Arsenic in Rice

Options
digitalcanuck
digitalcanuck Posts: 60 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Hi All,

Since my celiac diagnosis, I have had to become much more informed about food and nutrition. The learning curve has been huge. I still work hard to keep up with all of the information out there.

I just finished a blog post discussing the recent findings and recommendations regarding arsenic in rice.

Since we are all endeavouring to be more health conscious, I thought others here would find value in the information.

Lisa

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es702747y

California rice has less than Texas and Arkansas rice
    White rice as a general rule has less than brown rice.

Also this:
    http://www.pnas.org/content/105/29/9931.full
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The earliest date i see in those articles is 2008. I wonder how far back this really goes. My daughter was born in 2004 and i was told then (by her pediatrician) to avoid feeding her rice containing foods until she was at least 2.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm not too worried about it
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating rice. And if I could boil it in Aspartame, I'd do that too.
  • digitalcanuck
    Options
    @RodaRose You are right about the California rice. It is lower. The problem comes with the fact that we accumulate the arsenic in our systems. Thanks for passing on the additional link. Very interesting.

@CarrieCans Your pediatrician was on the mark. The concerns have been known for a while, but full on studies to this extent were not done. The other factor that brings this into the fore is that people are now consuming a lot more rice in the form of starches, syrups, and flour. It is also being included in so many other products that do not present as obviously having flour in them.

I hope you found the information helpful. I think that it is so much better to be able to make decisions about what we eat when we at least know all the facts.

Lisa
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Practically any plant or fruit we eat contains some arsenic. What really matters is the level of it ingested.
    Looking at it objectively, countries that consume rice as a staple should be dropping like flies if arsenic is poisoning them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    I'm not too worried about it

+1. Still eating all the brown rice, there are worse things out there.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat brown rice at least 5 times a week. I'm not even worried.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Since my celiac diagnosis, I have had to become much more informed about food and nutrition. The learning curve has been huge. I still work hard to keep up with all of the information out there.

I just finished a blog post discussing the recent findings and recommendations regarding arsenic in rice.

Since we are all endeavouring to be more health conscious, I thought others here would find value in the information.

http://lifestylereset.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/am-i-worried-about-arsenic-in-rice-you-betcha/#more-305

Lisa
    Advertising is against community rules.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Rice is worthless compared to amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yeah, I'm probably not eating sushi if those are the replacements for rice. Worthless is a subjective term when speaking of enjoyment of food. You're relating it to nutritional value.
    Brussels sprouts are great nutritionally over lettuce, but not everyone will choose brussels sprouts over lettuce because of the taste.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• TheDevastator
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm probably not eating sushi if those are the replacements for rice. Worthless is a subjective term when speaking of enjoyment of food. You're relating it to nutritional value.
    Brussels sprouts are great nutritionally over lettuce, but not everyone will choose brussels sprouts over lettuce because of the taste.
    For enjoyment and nutritional value I feel it's worthless except when I eat Asian dishes. Maybe the grains I listed would be better substitutes.
    Have you ever tried sushi with those grains? Who knows they could taste good with sushi. Rice is used because it is cheaper and possibly stickier.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I've been eating rice since the day I was born. I ain't dead yet... and it won't be cuz of rice. (Unless I choke on rice and no one is there to save me.) :astonished:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I think its in poor taste to call any food, specially one that gets consumed on a nearly daily bases by the majority of the world population, "worthless".

I like rice. I like bread too but as a non-far east Asian, my carb intake is 50%-50% consisting of rice and bread. I won't lie and say I know much about Arsenic and what it does but I do know that many people eat rice almost daily and haven't died. And neither do they find it worthless :)
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    taunto wrote: »
    I think its in poor taste to call any food, specially one that gets consumed on a nearly daily bases by the majority of the world population, "worthless".

I like rice. I like bread too but as a non-far east Asian, my carb intake is 50%-50% consisting of rice and bread. I won't lie and say I know much about Arsenic and what it does but I do know that many people eat rice almost daily and haven't died. And neither do they find it worthless :)
    Worthless is a bit harsh. I have eaten and will eat rice in the future regardless of it's arsenic levels but rice is nutritionally inferior compared to amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    For enjoyment and nutritional value I feel it's worthless except when I eat Asian dishes. Maybe the grains I listed would be better substitutes.
    Have you ever tried sushi with those grains? Who knows they could taste good with sushi. Rice is used because it is cheaper and possibly stickier.
    I don't even like brown rice sushi......yuck.
    Reality is, if you're reaching your micro nutrient values on a daily basis, then I wouldn't be worried about eating quinoa, etc. I'd rather enjoy rice for the taste and texture.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• TheDevastator
    Options
    I don't even like brown rice sushi......yuck.
    Reality is, if you're reaching your micro nutrient values on a daily basis, then I wouldn't be worried about eating quinoa, etc. I'd rather enjoy rice for the taste and texture.

lol, I've never heard of brown rice sushi, maybe there's a reason they have sushi rice.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I think this whole thing is a non issue.

The amount of arsenic in rice is so small as to be of zero harm to anyone who eats rice.

Perhaps in theory if one were to eat 50 kg of it a day for 20 years or something ridiculous - but in practice in real life - non issue.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    There's arsenic in apples, too. The amount of arsenic in these foods is minuscule.

As to the 'people are now consuming more rice' bit, that smacks of a cultural bias to me, as folks have already noted how rice has been a staple of certain cultures' diets for hundreds of years.
  • digitalcanuck
    Options
    I apologize for providing my link. I was not advertising as my blog is not a commercial endeavour. It is just a way of documenting new information coming down the pipe.

Whether you decide to include rice in your diet is absolutely your choice. I just wanted to make everyone aware of the research so that they can make informed decisions.

In the future, I will refrain from including external links.

Have a great day.