Forever Fat

Options
fnub
fnub Posts: 34 Member
I started using this app on the 13th of November because I am morbidly obese (312lb's). I opened the app and entered my weight and other stats. I'm assuming that the app decides what my caloric intake should be for the day if I want to lose 2lb's/week.

My caloric intake was set up by the app @ 1720 calories. For the past 15 days straight I have eaten well under my allowable caloric intake. Plus I've gone to the gym every day. Unfortunately I can't lift weights because I have severe tendonitis in both forearms. So I rock the cross-trainer for 30 minutes at level 13. I average about 470 calories burned on the cross-trainer.

It's been 15 days in a row of extreme discipline and I haven't dropped a single ounce of weight and already I feel like giving up. Is it possible to lose inches and not lose weight? I've heard people say that, but it doesn't make sense. How can you lose inches without the weight coming off? I'll admit that I'm not measuring my waste and hips etc etc. But it seems pointless. If you're losing weight, your clothes will be loser on you as you lose weight (fat).

I was SO depressed this morning after weighing in that when I went to the gym and saw someone else on my machine, I just turned away and came home, feeling extremely un-motivated and angered. I feel like guzzling bacon grease...

I thought this app would help me shed the pounds. After following it's suggestions and seeing zero results, I'm not so sure.

Raging inside...

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    fnub wrote: »

My caloric intake was set up by the app @ 1720 calories. For the past 15 days straight I have eaten well under my allowable caloric intake. Plus I've gone to the gym every day. Unfortunately I can't lift weights because I have severe tendonitis in both forearms. So I rock the cross-trainer for 30 minutes at level 13. I average about 470 calories burned on the cross-trainer.

Alright, did it take you 15 days to become morbidly obese? Probably not - it's taken me 2 years to drop and keep 70lbs off. I started at 320lbs and still have another 80ish to go. Therefore, it's going to take a heck of a lot longer to get to your goals than 15 days.

Further, are you weighing everything you eat? If you aren't weighing/measuring everything accurately chances are you're eating much more than you think you are. And how do you know you're burning 470 calories in 30 minutes on a cross trainer? I do spin and I only burn about 500 calories/hour on that. If you're using the machine and/or MFP for your calorie burn both can grossly over estimate what you burn.

I'd say it's more than likely a combination of you're eating more and burning less than you think.
  • wherezsue
    wherezsue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there...

yes, it can be frustrating. Couple of comments... how do you feel in your body now? Have you noticed any other changes?

The weight on the scale is a very poor indication of change... how you feel, how your clothes fit, etc are more indicative of change.
    Muscle is more dense than fat, so takes up less 'room' - so if you have gained muscle and lost fat, the scales will say the same thing. But, muscle burns more calories than fat. So muscle is good.

Also - it takes time for your body to adjust to the new lifestyle... 15 days is too soon to be measuring yourself... wait at least a month - if not more.

Measuring your waist with a tape measure reveals more accurate change than the scale - throw the scale away and keep doing the right thing, change will come.

Finally - did you put all the weight on in only 15 days? Give it time... persistence will create results.

Good luck.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    wherezsue wrote: »
    Muscle is more dense than fat, so takes up less 'room' - so if you have gained muscle and lost fat, the scales will say the same thing. But, muscle burns more calories than fat. So muscle is good.

Yes muscle is more dense so you can get the same amount of muscle (in weight) into a more compact space than fat but he probably didn't gain any noticeable amount of muscle in just 15 days to account for not dropping any pounds. The kind of gain requires a lot of time and a lot of lifting and he has pointed out he is only doing cardio and can't lift right now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For starters, don't eat WELL UNDER what it tells you. Eat what it tells you. Even the exercise calories. So 1720 PLUS 400.
    If you're going to use the app as intended, then use it as intended.
    Think of it this way: it's a goal number. Do you generally intentionally undershoot goals?

Or do the TDEE/BMR method, and eat THOSE calories AS INTENDED.

Before you give up, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck!
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I had a look through your diary and you seem to be over on the sodium and carbs quite a few times. These will retain water (=more weight) if you're not staying hydrated. Try drinking around 3 L (100 US fl oz) water each day.
  • fnub
    Options
    For starters, don't eat WELL UNDER what it tells you. Eat what it tells you. Even the exercise calories. So 1720 PLUS 400.
    Think of it this way: it's a goal number. Do you generally intentionally undershoot goals?

Before you give up, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck!

Why would you want to eat those exercise calories? How is that going to help me lose weight? I thought this was a basic principle of calories in/calories out.
  • fnub
    Options
    JoKessho wrote: »
    Are you drinking enough water? I had a look through your diary and you seem to be over on the sodium and carbs quite a few times. These will retain water (=more weight) if you're not staying hydrated. Try drinking around 3 L (100 US fl oz) water each day.

For a while now we've had problems with our drinking water. We just rectified that so my intake should drastically increase.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Why would you want to eat those exercise calories? How is that going to help me lose weight? I thought this was a basic principle of calories in/calories out.
    It is.
    Read the link.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You say you're logging, but it doesn't look like you're actually weighing your food. Before you rage, try getting a food scale (~$15), and WEIGH everything. Measurements like "1/4 of a bell pepper" really don't mean much - along with "Homemade chicken soup - 1 serving".

Also, if MFP gives you 1720, your goal is to get as close to that as possible. Being under by a lot won't do you any favors (IMO).

I also never use machine or MFP estimates for my calorie burn. If I workout, I cut the time I worked out in half. I'd rather underestimate exercise than over estimate.

If you're going to get upset over 2 weeks with no change, this is going to be a very, very long journey for you.
  • fnub
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

Alright, did it take you 15 days to become morbidly obese? Probably not - it's taken me 2 years to drop and keep 70lbs off. I started at 320lbs and still have another 80ish to go. Therefore, it's going to take a heck of a lot longer to get to your goals than 15 days.

Further, are you weighing everything you eat? If you aren't weighing/measuring everything accurately chances are you're eating much more than you think you are. And how do you know you're burning 470 calories in 30 minutes on a cross trainer? I do spin and I only burn about 500 calories/hour on that. If you're using the machine and/or MFP for your calorie burn both can grossly over estimate what you burn.

I'd say it's more than likely a combination of you're eating more and burning less than you think.

Yes, I measure everything.

All I was expecting was the weight loss of 1 or 2lb's per week as the app suggests.

About 9 10 years ago I lost over 85lb's and kept it off for 2 years. This was done using a lo-carb method and the pounds melted away. For now I'm going to ignore the scales, keep doing what I'm doing, eventually increase the amount of exercise that I do and the amount of water that I drink.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Can you still strength train legs? Squatting doesn't really require forearms except for putting the weights on the barbell, which you could get help for.

You also may be eating more than you think.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the very wise decision to get control of your weight now, while you're young. The older you are, the more difficult it can be.

It might help to know that your weight is made up of more than just fat. I know it's obvious when I say it that way, but when you get into the details, it really matters. Your total weight is made up of your bones, muscles, fat, organs, AND whatever food is in your system digesting AND water. Lots and lots of water.

The reason it's important to know that is because it can really feel discouraging when you know you're doing everything right and the scale doesn't budge. But there's lots of reasons why it's not budging, and the most likely culprit is water.

Your body will retain varying amounts of water for lots of different reasons.

For example, monthly hormonal fluctuations. This is more pronounced in menstruating women, but it does still apply to men. You have hormones too, and they also fluctuate...they're just not the same hormones.

Another reason you might retain water is the composition of your food. A sodium-heavy meal can cause your body to retain more water. Some specific macro and micronutrients can influence the amount of water your body needs to retain.

And the biggest reason that people new to getting fitter might retain water is simply the act of getting fit. When you change or increase your activity level, your body will retain water in order to facilitate muscle repair. You might not be lifting weights, but I bet you're still giving your legs a pretty good workout on that machine, right? So your muscles will hang on to some water to help out with repair.

You asked about losing inches without losing weight...absolutely! That's why it's better to not rely only on the scale to view your progress. Get a nice, flexible tape measure from a craft store. Also, if you have a trusted friend or loved one who you can ask for help, have photos taken about every 4 weeks, wearing something which will reveal your shape (underwear, tight or short shorts, whatever you're comfortable with), from the front, back and side, arms down and arms flexed. When you compare these photos side by side, you'll see differences that your scale will never be able to tell you about.

Good luck!
  • fnub
    Options
    Measurements like "1/4 of a bell pepper" really don't mean much - along with "Homemade chicken soup - 1 serving".

MFP seems to know how many calories are in a bell pepper. I think MFP can do the math. Also the home-made chicken soup is made up of measured ingredients and created into a meal so I know exactly what's in the soup. Make sense?

• fnub
    Options
    Congratulations on making the very wise decision to get control of your weight now, while you're young. The older you are, the more difficult it can be.

It might help to know that your weight is made up of more than just fat. I know it's obvious when I say it that way, but when you get into the details, it really matters. Your total weight is made up of your bones, muscles, fat, organs, AND whatever food is in your system digesting AND water. Lots and lots of water.

The reason it's important to know that is because it can really feel discouraging when you know you're doing everything right and the scale doesn't budge. But there's lots of reasons why it's not budging, and the most likely culprit is water.

Your body will retain varying amounts of water for lots of different reasons.

For example, monthly hormonal fluctuations. This is more pronounced in menstruating women, but it does still apply to men. You have hormones too, and they also fluctuate...they're just not the same hormones.

Another reason you might retain water is the composition of your food. A sodium-heavy meal can cause your body to retain more water. Some specific macro and micronutrients can influence the amount of water your body needs to retain.

And the biggest reason that people new to getting fitter might retain water is simply the act of getting fit. When you change or increase your activity level, your body will retain water in order to facilitate muscle repair. You might not be lifting weights, but I bet you're still giving your legs a pretty good workout on that machine, right? So your muscles will hang on to some water to help out with repair.

You asked about losing inches without losing weight...absolutely! That's why it's better to not rely only on the scale to view your progress. Get a nice, flexible tape measure from a craft store. Also, if you have a trusted friend or loved one who you can ask for help, have photos taken about every 4 weeks, wearing something which will reveal your shape (underwear, tight or short shorts, whatever you're comfortable with), from the front, back and side, arms down and arms flexed. When you compare these photos side by side, you'll see differences that your scale will never be able to tell you about.

Good luck!

Makes sense.
    Thank you.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    It does seem odd that you haven't dropped any weight, especially with your workouts. However, there were lots of great comments /suggestions made, so don't despair! It will come off. Get that water in! I swear that is the secret. :wink:
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

Yes, I measure everything.

All I was expecting was the weight loss of 1 or 2lb's per week as the app suggests.

About 9 10 years ago I lost over 85lb's and kept it off for 2 years. This was done using a lo-carb method and the pounds melted away. For now I'm going to ignore the scales, keep doing what I'm doing, eventually increase the amount of exercise that I do and the amount of water that I drink.

So can I ask why you aren't doing a low-carb diet again? I'm quite curious if it helped you lose 85 lbs. Is it because as soon as you eat carbs again you start gaining?

Also - MFP sets your calories at a level for losing already, so at 1720 MFP is putting you at a deficit. If you eat at a deficit of that deficit you could do more harm than good, and no I don't mean starvation mode. I would recommend eating back close to if not all of your exercise calories because it gives you more to eat in a day.
  • MidoriRyu76
    MidoriRyu76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Calorie King. I got there for more accurate calories then just add all the numbers in manually here
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hang in the, it's a process I didn't see much early on after 30 days my body caught on, after 60 I found a groove. You will too. I understand the deal with the forearms but do what you can with compound lifts, start light I did stronglifts 5X5. If that's not an option go hard on the legs they are your biggest muscles and you will get the most bang for your buck. Good luck and drink tons of water
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to change up your gym time for a time until your body gets used to working out. Make sure you incorporate some good rest days in. Maybe try 3-4 times a week for 60 minutes. instead of 7 days a week for 30 minutes. Also try some interval training instead of just going all out. On your rest days if anything just go on a walk or something easy. Any decent starter training program will be sure to have rest days built in. Good rest is part of your training.

I started weighing 330ish pounds and for the first month I only went to the gym 3 times a week. Now I am 3 months in and have upped that recently to 4-5 a week. For my work I pull an on call once every 8 weeks, so for that week I don't do any gym time I just make sure my calories are at goal or close every day. When I come back after a week off my energy is up and I feel a ton stronger/faster.

Also if money is not a huge issue I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor. This helped me with my workouts in a tremendous way.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This might be an obvious question but I don't see anyone else asking it yet so I will: Have you consulted a doctor before embarking on this weight loss program? The reason I ask is, it is possible you have some underlying medical issues that are making it tougher on you to lose weight. Anyway, if you're very overweight, you probably want to get a go-ahead and possibly some medical supervision during this process.

But 15 days is nothing. Keep at it! Results will happen if you stick with it.