb. I'm not sure I would qualify them as low fat either.
    That said: South Beach recipes and eating plan is damned healthy as a basis for building a diet.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    for me, a low carb and high fat diet is giving me great benefits. For advice and encouragement, the MFP forums are probably your last resort. there are a few here (in this thread actually) who will remain sane about it, but overall, the MFP crowd does not stay sane about low carb. ignore the warnings that you MUST do it for the rest of your life and beyond. Do it for a week or a month or a year.....or for the rest of your life. Try it....read about it (elsewhere) and experiment. Good Luck.

An example for you OP would be the low carber group in terms of advice and encouragement. Hopefully you find what works for you and stay flexible in diet and options for you.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Precisely.

All kinds of people do versions of low-carb only to change it up in maintenance to plain calorie counting at maintenance level. I've done keto and will do so until I'm a little below my goal weight, then increase my carb-count some. I'll still be lower carb, but it will be more "slow-carb." I don't have to do keto my whole life just because I used that tool to lose the weight. On the other hand, I could totally choose to do so if I wanted. You aren't locked in for life to whatever plan you used to lose. It's less HOW you maintain, and more that you DO maintain. If it's all calorie deficit, who cares which foods you fill your calories with, as long as it is healthy for you?

And in fact, one could, hypothetically, give up grains to create a deficit, then add them back with some common sense at maintenance and be fine.
    I've known folks who, say, gave up their netflix account til the visa bill was paid off, or cut starbucks down to twice a week until the new car was paid off. That does not automatically suggest those folks will be back in debt the minute they reintroduce movies into their life. People make choices.
    Someone could easily decide: grains are the thing I give up (as a way to create a deficit). Or sweets, or cream in coffee, or beer.... as long as one has a plan for what to do after.
    The goal is to LEARN while here to avoid being overweight again... Learn some healthy habits. Learn what the true caloric and health cost of certain foods is.... and learn what better options you have.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Reduce sodium--it's SUCH a sneaky thing and in almost everything. You can go low-carb without going high fat. I generally eat a lot of soy and have at least one protein shake a day.

Normally, I try to stick with veggies, beans and fruits for my carbs. Sometimes whole wheat pasta. Not much bread/rice, etc. Though this is the season for Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pop Tarts! :smile:

How much of each per day? That doesn't sound all that low carb. Slow carb sure, and damned healthy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Thanks for clarifying... you may be someone who'd like South Beach. Healthy carbs are a staple of South Beach (I'm avoiding the "g-word" as it makes people crazy).