rate my diet plan!

Options
coruscatti
coruscatti Posts: 81
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
My latest revision to my diet plan goes as follows (it's pretty similar to what I've been eating the past few weeks but with a couple of changes).

This is only my diet plan for during weekdays when I have to go to work. I like to have a set diet plan for work days so I don't have to think about it. On the weekends I try to stay under my calories but I'm not as rigorous about it (for example I might go out to dinner or have a couple of drinks) and don't have a set diet plan.

For breakfast I will have one serving of lentils with half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, a plain nonfat Chobani Greek yogurt with a bit of cinnamon and an unripe banana cut up on top (I only like unripe bananas), two cups of leafy greens, and water to drink.

Morning snack will be one cup of Cheerios, with water as needed.

Lunch will be two slices of toasted whole-grain bread, half a serving of raw almonds, one mozzarella cheese stick, some "junk food" item worth ~80-120 calories, and water to drink flavored with True Lemon or True Lime. I may also bring some vegetables to snack on with mustard as "dip," especially when my office moves to a new building that actually has a break room with refrigerator.

Afternoon snack will be half a serving of wasabi peas, with water as needed.

Dinner will vary but will generally consist of a protein (lean chicken/turkey, eggs, tofu, beans, or steak), a starch (usually pasta, but sometimes brown rice or pearl barley), and a leafy greens/tomato salad or other vegetable.

Dessert will be tea, herbal tea, unsweetened coconut milk, or unsweetened hot cocoa made with baking cocoa.

I plan to continue this diet plan after I lose the last couple of pounds and go into maintenance, except increasing some of the portion sizes slightly to equal the correct number of calories.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Is this the way you currently eat? This sounds like a strict meal plan. Won't you suffer from burn out?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    My rate from 1-10?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    on a scale of 0-10 I would go with negative 10 …

OP - where did you come up with this plan? What is this, like maybe 1000 calories a day, if even that? In my opinion you are going to be better off just eating the foods you like and staying within a deficit. This super restrictive plan is going to set you up for some serious binging at some point, which is then going to lead to feelings of remorse and "I can't do it"...

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP - where did you come up with this plan? What is this, like maybe 1000 calories a day, if even that? In my opinion you are going to be better off just eating the foods you like and staying within a deficit. This super restrictive plan is going to set you up for some serious binging at some point, which is then going to lead to feelings of remorse and "I can't do it"...

It looks to me to be around 1500, depending on the size of the yoghurt/protein portions.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    amy1612 wrote: »

It looks to me to be around 1500, depending on the size of the yoghurt/protein portions.

OP said a plain non fat greek yogurt which is 90 calories for breakfast + half tablespoon of olive oil 60 calories + half banana is what 90 calories? so that is 300 for breakfast…

half cup of cheerios with water is what, 50?

lunch sounds like maybe 400 calories and 50 calorie snack..

Dinner, sounds like about another 400 calories…

OK, so maybe 1100 t0 1200….

still sounds uber restrictive to me …

and i would still rate it at negative 10
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »

I plan to continue this diet plan after I lose the last couple of pounds and go into maintenance, except increasing some of the portion sizes slightly to equal the correct number of calories.

OP, I honestly think that such a restrictive diet plan is not sustainable. What are your current stats?
  • josul75
    josul75 Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well I think it sounds super healthy and if you are feeling satisfied after it, you enjoy what you're eating and you're getting enough calories for the day I don't see the problem.

Seeing as you are somewhat less strict at the weekend, it sounds like a pretty balanced diet to me.
  • coruscatti
    Options

It's around 1600-1700 depending on the size of dinner. It's similar to how I've been eating the past few weeks but with a couple of modifications just for taste and convenience.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    looks a bit carb heavy but if you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. if you're happy eating like that then thats all that matters.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    OP said a plain non fat greek yogurt which is 90 calories for breakfast + half tablespoon of olive oil 60 calories + half banana is what 90 calories? so that is 300 for breakfast…

half cup of cheerios with water is what, 50?

lunch sounds like maybe 400 calories and 50 calorie snack..

Dinner, sounds like about another 400 calories…

OK, so maybe 1100 t0 1200….

still sounds uber restrictive to me …

and i would still rate it at negative 10

Some needs to work on their reading comprehension!

Breakfast is yogurt (90 cals), an entire banana (90 cals), and lentils (180 cals) with olive oil (60 cals but may increase to a whole tablespoon if needed). That adds up to 420 calories or 480 if I put an entire tablespoon of olive oil in.

A cup of Cheerios is 100 cals.

Lunch is only 385 calories not counting the snack but since I have an afternoon snack (which I mis-wrote, I meant to say an entire serving of wasabi peas instead of half) the calories are ok. The afternoon snack is around 120 cals I think.

Dinner varies since the portion sizes can vary. At this time my dinners are usually around 500 calories since that's all the calories I have left by the end of the day. Right now I'm supposed to eat 1600 cals a day.

Once I go into maintenance I will adjust all the portion sizes accordingly.

Also let me ask you a question, are you being so angry about my diet plan because you personally wouldn't be able to follow a diet this "healthy"?
  • coruscatti
    Options

OP, I honestly think that such a restrictive diet plan is not sustainable. What are your current stats?

Right now I'm 5'4" and 123.5 pounds last time I checked. I have about 3.5 pounds left to lose.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Also let me ask you a question, are you being so angry about my diet plan because you personally wouldn't be able to follow a diet this "healthy"?

the only person who seems to be angry is you...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It seems rather unpleasant and random, tbh. It doesn't seem based on any nutritional dogma, and certainly doesn't seem based on tastebuds. But if it works for you, and you're getting enough calories, then best of luck.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    Ok I really don't understand...what is so restrictive about this plan? What do you all usually eat?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Ok I really don't understand...what is so restrictive about this plan? What do you all usually eat?

you eat the same thing 5 days a week....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Look at other formal diet plans that suggest meals for comparison.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, for breakfast, I had a couple eggs, 2 sausage links, and 100 grams of strawberries.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    It seems rather unpleasant and random, tbh. It doesn't seem based on any nutritional dogma, and certainly doesn't seem based on tastebuds. But if it works for you, and you're getting enough calories, then best of luck.

Actually it is based on my personal tastes...it took me a really long time to find breakfast foods I actually wanted to eat. What is so "unpleasant and random" about it? Is it the lack of sugar? It's based off of more or less meeting the requirements given to me by MFP, eating a mostly vegetarian diet (with meat once a week), reducing sugar, and eating legumes/nuts, vegetables, and whole grains. Soooo basically what most nutritionists say are the cornerstones of a healthy diet.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Actually it is based on my personal tastes...it took me a really long time to find breakfast foods I actually wanted to eat. What is so "unpleasant and random" about it? Is it the lack of sugar? It's based off of more or less meeting the requirements given to me by MFP, eating a mostly vegetarian diet (with meat once a week), reducing sugar, and eating legumes/nuts, vegetables, and whole grains. Soooo basically what most nutritionists say are the cornerstones of a healthy diet.

MFPs preset macros arent the greatest to be honest, so i wouldnt worry about them too much.
  • coruscatti
    coruscatti Posts: 81
    edited November 2014
    Options
    you eat the same thing 5 days a week....

So?
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Well, for breakfast, I had a couple eggs, 2 sausage links, and 100 grams of strawberries.

That sounds good and my weekend breakfasts would be more along those lines (minus the sausage) but honestly I am not a morning person...it's enough to get me out of bed at 6:45 AM, I'm not going to be cooking a complicated breakfast on top of that and washing all the associated dishes. I like to have everything already prepared and ready to go.