What kinds of 'unusual' fitness do you do?

Options
1235»

Replies

• evilqueencathy
    evilqueencathy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Lifting weights. I say that only in the sense that it's not the first thing people think of when thinking about weight loss. "Walking and jogging and crunches" are what usually comes to mind.

I lift weights too. Only 5 lb ones though. I hope to build up enough muscle to upgrade.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I run with a hash house harrier kennel. Yes, running is traditional but we do it in a very non-traditional way.

wish there was one of those near me ;)

• Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Archery, ninjitsu and bouldering B)
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Aqua cycling, I wish
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've been steinberg lifting people for reps.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Dance! Shove your furniture back, put on some good music, and get down! This is my favorite thing of all time and I don't care whether I look silly. :) Also, hooping is really good for your core muscles. and very fun. There are some awesome dance mixes on youtube that you can play for this.
  • betterby30
    betterby30 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In the summer I hang glide! Lugging the glider across the field is the greatest cardio ever, and holy geez were my arms and shoulders ripped at the end of the season!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I lift weights, walk on the treadmill, do the stair master, hike, do Hip Hop Abs, Zumba, have just started doing yoga, did Bokwa today, and I'm planning to try kickboxing soon. I like to have variety. I lift weights then do either treadmill or stair master 3-4 times a week, and I like to mix it up on my other days.
  • mandos_13
    Options
    Competitive Irish step dance and non-professional performances.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I cross-country ski. I love it-- I live in a place where it is cold and snowy from late November until the beginning of April, and skiing is the only thing that allows me to tolerate such a long winter! It is also an incredible workout, great for total-body exercise/strength, and burns a surprising number of calories.

I also like snowshoeing, but don't have any snowshoes right now. Hoping for them as a gift though.

My summer activities are far more normal!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    sex
  • lothquendi
    lothquendi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use my wii, play some wii fit u and just dance 4. I don't always log it because I'm not sure about how accurate it is, but it is a lot of fun, and it keeps me moving!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Rebounding (mini trampoline) is fun. Step aerobics is still around, I use DVDs though, can't imagine just stepping up and down on a step stool wouldn't get old really quick.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Benjinkan wrote: »
    Archery, ninjitsu and bouldering B)

I have an old, English style longbow that pulls approx. 95lbs @ 28"
    No one arm rows required :)

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Ruzuki wrote: »
    I'm wondering what sorts of non-traditional exercise and fitness people are doing. Walking and jogging and crunches get boring, so I want to try to get ideas.

One of my non-traditional fitness routines is dancing to Japanese pop videos. Trying to copy the dances in the videos basically. Its pretty fun, I have a youtube playlist that is an hour long and I dance the whole time. :)

I think that many people who are successful at maintaining an active lifestyle, over time, participate in a sport or learn and practice a physical skill that they enjoy. So, although these things are not "unusual", you might want to consider taking up one of these, or joining a club or class:
    Tennis
    Squash
    Rowing Club
    Karate or other marital art
    Soccer
    Rugby
    Hockey
    Horseback riding
    Golf
    Cross country skiing
    Snow Shoeing
    Swim club or water polo
    Basketball
    Volleyball

Joining a club, or taking some lessons in a sport, opens new doors, gets you active, and it's a great way of making new friends, too.

Made me laugh.

Lots of great ideas on this thread. I like variety. I walk (often for errands I used to take my car for, or boarding public transportation at a further stop), dance in my living room, lift, do ballet and other dance classes, yoga classes, yoga and Pilates at home, take the stairs, bike (mostly on vacation), rake leaves, shovel snow, in the past I've tried Zumba, Body Pump, Body Attack, kayaking...None of these are terribly unusual, but I've always got my eyes open for something new. Maybe I should get back into ice skating this winter; I haven't done that for a few years.