Should wheat be avoided, even if you're not intolerant?

Options
I try to eat a balanced diet, with good amounts of carbs, fat and protein and lots of veggies and fruit!
At each meal I base it on a carb, and I do sometimes have rice, or potatoes but I can't help but notice that on average I eat a lot of wheat!

eg. Breakfast : weetabix
Lunch : two slices of bread for a sandwich
Dinner: Pasta or noodles etc

Im not allergic to it, but I still see some information now and then about how everyone should just avoid it as it is such an "unhealthy" boogie monster of the grain world!

I'm unsure as to how true this is? Is wheat something that should be avoided?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    tumsbums wrote: »
    I try to eat a balanced diet, with good amounts of carbs, fat and protein and lots of veggies and fruit!
    At each meal I base it on a carb, and I do sometimes have rice, or potatoes but I can't help but notice that on average I eat a lot of wheat!

Im not allergic to it, but I still see some information now and then about how everyone should just avoid it as it is such an "unhealthy" boogie monster of the grain world!

What kind of silliness is this, why would you avoid it? Because you saw some "information" saying it's bad? Perhaps look into the veracity of such claims
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you do not have any sensitivity to it then no it shouldn't be avoided!

It offers very little in return for the calorie cost so if you are looking to strip back calories to get into a deficit, I personally would put it near the top of the list for things to cut to reduce calorie intake!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    tumsbums wrote: »

No, unless you want to for your own personal reasons.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you eat wheat, you will die.

Seriously. It will kill you slowly. Every day your health will become worse and worse in aggregate, until you expire.

Do you really want to die?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It depends on YOU. Only you can decide if it fits into your lifestyle and if you can successfully lose and then (more importantly maintain!) while eating lots of starches.

That said, I would never recommend "basing meals around starch". Most of the refined stuff (everything you named) isn't very nutritious calorie wise (yes, other than filling in a magical macro number), so you don't "need it". But if you enjoy it, and you can lose AND MAINTAIN while eating some, then so be it. But I wouldn't base my meals around it regularly. Lunch, in a pinch, maybe, but it would be 100% whole grain.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Seriously. It will kill you slowly. Every day your health will become worse and worse in aggregate, until you expire.

This is kind of true of life in general. All people's health worsens. All people die.

Wouldn't attribute that to wheat though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

This is kind of true of life in general. All people's health worsens. All people die.

Wouldn't attribute that to wheat though.

Nor would he. He's just trolling.
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes

Strong support for your stance. Just because you cannot tolerate it, or do not like it does not mean others need to avoid it as well.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes

No.
    I lost all my weight and improved all blood markers and BP eating all kinds of delicious, nutritious wheat. Even, gasp, white bread.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You don't have to avoid it... But if you feel you are eating too much of it and your diet is unbalanced, then maybe swap a meal or two out with some other type of starch?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Yes

Strong support for your stance

You as well.

I like wheat, so you need to eat wheat too.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    ^ See what I did there?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ^ See what I did there?

No I was too busy mirin
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    You don't have to avoid it... But if you feel you are eating too much of it and your diet is unbalanced, then maybe swap a meal or two out with some other type of starch?

Or not a starch at all.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any sort of intolerance/allergy to wheat you do not need to avoid it. If anyone tells you otherwise ask them to present evidence for the claim that wheat is harmful.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - wheat is not going to kill you ….so you can eat it and lose weight…what is not the devil….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yes

you going to clarify that, or just dive bomb the thread with no legitimate reason to support your "claims"….
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    ^ See what I did there?

No I was too busy mirin

mam, can we please take this to a PM?
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    NO!

I'm gluten intolerant and I have to avoid it if I don't want the repercussions, but seriously, if you're looking for health than eat a well balanced diet and you'll be fine. Wheat is part of that balance.