rate my diet plan!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    My only requirement is 145g of protein every day.

See if I was like everyone else on this forum I would be all like "145g of protein PER DAY?! That's DISGUSTING! How can you POSSIBLY eat that much??"

...but I'm not THAT sanctimonious.
    it is better than dry cheerios...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    At this point, I think it's best to just let this thread go. Many people cannot eat what you eat every day, but overall, it seems to meet your macro goals, keeps you satiated, and you enjoy your food. If it works for you, that's all that matters (and it doesn't matter if it would work for me or anyone else).

Well some people brought up the possibility of long-term nutritional deficiencies developing and I was hoping to get comments more along the lines of that. Like what are some nutrient-rich foods I could add to make sure I get all the esoteric micro-nutrients like selenium and stuff that aren't even listed on MFP. Stuff like that.

Also stuff about balance of actual food groups. Like am I having too many nuts/legumes and what are the consequences of that. Or am I having too much dairy or not enough.

I guess I just expected to get more intelligent comments than "OMG YOUR DIET IS GROSS!!!!111"

you asked for a rating, and received them.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Ummm no it's because you're supposed to drink 8 cups of water per day. Since I work in a lab I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything as I work and so I have to remember to actually go get water when I'm taking a break, or else I will get headaches.

the bit in bold is rubbish. there is NO scientific evidence that states this. you need a good amount of fluids in your diet. This can come from foods you eat or indeed ANY form of drink including tea and coffee.

as to your diet, it's not to my taste, but it's healthy enough.

• coruscatti
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    the bit in bold is rubbish. there is NO scientific evidence that states this. you need a good amount of fluids in your diet. This can come from foods you eat or indeed ANY form of drink including tea and coffee.

as to your diet, it's not to my taste, but it's healthy enough.

Ok well I didn't know that but MFP says to drink 8 cups of water per day (I'm assuming they mean cups as in "1-cup measurements," not as "glasses") so that's what I've been going by. I've never heard that this wasn't backed up by scientific evidence...but in any case it seems to be a good metric for me to go by.

Also I count any fluid as "water" when listing water intake.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    Just one more comment before I get back to work: just think about it for a second. How would you feel if you were a person who was trying to get their diet together and stay healthy, and people made a bunch of nasty and unhelpful comments to you about how your diet is "gross" and "unappetizing" and "random and monotonous" and "a negative 10 out of 10" (I really doubt that, to me negative 10 out of 10 would be eating nothing but ice cream). Wouldn't you feel hurt too? And like maybe people on this forum were just out to tear you down and make you feel bad about your diet choices?

Some people on this forum really need to learn how to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Or else just keep their opinions to themselves if they don't have anything helpful or intelligent to say.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just one more comment before I get back to work: just think about it for a second. How would you feel if you were a person who was trying to get their diet together and stay healthy, and people made a bunch of nasty and unhelpful comments to you about how your diet is "gross" and "unappetizing" and "random and monotonous" and "a negative 10 out of 10" (I really doubt that, to me negative 10 out of 10 would be eating nothing but ice cream). Wouldn't you feel hurt too? And like maybe people on this forum were just out to tear you down and make you feel bad about your diet choices?

Some people on this forum really need to learn how to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Or else just keep their opinions to themselves if they don't have anything helpful or intelligent to say.

dont post on PUBLIC forums if you dont want peoples OPINIONS.... :noway:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    mxmkenney wrote: »
    Sorry, but your entire meal plan sounds gross, with the exception of dinner. If I had to eat that every day I would definitely lose weight. It is ok to mix it up you know. And cheerios with water? Why bother. LOL

Ok thanks for your entirely irrelevant opinion.

No. She answered the question exactly how the question was worded. You asked a question. People are giving you their opinions (ratings, if you will) and then you don't want to take them seriously when it doesn't line up with what you want to hear. That tells me that the problem isn't them, it's your defensiveness.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP, if you'd wanted people to "rate" your diet based on whether it'll provide you with enough nutrients for example, you should have initially provided us with basic things like your stats, the amounts of each food you'd be eating (portion sizes/weights would have been useful so we could calculate the macros ourselves), any food allergies, your goals, et cetera. What we were given were specific food items in a seemingly rigid diet plan, and we rated them as they were, for what they were. And you said yourself, a negative 10 would be nothing but ice cream, but for someone who loves ice cream and could make ice cream fit their macros? That would be a 10/10 for him/her, as opposed to your negative rating. So please don't get agitated at the literal ratings.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

I'd like to add: No one here was being nasty either. It's just people have thin skin these days.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    OP, if you'd wanted people to "rate" your diet based on whether it'll provide you with enough nutrients for example, you should have initially provided us with basic things like your stats, the amounts of each food you'd be eating (portion sizes/weights would have been useful so we could calculate the macros ourselves), any food allergies, your goals, et cetera. What we were given were specific food items in a seemingly rigid diet plan, and we rated them as they were, for what they were.

QFT!!!!!

I'm just waiting for a mean people thread from the OP now....
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

I'd like to add: No one here was being nasty either. It's just people have thin skin these days.

agreed.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For breakfast I will have one serving of lentils with half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, a plain nonfat Chobani Greek yogurt with a bit of cinnamon and an unripe banana cut up on top (I only like unripe bananas), two cups of leafy greens, and water to drink.

Morning snack will be one cup of Cheerios, with water as needed.

Lunch will be two slices of toasted whole-grain bread, half a serving of raw almonds, one mozzarella cheese stick, some "junk food" item worth ~80-120 calories, and water to drink flavored with True Lemon or True Lime. I may also bring some vegetables to snack on with mustard as "dip," especially when my office moves to a new building that actually has a break room with refrigerator.

Afternoon snack will be half a serving of wasabi peas, with water as needed.

Dinner will vary but will generally consist of a protein (lean chicken/turkey, eggs, tofu, beans, or steak), a starch (usually pasta, but sometimes brown rice or pearl barley), and a leafy greens/tomato salad or other vegetable.

Dessert will be tea, herbal tea, unsweetened coconut milk, or unsweetened hot cocoa made with baking cocoa.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

IMO:

Love the idea of lentils for breakfast. I would personnally make a herby yogurt sauce with the greek yogurt (and I would take one that have fat) to pour over de lentils and I would drizzle the olive oil over, so the breakfast would be on the savory side, but this is my personal taste. I usually eat omelet or morning wraps made with leftover protein or egg whites and cheese, with hot sauce.

Cheerios is a good snacking snack, but it's not a fueling snack. I would switch to something that won't be processed as soon as you've ate it, a good combination of protein and carbs. I often eat soup in the morning (last week soup was an hearty chicken noodle soup that was around 150 cals a cup and provided 22g of protein because of the chicken and the homemade broth), but an apple with peanut butter and honey, some string cheese with Goldfish or a half a can of flavored tuna with crackers are good choices for me.

Your lunch looks boring and I would feel seriously deprived without proteins, I don't know how you can fight the 3 o'clock office fatigue without eating something that will be digested all the afternoon. I usually ate leftovers from the night before. Today, it's half a pound of shrimps in spicy sauce with a little crusty bread and a handful of arugula.

See previous comments about your snack. Wasabi peas are a nice snack to munch on, but it will never get me through dinner. You should try to find the wasabi soy beans that have a better nutritional value, at least. I, for myself, eat my greek yogurt in the afternoon. 2% or 4% fat, depending on what was on special at the grocery store.

Dinner looks ok and pretty balanced.

In general, I think that this diet is a little carb heavy (based on my own nutrient ratios) and there isn't as much protein as I like to eat to feel energized. Snacks needs a serious revision. You would benefit from more variety.

I rate your diet a 6 out of 10.

• coruscatti
    Options
    Luckily I am close to my goal weight, but what if you made comments about someone's diet being "disgusting" when they were just starting out? You could really discourage someone.

Food speaks to who we are in many ways. The food you eat indicates your socioeconomic status, overall health levels, weight, and even culture. Therefore when you say the food someone eats is "disgusting," in a way, you are saying that THEY are disgusting.

And anyone with half a brain in their heads should have realized that I wasn't looking for personal opinions, but for informed opinions from a nutrition standpoint. Can someone tell me why they think I or anyone else would care about whether random people think the foods they eat TASTE good?
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Some people on this forum really need to learn how to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

I just rated your diet with constructive comments, suggestions and examples, and you didn't bother answering something.

You're not interested in constructive criticism, you're interested in fighting people over the internet.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    And anyone with half a brain in their heads should have realized that I wasn't looking for personal opinions, but for informed opinions from a nutrition standpoint. Can someone tell me why they think I or anyone else would care about whether random people think the foods they eat TASTE good?

That is ABSOLUTELY what I get from a thread called 'rate my diet plan!' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Luckily I am close to my goal weight, but what if you made comments about someone's diet being "disgusting" when they were just starting out? You could really discourage someone.

Food speaks to who we are in many ways. The food you eat indicates your socioeconomic status, overall health levels, weight, and even culture. Therefore when you say the food someone eats is "disgusting," in a way, you are saying that THEY are disgusting.

walk away

seriously

time to abandon thread
  • coruscatti
    coruscatti Posts: 81
    edited November 2014
    Options

I just rated your diet with constructive comments, suggestions and examples, and you didn't bother answering something.

You're not interested in constructive criticism, you're interested in fighting people over the internet.

I did see your post but I didn't have enough time to read and respond to it thoroughly the last time I posted, since I was just on the way to lunch.

I do think you gave good suggestions. I really like the breakfast suggestion to make the yogurt into a sauce. It might even work on chicken...have to experiment. And it would probably be good with cayenne pepper in it.

The main reason why my lunch and snacks have to be so "boring" is because we don't have a refrigerator at work (hopefully that will change when we move to a new building in January) and so everything has to be nonperishable. I've tried icepacks but they all melt way before lunchtime and I don't entirely trust them to keep the food cold anyway. And I go out for lunch sometimes (today for example) but can't afford to every day.

I've tried to find foods that I can keep out of the fridge but it's hard...mainly just ends up being cheese and nuts. I brought a can of tuna to work a couple of times but I don't want to eat tuna regularly because of mercury. Plus it tends to get everywhere when you open it, and as I said no break room = no sink to drain it in.

I guess I could have the yogurt later in the day though, since it is supposed to keep for several hours at room temp. I did that a couple of times.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    That is ABSOLUTELY what I get from a thread called 'rate my diet plan!' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok then you need to go back to middle school and learn the difference between denotation and connotation :)
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Also:

You're not logging consistently. You're logging three days in a row, then you stop, then you start again. Constancy in logging, even when you're over, even on cheat days, is the only way to have an accurate portrait of your food intake. I will start with that.

When you're over your calorie goals, you're often over in the carbs department, and under everywhere else. Carbs, especially refined carbs, spike insulin and glucose in your blood, which can cause cravings. Try to up your protein intake a little bit to see if it makes a difference.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about mercury in tuna, you probably want to avoid brown rice due to high arsenic levels.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm#chart

Otherwise, check your macros and calorie levels. Eating the same food every day will probably leave you lacking something. Take a vitamin pill daily.