Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I also wouldn't take it and throw it away later, why should you?

Sometimes, it is just the nice thing to do to let people think that they've been able to help in some way.

So you're saying she should give into people pushing alcohol on her when she clearly says no? She doesn't need to be nice, she needs to keep doing what she's doing.

Not unless they crushed the grapes themselves. My point is that when someone feels like they've put in a special effort to give someone something, it is understandable that they would be offended if the person doesn't accept it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I think it's a matter of people trying to justify their own bad choices. When they see you making good choices, it forces them to look at themselves. The easiest passage to making themselves feel better is to persuade you to skip back over to their side of the equation. I don't think anyone does this on purpose; it's just that people don't really like when others' behavior shines a negative light on their own.

Stay firm. Your choices are about you. Everyone has the ability and the right to choose the lifestyle (and the resulting consequences) they want.

Totally agree with this, I feel like people inwardly do a little victory dance if they can "get me" to eat something that I normally wouldn't...it makes them feel better about what they're doing.

That is how I felt when I got my friend, groom, to smoke on the bachelor trip.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I think it's a matter of people trying to justify their own bad choices. When they see you making good choices, it forces them to look at themselves. The easiest passage to making themselves feel better is to persuade you to skip back over to their side of the equation. I don't think anyone does this on purpose; it's just that people don't really like when others' behavior shines a negative light on their own.

Stay firm. Your choices are about you. Everyone has the ability and the right to choose the lifestyle (and the resulting consequences) they want.

Totally agree with this, I feel like people inwardly do a little victory dance if they can "get me" to eat something that I normally wouldn't...it makes them feel better about what they're doing.

And you're proud of that?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

+1 Nicely put!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Hell yeah. I was there to witness that and the second time he smoke with his newlywed wife on his wedding day.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why do people think that everyone has a sweet tooth? I'm perfectly content passing on sweets regardless of my personal convictions/commitment to my personal health!

You're not alone. There is no magical "piss off" mechanism you can utilize, not that I have witnessed at least. If you find something that works, please share ;-)!

When it comes to cocktails, I have found great luck in ordering a sparkling water on the rocks with a wedge of lime, and just sip on it as if it's a vodka tonic or something of the like. Easier on the wallet, non-damaging to your body :-). It really is sad that I feel the need to resort to deception... but having the "why aren't you drinking..." discussion is a serious mood-kill!

That's a great idea!
  • TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    Been there, still there! It's really annoying especially when you're trying to have the will-power to say no and you're still at the early stage of starting this healthy journey. They'll tell you a little piece won't hurt, but it never stops just at that little piece!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Hanowenho wrote: »
    I quite often find people will offer you small things such as a brownie, small cake or a sweet. I know many people who do this on a regular basis who genuinely get offended when I politely decline!
    People always seem to think they know what's best for your body, saying "well a little bit of what you like does you good". They can't comprehend that I know much more about what's best for me to eat that day than they do!
    I've also stopped drinking cows milk in favour of almond, and stopped drinking alcohol unless it's a big occasion. As a student, I'm getting quite a lot of stick for not drinking sporadically throughout the week! When my excuse is my health they judge me, if I lie and say it's merely funds they'll pass me the special brew!
    Sick of it. Anyone else find this?!
    They will judge you regardless. If you prefer to have friends who think 'health conscious' is a bad trait and 'partier' is a good one, you might just have to live with their judgement. It's good practice for the rest of your life. People will always judge your choices. Learn not to care. :)

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Hell yeah. I was there to witness that and the second time he smoke with his newlywed wife on his wedding day.

LOL You're a bad man.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My mom gave me some good advice about drinking at partys. if its a can or a solo cup... just take what they offer and then just keep it in your hand...they never notice whether you are drinking it and whether its another or your first...especially if they've been drinking. ;) Once when I was with a friend...I kept pooring a little in her cup when see went to the bathroom or danced. (mind you I didn't drink from mine). She thought I was too drunk to drive assuming I had been drinking as much as her. lol
  • yopeeps025
    Options

LOL You're a bad man.

Or a funny guy since they smoked so did a bunch of groomsmen and the maid of honor. Of course I did. I was high the entire wedding day. My cousin though I was going to not be able to walk down the aisle high since I was also a groomsmen.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hanowenho wrote: »
    ...As a student, I'm getting quite a lot of stick for not drinking sporadically throughout the week! ... Anyone else find this?!

As a student, you are going to get this throughout your college years. Students that don't drink are considered odd. Others find it especially fun to tease those that do not want to drink for whatever reason, ethics, health, or simply preference.

And eating junk food? Everyone will get that pushed on them throughout their life.

"And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint"
    "No"
    "Oh sir... it's only wafer thin."
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The bad things about pretending to drink when underage are that the cops won't care that you were pretending, if you're at a party that's busted but worse - that maybe there are other friends in your group that would like to not imbibe but see that no one else is saying "no thanks" so they also feel uncomfortable saying no.

Sometimes it's tough to be the first to stand up for what you believe in, but that's being a leader.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe get some new friends who are more health concious or at least don't pressure others into doing things they don't want to do.
    You can take something and just not eat or drink it if it makes your life easier.
    Don't go out with people who are going out drinking. That is their purpose so you not drinking while with them is hard for them to understand or they feel bad about what they are doing if not everyone is doing it.

I've never been a drinker and would just say no thanks, get something else to drink, or take an alcoholic drink but not really drink it. I didn't have a high principle or a big health concern but just didn't like the taste or how it made me feel. I never really explained.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    When I'm offered something I don't want, I just say no, and if I'm asked why I tell them I don't want it. I'm surprised to hear there are people who argue this. "Do you want a piece of cake?" No thank you. "Why not?" Because I don't want one. Generally end of story. There really isn't anywhere for people to go after that.

Exactly. I have no problem telling people no. "No" is a full sentence. "No, thank you" is a polite, full sentence. I use both according to the circumstances.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Get over explaining things. You are an adult and a simple, "No thank you" is a very polite answer.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    don't make a big deal of it (sometimes we do without meaning to)

say - I don't really like to drink - but have a good time anyway

say - No thanks, I don't fancy it
    ^This. Seriously, don't worry about it. Just smile and say 'no thanks'. Also, don't let yourself get stuck in the role of the DD every single time unless you genuinely want to.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you going out with friends to a bar, just get a soda water with twist of lime to sip on. No one will know it's not vodka if you don't bring it up.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The them you became Mormon and it's against your religion. :grin:

This makes me laugh. I live in Utah and there is a well known saying, if you are going to invite one of your Mormon friends to go with you, make sure you invite two, otherwise the one will drink all your beer.

I get the peer pressure. I'm in my 40's and I have friends that still pressure me to binge drink with them (tailgating parties). I get that it's easier as an adult, but I just simply say NO. Same with food, I don't give them an excuse, I don't tell them I'm trying to be healthier, it's none of their business. Believe me, my one friend is PERSISTENT, and when that becomes a problem I just tell them to hold that thought, and I walk over and start a conversation with someone else.

Good luck, being young and peer pressure sucks, but guess what, it's a great learning experience for the person you want to be when you grow up!