10 lbs by Christmas

Options
2»

Replies

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm losing at about 2lbs/week so I might be at 8 pounds by then.

Ketogenic diets are high-fat, low carb.

Ketogenic diets (like Atkins) can be high in fat, high in protein, or both. Ketogenic diets can help with some neurologic conditions. By limiting the amount of carbohydrates (to as low as 20 - 50 grams a day), the dieter forces her body to burn fat for energy instead of glucose. Using fat for energy produces ketones, which will appear in the dieters pee. You can buy diastiks at a pharmacy, which will tell you if you have ketones in your pee. Ketones make you less hungry, so some dieters find that they can lose weight without tracking their food intake, or only tracking their carbs (same idea as Weight Watchers points, having to only add up to 30 points, or 50 carbs is easier than adding 1300 calories).

It is important to eat enough protein on a keto diet (or any diet except for kidney disease). Otherwise your body will start to "eat" your muscles, leading to a slower metabolism. Also keep in mind that you have some important body parts made of muscle, like your heart.

You can get ketones without limiting carbohydrates. Ketones are produced after exercise, after an illness, during starvation, and overnight. I'm producing a lot of ketones, despite eating more than 138g of carbs a day. I lost 4 pounds in two days when I went into ketosis. It was water weight (you may find you visit the bathroom a lot during ketosis), but it stayed off. My weight loss since hasn't been much different from before I went into ketosis.

One of the challenges with keto is keeping it up. If you like the feeling of being skinny better than you like the taste of cake (or other carb-heavy food), then you won't have a problem. If not, you, and many people who try keto, will go back to how you ate before, and, if you do not eat at maintenance, will gain the weight back. If you try keto, there is a lot of helpful information on the internet.

Exercise can help too. I'm on day 11 of the 30 day shred (over 14 days) and I've lost 7 pounds and 3 inches from my waist. I'm obese, and have a lot to lose, however. The videos are on Youtube.

Good work so far, and good luck with your weight loss. Whatever your weight at Christmas, you are giving yourself an amazing gift by investing in your health. :)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    And one more thing - you may want to change your macros if you go keto. MFP doesn't like to go under 120g of carbohydrate, because that's about how much your brain uses in glucose a day. But don't worry. Your brain/body can adjust to getting about 70 grams of that from lactate (with intense exercise), ketones, pyruvate, and glycerol. :)
  • jenniferryanne
    jenniferryanne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Can I join this? I would love to lose 10 pounds by Christmas. Right now I am losing about 2 pounds per week and working out about 5 times a week for about 30 minutes each, alternating between cardio and strength training.

Good luck everyone!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I'm in! I'm losing at about 2lbs/week so I might be at 8 pounds by then.

Ketogenic diets are high-fat, low carb.

Ketogenic diets (like Atkins) can be high in fat, high in protein, or both. Ketogenic diets can help with some neurologic conditions. By limiting the amount of carbohydrates (to as low as 20 - 50 grams a day), the dieter forces her body to burn fat for energy instead of glucose. Using fat for energy produces ketones, which will appear in the dieters pee. You can buy diastiks at a pharmacy, which will tell you if you have ketones in your pee. Ketones make you less hungry, so some dieters find that they can lose weight without tracking their food intake, or only tracking their carbs (same idea as Weight Watchers points, having to only add up to 30 points, or 50 carbs is easier than adding 1300 calories).

It is important to eat enough protein on a keto diet (or any diet except for kidney disease). Otherwise your body will start to "eat" your muscles, leading to a slower metabolism. Also keep in mind that you have some important body parts made of muscle, like your heart.

You can get ketones without limiting carbohydrates. Ketones are produced after exercise, after an illness, during starvation, and overnight. I'm producing a lot of ketones, despite eating more than 138g of carbs a day. I lost 4 pounds in two days when I went into ketosis. It was water weight (you may find you visit the bathroom a lot during ketosis), but it stayed off. My weight loss since hasn't been much different from before I went into ketosis.

One of the challenges with keto is keeping it up. If you like the feeling of being skinny better than you like the taste of cake (or other carb-heavy food), then you won't have a problem. If not, you, and many people who try keto, will go back to how you ate before, and, if you do not eat at maintenance, will gain the weight back. If you try keto, there is a lot of helpful information on the internet.

Exercise can help too. I'm on day 11 of the 30 day shred (over 14 days) and I've lost 7 pounds and 3 inches from my waist. I'm obese, and have a lot to lose, however. The videos are on Youtube.

Good work so far, and good luck with your weight loss. Whatever your weight at Christmas, you are giving yourself an amazing gift by investing in your health. :)

Oh, thanks for putting it better than I could! Good luck with your weight loss.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    That's my goal also..I wanted to lose 15 by christmas (I'm down 5 so far) I'll join in as well :smile:
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    TQ for the information on ketosis!!! Never knew that! I'm in for 10lbs by Christmas :)
  • Suzettedl
    Suzettedl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would like to join!
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying the keto diet, I looked it up and it seems OK, I'm not sure about eating that much fat but I'll keep track on MFP and see if I can keep in my calorie range. Marcros will not be the same but I'll switch them over to what it says on the keto website. Any ideas on sites for more info?
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    Weigh -in day Down 1 lb!!
  • kohara77
    Options
    I would like to join the challenge as well! I need some accountability. Do we just check in with each other on this thread?
  • BonnieDoneGood
    BonnieDoneGood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in the next 25 days will be a real challenge especially if slow and steady has been the mantra so far, like it has been with me. But I need to re-kick start because I have hit a plateau after losing 20, so count me in, too.
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    i hope i can lose 10lbs by end of Dec! but considering X'mas and New Year celebration, it could be a challenge! anyway, good luck to us! *fingers crossed* o:)
  • PaulaVintila
    PaulaVintila Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ha, that's exactly my goal at the moment,10 lbs till Christmas! Can I join as well?
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    Thats what I'm doing, I'm actually down 3 lbs now...