sugar intake - don't understand

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Taajsgpm wrote: »

Agreed, its processed sugar, the worst poison you can put in your body

For the last time. Sugar is not poison. Processed sugar is no worse for you than sugar that occurs naturally in food, because it IS sugar that occurs naturally in food. it has just been removed from the beets or cane or corn that contains it. In some cases it can be worse. Agave nectar has more fructose by weight than HFCS but is touted as a healthy alternative.

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    It's not - sugar from fruits with fiber is absorbed slowly into the bloodstream (because of the fiber) which causes a slow rise in insulin to turn the sugar into energy for the body. The problem comes when you eat excess amounts of added/processed sugars that are absorbed into the bloodstream causing a rapid spike in insulin. These large surges of insulin eventually cause you to be tired and hungry. Over time, they can cause fat deposits and diseases like Diabetes Type II and heart disease.

I try to keep my added/processed sugars under 25 - 30 grams a day. I don't worry about sugar from fruit.

Some links that explain it better than I can:

Glycemic Index Table for Fruit & Vegetables

Glycemic Index FAQs

Why [added corn syrup] Fructose is Bad For You

Ah, MFP, where processed sugar is a worse poison than anthrax, cyanide, and hemlock.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I don't eat sweets, not now and not before because I just don't crave it.
    My only sugar intake comes from fresh fruit (banana, strawberry, etc), and the creamer from my coffee (I don't use sugar).
    Today I've eaten 1 banana, coffee with creamer, egg whites with a little butternut squash and onion, tuna salad, steamed red cabbage and water. I'm already over my allowed sugar intake and it's only 3:30 !!!!
    This doesn't make sense. Granted most of it came from my creamer, but I can't do sugar free, it tastes nasty. But a large portion came from the banana - why is that a negative?

I know what you mean. I am now off of fruit for the same reason you found. When I get more time I will work on getting part of an apple added back in. Banana is the no no food I read for these watching sugar/carbs intake. It is not negative per say but one good reason to count calories. The carbs are the sneaky critters. :(

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I bought Stevia. And half and half creamer. Since then I drink much less coffee, which is probably a good thing anyways. Now my coffee is about 80-120 calories instead of 250-300. I'm not loving the taste, but it's a small sacrifice to shave off calories and sugar.

Stevia also came in handy during the Thanksgiving cooking, so I'm glad you guys suggested that. I always knew about Stevia, used that, as well as Truvia but since I never thought about my sugar intake (and never realized how much sugar is in everything already) I never even thought about using it.

I can't say no to fruits though :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

For the last time. Sugar is not poison. Processed sugar is no worse for you than sugar that occurs naturally in food, because it IS sugar that occurs naturally in food. it has just been removed from the beets or cane or corn that contains it. In some cases it can be worse. Agave nectar has more fructose by weight than HFCS but is touted as a healthy alternative.

I strongly disagree!

That was NOT the last time! :wink:

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Marianna, making small changes and observing the results is the way to go. You will be sure to get positive results from that.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I bought Stevia. And half and half creamer. Since then I drink much less coffee, which is probably a good thing anyways. Now my coffee is about 80-120 calories instead of 250-300. I'm not loving the taste, but it's a small sacrifice to shave off calories and sugar.

Stevia also came in handy during the Thanksgiving cooking, so I'm glad you guys suggested that. I always knew about Stevia, used that, as well as Truvia but since I never thought about my sugar intake (and never realized how much sugar is in everything already) I never even thought about using it.

I can't say no to fruits though :)

Coffee was one of my big calorie sources as well. I cut down from 450 to 150 or less and that really helped.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Be careful with stevia if you really think you might be hypoglycemic. Stevia is highly recommended for diabetics because it not only doesnt spike their blood sugar, it can actually lower it in some people. If you are low to start with, stevia can really tank your blood sugar and cause you to have a hypoglycemic episode even if you never had one before.

If you do use stevia, always put it in something that has other carbs to counteract the effect somewhat, and pay strict attention to how you feel within the first few hours after consuming it. Be especially careful using it in your coffee, if it has no other carbs. If you get lightheaded, dizzy, see stars, etc in the hour or two after, dont use it there again!

**This is all in my experience, take it for what it is... just a caution, not science.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Be careful with stevia if you really think you might be hypoglycemic. Stevia is highly recommended for diabetics because it not only doesnt spike their blood sugar, it can actually lower it in some people. If you are low to start with, stevia can really tank your blood sugar and cause you to have a hypoglycemic episode even if you never had one before.

If you do use stevia, always put it in something that has other carbs to counteract the effect somewhat, and pay strict attention to how you feel within the first few hours after consuming it. Be especially careful using it in your coffee, if it has no other carbs. If you get lightheaded, dizzy, see stars, etc in the hour or two after, dont use it there again!

**This is all in my experience, take it for what it is... just a caution, not science.

Thank you! I'll definitely keep an eye out. I'm a teacher, so we have off until Monday (we had 9 days total, yeay) so I my schedule is different: have not much to do. So far I haven't noticed anything negative.
    Usually I take one big huge cup of coffee to school (2 double espressos) with creamer and milk, which I'm sure was at least 350 calories. But I drank it up to lunchtime, and sometimes even after that. I always felt that it actually kept my blood sugar at a constant and never crashed. The negative was that I wasn't hungry, so I didn't have breakfast or a snack (it was hard to sneak food in during the school day, but found a way in the past 2 weeks) and lunch wasn't until 12:30.

Now I will try this 'new coffee' at school as well, but I am taking snacks with me for just in case, and anyways I am trying to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner from now on.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP unless you have some underlying medical condition that would make you sensitive to sugar then I would not be worried about it….

sugar is not the devil….

Lol - The greatest trick sugar ever pulled was convincing the world it doesn't exist. And like that… is't gone.

I'm not sure anyone is claiming that sugar is the Devil - although in pretty much every post you seem to think its the title of the thread!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP unless you have some underlying medical condition that would make you sensitive to sugar then I would not be worried about it….

sugar is not the devil….

Lol - The greatest trick sugar ever pulled was convincing the world it doesn't exist. And like that… is't gone.

I'm not sure anyone is claiming that sugar is the Devil - although in pretty much every post you seem to think its the title of the thread!

go back and re-read posts comparing sugar to poison in this thread and tell me people don't think it is the devil ….

Or did you once again not read the entire thread….?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    No not reading the treads is your job (well it's the best way of not properly answering the question).

Still not sure how something being considered bad for health equates to it being the devil.

A bit of drama queen response!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I strongly disagree!

OK sugar and the many different types may not be considered 'poison' in a legal sense but processed sugar will give me foot pain in the matter of a few hours that I know about when I take a step. Anything that is toxic to me it is a poison to me in my mind. Others are just fine with the sugars out there today and I fully understand that but that is not the case if I put it in my body.

rodalenews.com/sugar-toxic

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    What does "processed sugar" mean? Only white sugar? Or does it also include raw, turbinado, brown, cane juice, molasses, honey, stevia, muscovado, and beet sugar? What about fructose? Can you eat fruit?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

I strongly disagree!

OK sugar and the many different types may not be considered 'poison' in a legal sense but processed sugar will give me foot pain in the matter of a few hours that I know about when I take a step. Anything that is toxic to me it is a poison to me in my mind. Others are just fine with the sugars out there today and I fully understand that but that is not the case if I put it in my body.

Today's word is "hypochondriac". Can you say "hypochondriac"?

I bet you can.

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I don't eat sweets, not now and not before because I just don't crave it.
    My only sugar intake comes from fresh fruit (banana, strawberry, etc), and the creamer from my coffee (I don't use sugar).
    Today I've eaten 1 banana, coffee with creamer, egg whites with a little butternut squash and onion, tuna salad, steamed red cabbage and water. I'm already over my allowed sugar intake and it's only 3:30 !!!!
    This doesn't make sense. Granted most of it came from my creamer, but I can't do sugar free, it tastes nasty. But a large portion came from the banana - why is that a negative?

Concentrate on getting enough fibre, 30-50g a day is probably a good target. If you're getting plenty of fibre, then how much sugar you consume is irrelevant. In fact even if you're not getting much fibre, I wouldn't stress about it. If you're eating at a deficit eating sugar isn't going to jeapordise weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    What does "processed sugar" mean? Only white sugar? Or does it also include raw, turbinado, brown, cane juice, molasses, honey, stevia, muscovado, and beet sugar? What about fructose? Can you eat fruit?

Those who think sugar is an evil poison usually equate the term "processed" with being removed from its source so, in theory, the only added sweetener that is OK is raw honey which is just collected. Every other sweetener is processed. Eating fruit and veggies is OK because the fructose they contain develops in the fruit and stays there.

It doesn't make any sense because honey is made up of glucose and fructose. Sucrose (sugar from cane or beets as well as maple syrup) is broken down in the body as glucose and fructose. Then again, when has any food myth made sense.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I strongly disagree!

Ok, what does "poison in a legal sense" mean? Sorry, but your posts are making less and less sense these days.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrrr. I hate when people think sugar is bad.

Last week my daughters school had a "nutrition expert" come in and discuss healthy eating. I thought the timing was great considering we have been discussing this at home a lot. I now have the task of convincing and my daughter that i know more than the professional who filled her head with nonsense. This woman basically told the children that sugar in all forms is bad for you and should be avoided as much as possible. Now she doesn't want to eat fruit.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Grrrrrrr. I hate when people think sugar is bad.

Last week my daughters school had a "nutrition expert" come in and discuss healthy eating. I thought the timing was great considering we have been discussing this at home a lot. I now have the task of convincing and my daughter that i know more than the professional who filled her head with nonsense. This woman basically told the children that sugar in all forms is bad for you and should be avoided as much as possible. Now she doesn't want to eat fruit.

Lovely. Why can't people just apply common sense? My friend's father said it best many, many years ago: "There are two thing you just cannot teach people to do. One is to read critically and the other is to think. They either do it or they don't.".