Finding it extremely hard to eat. Please I need help

Options
Heloooo there! :)

Can't seem to manage to eat my lunch any more. This is darn frustrating. If I try forcing myself I just belch. Don't know what to do any more. I ate half my breakfast this morning, skipped lunch wasn't hungry and forced my protein shake down. This is been going on 3 days now. Anyone experienced this and how can I fix it? I don't exercise any more cause I only get about 700 calories in a day. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• anashnyc
    anashnyc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not enough background to comment very effectively, but it seems like its more than just the lunch you are having issues with. 700 calories per day is way too low unless you are doing some medical based diet which is usually for obese patients. Where did you come up with that calorie goal?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You should probably see a doctor.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Are you just not hungry when it's lunchtime? If that's the case, wait until you're hungry, unless you absolutely can't (work or something else). You could try eating a smaller lunch?

Although it really sounds like, if you can't manage to eat more than 700 calories in a day, maybe you should see a doctor. If that is absolutely not an option, try eating more calorie-dense foods (peanut butter, nuts, avocados). Also, you could possibly be eating more than you think....but as a previous poster said, without more information, it's hard to tell.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? A decrease in appetite could be a symptom of something else.
  • HanreCornelius
    HanreCornelius Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    anashnyc wrote: »
    Not enough background to comment very effectively, but it seems like its more than just the lunch you are having issues with. 700 calories per day is way too low unless you are doing some medical based diet which is usually for obese patients. Where did you come up with that calorie goal?
    Hello that's the thing my normal calorie intake was 1200 a day and I had no problem eating al the food on my plate but these days I struggle to eat any food I seem to only manage half my breakfast, don't even try to eat lunch any more, and at night I have to force my meal replacement shake down. I'm not feeling sick at all.(only feeling sick when force feeding myself) I lost 30.8 lbs in total and still have 17.6lbs to go, so I was doing great. So I have no idea why this is happening.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dinner, big deal. Log your food, eat purposely and don't worry about timing.
  • HanreCornelius
    Options
    Are you just not hungry when it's lunchtime? If that's the case, wait until you're hungry, unless you absolutely can't (work or something else). You could try eating a smaller lunch?

Although it really sounds like, if you can't manage to eat more than 700 calories in a day, maybe you should see a doctor. If that is absolutely not an option, try eating more calorie-dense foods (peanut butter, nuts, avocados). Also, you could possibly be eating more than you think....but as a previous poster said, without more information, it's hard to tell.

:) I'm just not hungry, its not that I'm feeling sick. But I'll definitely make a appointment at my doctor today. My daily eating plan kinda looks like this: Morning: 3eggs, 2 strips bacon/ 1 oz of feta cheese and 2 portions of veggies. Lunch: 8oz of any kind of meat and 2 portions of veggies. Dinner: proteinshake with milk and 2 portions of fruits. I ate all this with no problems what so ever, now I can't seem to manage it
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Have you talked to your doctor? A decrease in appetite could be a symptom of something else.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be shocked if even 1200 was half what you burned in total daily.
    Depending on how much to lose, that might have been a shock to the body if not much.
    Now it's stressed out.
    Bad sign.

Dr great idea.

Because the amount of muscle mass that could be lost right now with no exercise and barely eating, if this continued on without trying to correct - scary.

So good job getting in there. Keep trying to eat those calorie dense stuff.

You aren't still stuffing yourself with some ridiculous amount of water before meals, right, like half your body-weight in oz's or such foolish advice thrown out.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    anashnyc wrote: »
    Hello that's the thing my normal calorie intake was 1200 a day and I had no problem eating al the food on my plate but these days I struggle to eat any food I seem to only manage half my breakfast, don't even try to eat lunch any more, and at night I have to force my meal replacement shake down. I'm not feeling sick at all.(only feeling sick when force feeding myself) I lost 30.8 lbs in total and still have 17.6lbs to go, so I was doing great. So I have no idea why this is happening.

3 days is no big deal. If it goes on longer see a doctor. My guess is that you are sick or stressed and just dont realize it
  • honee_bear
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

I agree. It seems out of the ordinary, and you don't want to let it go too far to where it's detrimental to your health. Let me know how it works out for you.

• acogg
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating all of your day for breakfast. Your body is not sick, it is satisfied. It is puzzling to me why not being hungry is considered a symptom of a disease.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    acogg wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with eating all of your day for breakfast. Your body is not sick, it is satisfied. It is puzzling to me why not being hungry is considered a symptom of a disease.

When it suddenly changes, and when it's half what it was.

Who said disease?

Several said something to check in to - because guess what, several very negative things can start with suddenly decrease of appetite.

Might not have read all the posts by OP to get complete story, good idea to.
  • HanreCornelius
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Depending on how much to lose, that might have been a shock to the body if not much.
    Now it's stressed out.
    Bad sign.

Dr great idea.

Because the amount of muscle mass that could be lost right now with no exercise and barely eating, if this continued on without trying to correct - scary.

You aren't still stuffing yourself with some ridiculous amount of water before meals, right, like half your body-weight in oz's or such foolish advice thrown out.

:) I'm not very active during the day so 1200 cal is about right for me. I'm sitting most of the day. I don't love drinking water that much so I drink about 12 glasses of water a day. (250ml per glass) is it too much?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Now it's stressed out.
    Bad sign.

Dr great idea.

:) I'm not very active during the day so 1200 cal is about right for me. I'm sitting most of the day. I don't love drinking water that much so I drink about 12 glasses of water a day. (250ml per glass) is it too much?

How tall are you, OP? I ask because I'm only 5' 3 1/2" and I burn around 1800 cals on very sedentary days (I work a desk job). That raises up to 2200 on active days when I walk a lot or run. Unless you're very short, 1200 is unlikely to be enough calories for you.

• HanreCornelius
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm about 5'8" I sit and watch tv all day long *blush* and clean about an hour a day.
    Now it's stressed out.
    Bad sign.

Dr great idea.

How tall are you, OP? I ask because I'm only 5' 3 1/2" and I burn around 1800 cals on very sedentary days (I work a desk job). That raises up to 2200 on active days when I walk a lot or run. Unless you're very short, 1200 is unlikely to be enough calories for you.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    The calculator at IIFYM.com says you should be eating around 1900 to maintain, so by eating 1200, you're keeping around a 700 calorie deficit. Honestly, I personally would increase it to 1400, keeping a 500 calorie deficit, but then I like to eat :blush: If you're comfortable and not hungry with such a low intake, then I would suggest that you do whatever you can to ensure that you eat at least that much, the 1200.

Have you tried drinking your calories? Often, that's easier than forcing yourself to eat. A protein shake or meal replacement drink can go a long way toward filling in those calorie and nutrient holes.

Also, higher calorie healthful foods like nuts, extra virgin olive oil, or cheese (if you eat dairy) are great for boosting your calorie intake without filling it with junk.
  • BushidosQueen
    Options
    Okay getting down to basics. Did you up you water and then start noticing that you weren't hungry as much? Do you drink more water in the morning vs at night or do you spread them evenly through the day?
  • acogg
    Options
    I will not quote a particular post, I will let other readers form their own opinion from past posts. If I quote, it will be considered a "targeting" post. I do question the OP that food timing is important to weight loss. It has not been my experience that missing lunch has harmed my health or weight loss.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited November 2014
    Options
    acogg wrote: »
    I will not quote a particular post, I will let other readers form their own opinion from past posts. If I quote, it will be considered a "targeting" post. I do question the OP that food timing is important to weight loss. It has not been my experience that missing lunch has harmed my health or weight loss.

I agree that food timing has nothing to do with weight loss. Studies have proven this. But I think the issue the OP is expressing is that she is not able to make up the calories throughout the day, so she is actually missing those calories, not just compacting them in with another meal or snack.

In other words, she has suddenly gone from eating 1200 cals to only managing 700, and is concerned because that is (obviously) not enough.