Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Funny topic because just past night my partner told me her new goal is to get at least the top 4 go be visible by the summer. I want to be as encouraging as possible but reality is a "b". Going to have to come up with a game plan.

Well, I'd post photos to illustrate the results of how I got mine, but I'm pretty sure it'll be removed by the mods and I'll get my 4th strike.
    You have 3 strikes? Wtf? For what?

You can start a new thread on the topic specifically and maybe some of the women can get some real advice on the topic. I would probably ask her if she's okay with me posting pictures of her to get feedback. She'd end up popping in after I post. She just hates using forums but she does pop up when I send her the specific link.

Honestly, still trying to figure that out. Unfortunately, I'm not very tech savvy and can't post a pic to save my life LOL

What did the moderator write when they gave you the warning or was it just people flagging you?

Looks like just flagged...one for spam, and twice for abuse. Funny, I reviewed the guidelines this morning and am not in violation of any of them.

you can get flagged by other members for anything, doesnt matter if its actually abusive/spam or whatever. people flag anything they just dont agree with.

I think usmcmp has been flagged/spammed like 80 times or something crazy, and she always replies thoughtfully without offending. The system is broke.

• FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Stength training is a must to build a strong core. Alternate your ab routines to confuse your muscles. For me I don't focus on speed as much as I do breathing and contracting. You need to build them up and diet down to see them. If you don't build them up theyll never "pop".
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You need to build them up and diet down to see them. If you don't build them up theyll never "pop".

/thread

• Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Stength training is a must to build a strong core. Alternate your ab routines to confuse your muscles. For me I don't focus on speed as much as I do breathing and contracting. You need to build them up and diet down to see them. If you don't build them up theyll never "pop".

Get into strength training. Movements that force you to engage your core. A strong functional core is better than one is just for show. Basically listen to FitnessTrainer69, obviously he is doing it right.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a good basic strength training program (stronglifts 5x5 is my favorite), possibly with a little extra ab work added in, while eat at least at maintenance for a while, and possibly consider doing a small bulk in the future. Your muscles simple aren't big enough to show right now, and you'd probably have to get to an unhealthy bodyfat level to make them show at their current size.

There's also a genetic factor that determine how tight the ligaments (I think) are the separate the actual "cans" of the 6 pack. Some people can have decent size ab muscles, low body fat and yet still not have a full 6 pack and there's really nothing they can do about it.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Start here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

ETA: This lady knows what it takes to get nice abs. Her method isn't easy, but it works.
  • devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    New to fitnesspal so not too sure if I have posted in the correct message board.

I want my abs to pop. I like the defined look (the distinct definition) especially the "v" line.
    I weigh 8.8 stones, 24 inch waist, I work out 5 times per week.

I'm looking for the correct kind of advice and so I'll provide a little more info RE my daily routines. What am I doing wrong? Why am I not seeing results?!

I don't really engage in strength training. I constantly do cardio (I follow the insanity programme workouts mostly) I also use the machinery at gym such as the treadmill. I put the intensity all the way up and walk at a fast paste. The only weights I do is deadlifts.

I eat aprox around 1600 cals per day (excluding cals lost from excercise)
    I have protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat things like peanut butter, sunflower seeds, fish, seafood, chicken, prawns, protein shakes and crab meat. My carb intake is low but I do eat vegetables low in carbs. I also eat watermelon or pineapple prior to working out.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong? Can anybody recommend sources of foods, the amount of cals I should be eating, the amount of protein I should be getting in, and recomended excercises which focus on the abs?

Thank you in advance! The Help is appreciated!

Hi there! Everyone here is right! Having a low body fat percentage will definitely help them pop out. But if your abs aren't developed enough there is no point in getting down to that percentage. Having thick developed abs will help them pop. The trouble is doing heavy weighted ab training can increase your waist line. I would probably just stick to a basic ab training routine that will get them cut, as well as developed. P90X's ab training is a really good point to start since you are already into the whole at home work out thing. Good luck!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    you dont give your height, but your weight is fairly low, so it may be that even though your bodyfat is low you dont have enough muscle mass for your abs to 'pop'... a couple of bulk/cut cycles might help?

also, start strength training!

I agree with this. Only way to make them defined is a slow bulk or a couple bulk/cut cycles to add muscle. If you cut your bf right now, you'll look too skinny IMO. Good luck

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Do abs
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just do ab workouts on a decline bench (as opposed to flat on the floor), then add a 10lb weight on your chest, the next week 15...etc etc. abs are a muscle group, feed them in the kitchen, lift heavy for them to grow

^This is very good advice. You are fairly lean and if you get enough protein and start some weights, you'll get defined much more quickly than I will!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    New to fitnesspal so not too sure if I have posted in the correct message board.

I want my abs to pop. I like the defined look (the distinct definition) especially the "v" line.

I'm looking for the correct kind of advice and so I'll provide a little more info RE my daily routines. What am I doing wrong? Why am I not seeing results?!

I don't really engage in strength training. I constantly do cardio (I follow the insanity programme workouts mostly) I also use the machinery at gym such as the treadmill. I put the intensity all the way up and walk at a fast paste. The only weights I do is deadlifts.

I have protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat things like peanut butter, sunflower seeds, fish, seafood, chicken, prawns, protein shakes and crab meat. My carb intake is low but I do eat vegetables low in carbs. I also eat watermelon or pineapple prior to working out.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong? Can anybody recommend sources of foods, the amount of cals I should be eating, the amount of protein I should be getting in, and recomended excercises which focus on the abs?

Just to note, I do not want to become anywhere near bulky! I want to stay lean. I just want abs and that is all!

Hire a trainer and not an online one, someone needs to see you in person for all your questions and to evaluate you to see if what you want is even possible.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Just do ab workouts on a decline bench (as opposed to flat on the floor), then add a 10lb weight on your chest, the next week 15...etc etc. abs are a muscle group, feed them in the kitchen, lift heavy for them to grow

^This is very good advice. You are fairly lean and if you get enough protein and start some weights, you'll get defined much more quickly than I will!

Actually it's not good advice at all, suggesting deadlifts and squats for ab development would be also increasing in increments of 5lbs per week would be amazing if it were possible.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Just to note, I do not want to become anywhere near bulky! I want to stay lean. I just want abs and that is all!

Hire a trainer and not an online one, someone needs to see you in person for all your questions and to evaluate you to see if what you want is even possible.

Not really
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Unless you are the 0.01% of the female population that has extremely high levels of testosterone floating around in your bloodstream, don't worry about getting bulky from strength training.

The most fit and fabulous female bodies are built through strength training.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Funny topic because just past night my partner told me her new goal is to get at least the top 4 go be visible by the summer. I want to be as encouraging as possible but reality is a "b". Going to have to come up with a game plan.

Well, I'd post photos to illustrate the results of how I got mine, but I'm pretty sure it'll be removed by the mods and I'll get my 4th strike.
    You have 3 strikes? Wtf? For what?

You can start a new thread on the topic specifically and maybe some of the women can get some real advice on the topic. I would probably ask her if she's okay with me posting pictures of her to get feedback. She'd end up popping in after I post. She just hates using forums but she does pop up when I send her the specific link.

Honestly, still trying to figure that out. Unfortunately, I'm not very tech savvy and can't post a pic to save my life LOL

What did the moderator write when they gave you the warning or was it just people flagging you?

Looks like just flagged...one for spam, and twice for abuse. Funny, I reviewed the guidelines this morning and am not in violation of any of them.

you can get flagged by other members for anything, doesnt matter if its actually abusive/spam or whatever. people flag anything they just dont agree with.

Yeah, I'm noticing.

you can't get banned for three flags..I have like 72 …:) LOL

I think on the new system flags do not equal strikes and they are on a point system now...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

It's quite possible, depending on the coach, the client, and the goal, to accomplish a great deal in an online training environment.

It's probably not for everyone, but I don't see it as inferior to live training. It's different, but not inferior.
  • luijs
    luijs Posts: 2
    Options
    If you like your body and you just want to have your abs visible , follow a card in the gym dedicated to the muscle definition and reduce your caloric intake by 200 kcal .. 1-2-3 months and you will be the most of your potential ! ( Macros 40 carbs - 40 pro - 20 fat ) enjoy!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ...I don't even know what that's supposed to say.