Options
124»

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    rabbit-stew.jpg

I've never actually had rabbit stew before, just cooked on a skillet. I wanna try it.
  • the_maddog
    the_maddog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just eat it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    would assume the cat bite would be a bad thing
    How would it be different than a hunting dogs bite?
    Kalikel wrote: »
    My cat can catch and kill rabbits. And birds. She almost never gets out to demonstrate her prowess, but she's totally capable.

A few weeks back, the pool guys left the door open to the pool and I had no clue. When I got back from the store, I came into the kitchen and found a dead bird on the floor.

It is the thought that counts and I do appreciate her for trying to help me out and contributing to the household food supply, but it's just so dismaying and unnerving to find a feathered corpse in the kitchen when you weren't expecting it.

I throw her kills in the trash.

I suppose you could eat the bunny if you wanted to skin and butcher it. If you do, let us know how it goes.

I lived in the 3rd floor of an apartment complex and often left the patio doors open for the cats to sit outside. And I have no idea how but my old cat - who used to be very indoor - out door and hunted frequently... managed to catch a sizable bird out there.... And that patio was just big enough for two lawn chairs... Not talking about large space to run around. Needless to say I was deeply impressed and completely shocked.

• HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No, just NO
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Even that article mentions it's not prevalent in rabbits. Nice try.

Rabbit is delicious. Having said that as others pointed out check with the game warden or online to see if there are any diseases in the area. If the kill was from a bite and not a broken neck then I would cut that area out. With wild game you have to make sure it is definitely cooked to an appropriate temperature.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Even that article mentions it's not prevalent in rabbits. Nice try.

Rabbit is delicious. Having said that as others pointed out check with the game warden or online to see if there are any diseases in the area. If the kill was from a bite and not a broken neck then I would cut that area out. With wild game you have to make sure it is definitely cooked to an appropriate temperature.

I don't know why you had to say "nice try" to me. That makes no sense. And if you read my post only a few down from there, I said there is nothing wrong with it, assuming you are OK with the modest tularemia risk.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When I was a kid if we ran over one on our way home and it was not crushed end to end we often dressed it and had it for breakfast. Rabbit tenderloin is AWESOME protein.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    A domestic cat is quite capable of taking down a rabbit. Feline predation is about stealth, not flat speed - even cheetahs need to get close, as they can only sustain top speed for a short time.

No argument there.

But the animals caught still tend to be either old, sick, or stupid (and generally young). Just because the cat will instinctively target the weakest and therefore most easily caught animal. It's late enough in the year that the young and stupid ones should have been weeded out by now, unless the bunnies are still breeding in OP's region - they've stopped here.

That leaves a higher probability of old and/or sick.

If they were attacking gazelle or antelopes I would agree, because that's a flat out chase against a cluster of grazers once the initial sneaking up bit has been done. Rabbits don't tend to cluster like gazelles or antelopes though, so it's less of an issue.

Interestingly, it's hypothesised (and I agree) that antelopes evolved to outrun each other, not lions.

First off, I'd like to say... I love that rabbit stew picture.

If I were ok with the cost of the tax stamp, I'd get a can for my rifle.

Now, regarding antelopes outrunning each other... want to know the most effective bear protection for paired or group hunters in the US/Canada/Alaska... particularly in grizzly country?

A small, easily concealed .22lr pistol. When that bear starts charging, and everyone starts running... you shoot someone in the leg. Make it the person you like the least.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I suppose you could eat the bunny if you wanted to skin and butcher it. If you do, let us know how it goes.

If we ignore the details (which are kinda important) there isn't a huge difference between hunt via cat, and hunt via cormorant or hunt via falcon/hawk/eagle.
    I'm not philosophically opposed to hunting, whether it's done by people, cats or birds whose names I have to google to find out what they are...but I'm not skinning, plucking or butchering anything.

I do my hunting in the "skinless, boneless" section at Publix.
  • dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options

If we ignore the details (which are kinda important) there isn't a huge difference between hunt via cat, and hunt via cormorant or hunt via falcon/hawk/eagle.
    I'm not philosophically opposed to hunting, whether it's done by people, cats or birds whose names I have to google to find out what they are...but I'm not skinning, plucking or butchering anything.

hahahaha, that's much easier.

When I started duck hunting, I was a pissed puppy. I didn't know how long it would take to fully pluck one out, and of course it was wet. I didn't have any knowledge or the proper set up. My work area was horrible. Next hunt was better, but have you ever sat down a week after a pillow fight and spit out a little bit of down?

lol.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    A domestic cat is quite capable of taking down a rabbit. Feline predation is about stealth, not flat speed - even cheetahs need to get close, as they can only sustain top speed for a short time.

No argument there.

But the animals caught still tend to be either old, sick, or stupid (and generally young). Just because the cat will instinctively target the weakest and therefore most easily caught animal. It's late enough in the year that the young and stupid ones should have been weeded out by now, unless the bunnies are still breeding in OP's region - they've stopped here.

If they were attacking gazelle or antelopes I would agree, because that's a flat out chase against a cluster of grazers once the initial sneaking up bit has been done. Rabbits don't tend to cluster like gazelles or antelopes though, so it's less of an issue.

Interestingly, it's hypothesised (and I agree) that antelopes evolved to outrun each other, not lions.

Depends where OP lives. Out in the country, sure - they tend to spread out. In the suburbs where I spend my weekends? Let's just say that when I run in the morning, I'll see clusters of up to ten rabbits in one front yard - and we're talking 1/4-1/3 acre lots.

And yes, the cats around here have an absolute field day trying to chase them down. They usually get to within about 8-10 feet before one of the rabbits detects them, and the lot of them are off. They're fast enough, and their warrens are close enough that the cat rarely succeeds.
  • dbmata
    Options

No argument there.

Depends where OP lives. Out in the country, sure - they tend to spread out. In the suburbs where I spend my weekends? Let's just say that when I run in the morning, I'll see clusters of up to ten rabbits in one front yard - and we're talking 1/4-1/3 acre lots.

And yes, the cats around here have an absolute field day trying to chase them down. They usually get to within about 8-10 feet before one of the rabbits detects them, and the lot of them are off. They're fast enough, and their warrens are close enough that the cat rarely succeeds.

Back when I lived in MA, you could see herds of little peters hanging around in people's yards *just* outside of huntable areas.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I would have to be pretty hard up before I would think about munching a rabbit.

Why?

leaving aside the cat catching it part - why wouldnt it be ok to eat rabbit? how is it different from eating lamb, chicken etc?

Rabbits are very low in fat.

• CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options

When I started duck hunting, I was a pissed puppy. I didn't know how long it would take to fully pluck one out, and of course it was wet. I didn't have any knowledge or the proper set up. My work area was horrible. Next hunt was better, but have you ever sat down a week after a pillow fight and spit out a little bit of down?

lol.

There's a trick to getting the feathers out but i wasn't the one to dress birds in my family. You can dip them in boiling water and then the feathers just scrape off. You would have to look up the exact details.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No, wild rabbits can carry a wide variety of diseases that may or may not be transferrable to humans and you don't know exactly how long ago your cat killed it (who knows how long it sat around before dragging it home?). If you want to eat rabbits, you want to stick with the farm raised ones or hunt your own.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Katie, since wild rabbits carry a wide variety of diseases, are you suggesting one *gasp* hunts a wild one?! Why not hunt one on a farm?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

lol.
    Ew, ew and ew.

My mother's cookbook actually had a section detailing how to pluck feathers. That was still included in the late 60s or early 70s. To the best of my knowledge, she never plucked anything, either.

It's a skill I'll admire from afar. :)

• CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    So i asked my mother about this one. She was not at all surprised that i would ask something like this.... I don't know if that's cuz im strange or because it seems like a valid question where i live.

Her reply was that any bacteria the cat may be carrying would not have the opportunity to run through the bunnies bloodstream and would be located at the bite area. If in doubt, cut it out (or throw it out). Her only real concern would be if any organs were punctured or ruptured during the kill. You don't eat anything when the organs are leaking...
  • dbmata
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    So i asked my mother about this one. She was not at all surprised that i would ask something like this.... I don't know if that's cuz im strange or because it seems like a valid question where i live.

Her reply was that any bacteria the cat may be carrying would not have the opportunity to run through the bunnies bloodstream and would be located at the bite area. If in doubt, cut it out (or throw it out). Her only real concern would be if any organs were punctured or ruptured during the kill. You don't eat anything when the organs are leaking...

Depends on which organs.

A leaking heart or brain is generally what I find in my kills. Sometimes a leaky lung. I'd be a bit more concerned if it was from further south, I wouldn't toss the front half though.
  • dbmata
    Options

lol.
    Ew, ew and ew.

My mother's cookbook actually had a section detailing how to pluck feathers. That was still included in the late 60s or early 70s. To the best of my knowledge, she never plucked anything, either.

It's a skill I'll admire from afar. :)

It's definitely lost skills, and I'm sad for that. A little parafin and hot water makes the process easy though. ;)