• RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    good, in moderation like everything else
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    be sure and get the organic extra virgin coconut oil.... Nutiva is good... dont buy the cheap crap at Walmart...louanna.... its 2 complete different things... tastes different and smells different.... my opinion!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    so good
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    good in moderation
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Good ... Dr. Bronners is a good brand and it is fair trade organic. Coconut oil is great for the skin and if I have a little heartburn, I take a spoonful and it soothes the burn and helps it go away.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It's good. I don't eat it though, lol, but I know many people do. I use it on my skin and hair. I've found it does wonders for my skin...heals scars quicker among other things. But make sure to try it on a small spot of your skin a few times before you do this as everyone reacts to it differently. Also, make sure to get the organic, cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil. I use Spectrum brand usually. Amazing stuff.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    gerbax wrote: »
    So is it good for me or bad?

What have you heard about coconut oil?
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Very good. My husband grew up with this being the only oil they used for cooking (they made it themselves.) Organic and extra virgin is our go-to oil.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Very good. Great on toast and for cooking. I use it quite often in my soaps!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    be sure and get the organic extra virgin coconut oil.... Nutiva is good... dont buy the cheap crap at Walmart...louanna.... its 2 complete different things... tastes different and smells different.... my opinion!
    Just thought I'd mention that it's referred to as virgin coconut oil and not extra virgin....no extra points being a virgin coconut.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You will never know until you try it. I am with those above on the subject.

However one day when I first got heavy into coconut without adding a little more each day for a few weeks I googled "death from coconut oil". I felt like I had the flu and it was like August.

I learned about the Herxheimer effect that comes from the kill off of bad bacteria, viruses, yeast and parasites in the gut. My life long IBS went away and my arthritis pain dropped from a 7-8+ down to a 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. Not much weight has been lost yet but a lot of fat has been replaced with muscle.

Heavy use of coconut oil for the past four months has given me new hope in life. Well I totally ditched Sugar laced foods and artificial sweeteners as well two months ago so it is not just the coconut oil. I doubt if I could have ditched the sugar had it not be for the coconut oil healing my inside and cutting joint pain.
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's amazing!! Get the natural extra virgin one. I get it from Cosway. I consume it - use it in cooking sometimes, I apply it as a leave in conditioner for my hair, and use it as a moisturiser for my skin - great for dry skin!