Forgiving Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years

Options

Replies

• YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Flogging!!! I do not care how ridiculously far over my cals I go on a rare holiday...

I've sinned, I liked it, and I am definitely going to do it again and again ;)

I know that I know that I know that I can and will maintain my healthy habits after the splurge... I also have enough of a grasp of the math to know that at worst it might add 1 or 2 weeks to the time it will take me to reach my goal, so what?

On the other hand, if you aren't that confident yet, have an eating disorder, or if that 1 or 2 weeks is really important to you then by all means stick to it on holidays and such.
  • dale530
    Options
    2bizzybee wrote: »
    I like having the accountability. It gives me motivation to stay on track.
    It is tempting to want to go overboard for holidays.

Same here!!

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    not everyone goes crazy on thanksgiving. i don't want mfp scolding me for something i didn't do.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are lots of Americans that do not do Thanksgiving -- hubby and I had a quiet day at home. For us, it was Thursday.
    And forget about Christmas.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    There are lots of Americans that do not do Thanksgiving -- hubby and I had a quiet day at home. For us, it was Thursday.

Why would you choose to not celebrate Thanksgiving?
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Why would you choose to not celebrate Thanksgiving?

Apart that it celebrates the taking of land from the natives and forcing them onto reservations?

Or the fact that some people just can't afford it?

Or that some people simply don't want to?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I used to live on a reservation when I was younger.

Thanksgiving was NOT observed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I pre-logged my food for the day. I found it helpful because I had a plan. I didn't suffer any anxiety or guilt over my choices. I actually went back and deleted food I didn't end up eating because I was full.
    The food diary is a tool. If you don't want to log on holidays then don't.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...

You don't have to overeat to enjoy a holiday, also Thanksgiving food is very "meh" in my opinion, so fortunately it's never been much of a problem for me.
    It's not about over eating. It's about not eliminating everything that you love and bringing sprays to dinner. That's just excessively restrictive.

Respectfully, I disagree. There is a thread on here having a contest to see how many calories they can eat on Thanksgiving. My friends and family are the same way, just until you can't move and have to take a nap. How is that not overeating?

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What's to forgive? I don't have any holiday hang-ups or weird emotional relationships with food, so this idea doesn't make sense for me. Plus, not everybody celebrates the same food holidays.

I think OP is joking...right? ;)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...

You don't have to overeat to enjoy a holiday, also Thanksgiving food is very "meh" in my opinion, so fortunately it's never been much of a problem for me.
    It's not about over eating. It's about not eliminating everything that you love and bringing sprays to dinner. That's just excessively restrictive.

Respectfully, I disagree. There is a thread on here having a contest to see how many calories they can eat on Thanksgiving. My friends and family are the same way, just until you can't move and have to take a nap. How is that not overeating?

The thread to reach 6000 calories is for fun, I would have eaten that much thread or not, because I was eating everything I wanted. It also shows people that you don't have to be afraid of one day. It was fun to log.

Shutting MFP down on holidays is just well stupid... but even worse is having MFP scold me because I ate everything.

1. I didn't do anything wrong so why scold me.
    2. It's my job to decide for myself what I want or do not want to eat

It was close enough when I logged my food and MFP said if I ate like this every day in 5 weeks I would gain 40 lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whats the deal with New Year? Its no different to any other weekend when i might have a meal out and a few drinks...?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    whats the deal with New Year? Its no different to any other weekend when i might have a meal out and a few drinks...?

New Years for us is generally a platter of fresh seafood and a couple bottles of bubbles - probably less calories than a regular dinner! :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

New Years for us is generally a platter of fresh seafood and a couple bottles of bubbles - probably less calories than a regular dinner! :)

I usually sleep through most of New Years it's probably one of my lowest calorie days
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I was wondering that. Pre kids I would've had a few drinks NYE, but now I might have one lol. We sometimes go to a party on New years day as it's my husband's aunt's birthday, but if it weren't for that it would be a normal day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Boxing Day is a big one for us, Christmas Day is for family, then boxing day we always have friends over for a huge over the top BBQ brunch which generally ends up bleeding into a beach BBQ then a Christmas leftover dinner....
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Yup. That thread does exist. And I was one of the participants. Why, because I love food. Because I was once obese and am not fit and have learned self control. Losing self control isn't one deciding to play a game and see if they can eat 6000 calories. Losing self control is eating a lot on thanksgiving then the next day, next week, next month then getting fat again.

And I was more than able to move. Sounds like you a just not mentally strong enough to do whatever er you want. And the fact that you brought your friends and family into thus conversation is pathetic. I'm not understanding this whole holier than everyone else attitude people have around here when it comes to their loved one. You, have ended up here on MFP, chance are you're not perfect. You also weren't sharp enough to understand what the 6000 calorie thread was about so I'm not wasting my time typing back and forth with you.

OK man, calm down. I have never been obese like you so maybe I don't understand the desire to stuff my face like a glutton.