Forgiving Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years

Options
I suggest that "My Fitness Pal" declare there will be no updates of food logs for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years!! I mean lock it down, then come back the next day with quotes like "now it's time to pay", "do you know you ate a weeks worth of food yesterday ?", "yesterday is going to kick your *kitten* at the gym today", "you can forget logging for the next week or two". I I tried to log my food for today and the web site almost shut down. B)

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    how does that motivate a person?
  • SpamLamb
    SpamLamb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea. All I know is that I considered tracking today and I couldn't even keep a straight face. I'm also feeling sick from the excess. Guess I learned something. Now it's time to get back on track and eat like a sensible person. And working really hard not to feel guilty. I always say that it isn't our feasts that make us fat but that we eat every day like it's a feast.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Well, not everyone on MFP celebrates all three holidays, so how would that work for them?

In the long run, one day is not going to derail you completely. Just get back to work when it's over.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It is difficult though. I tried to both eat mindfully today while not obsessing. I'm so in the habit of logging now but found that I couldn't even guess the quantities or ingredients of food so I just Quick Added 1400 calories. I'm over it and moving on but when you get used to logging correctly (or mostly), it is kind of weird to eat without having any idea of portion amount or number of calories!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    When I was logging, I loved logging the feasts.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Well, not everyone on MFP celebrates all three holidays, so how would that work for them?

This. Not everyone on this site is American. Or, y'know, Christian.
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    SpamLamb wrote: »
    I'm also feeling sick from the excess. Guess I learned something. Now it's time to get back on track and eat like a sensible person. And working really hard not to feel guilty. I always say that it isn't our feasts that make us fat but that we eat every day like it's a feast.
    I ate pretty well at dinner, pretty sensible and stuff but when it came to dessert I totally let go and now I feel so sick and guilty. I'm glad I'm not the only one. At least I ran a 5k today haha. Can't wait to get back to the grind tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed your holiday! Next feast will be saved for Christmas for sure
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As an Australian, I'd be a little put out if I couldn't log on a random day in November!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP - please clarify your original post as it is nonsensical ...
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I ate less potatoes this year then I have ever eaten. That's all I can say.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    NikonPal wrote: »

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...

You don't have to overeat to enjoy a holiday, also Thanksgiving food is very "meh" in my opinion, so fortunately it's never been much of a problem for me.
  • 2bizzybee
    2bizzybee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like having the accountability. It gives me motivation to stay on track.
    It is tempting to want to go overboard for holidays.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I hope you were joking OP.

Because this would totally not work for everyone - as Alaterial said, many people in many places ((indeed, everywhere except USA?) just has your thanksgiving day as a random ordinary working day and of course wants to log as usual.

And not everyone celebrates Christmas or New year either - on the other hand other people celebrate other days - perhaps the whole world should stop logging on Jan 26th too ?? ;)
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah cuz that's a great idea, especially for those on this site trying to recover from eating disorders..
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    As an Australian, I'd be a little put out if I couldn't log on a random day in November!

Same. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in England.

By all means, don't log on those days, no-one is forcing you to!

Not everyone stuffs their face for like 2 weeks over Xmas either.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I forgive you my children.