Using my back to squat when I'm tired

Options

Replies

• jorbjorb
    Options
    does anyone have a heart rate of 170+ after high rep squats?
    fackin deadly
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Kiyy wrote: »
    Another thing, when I squat light weight I actually perform poorly. There is something different that will occur when you have a heavy weight on the bar. Start with 25 on each side. You should not be squatting less than that. Your fit so don't be afraid to go for it. You will focus more and you wont mind holding that bar low on your back as much. Don't forget to raise the safety bar do it very high till you get comfortable. and make sure you raise the hangers so your not bending down out the gate. I set mine so I have to slightly raise my self up. I start looking at my spot on the ceiling before I even lift my weight off the rack. You will not fall forward if you look up.
    Another thing there is a difference between asking advice from a trainer friend and hiring one. If you hire a good trainer they will walk you through the entire from and be able to adjust what you need right there when you need it.
    It was smart of you to video yourself and ask for advice. Being able to see what your doing really gives you better advice.

Darren, seriously, ignore all this. The terrible advice provided by this poster ranges from extremely dangerous to health to... wth would someone do that?

Kiyy, if you're squatting with light weight and having poor form, you need to significantly deload and work on your form. Your form should be abso-freaking-lutely BOMBER with just the bar. Form has a greater tendency to break down as weight increases, so if you have horrid form with just the bar, you're going to get even worse from there. It's your body, so break it how you want, but seriously, you should hold back the dangerous advice before you or someone else divides by zero.

Thanks.
  • dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jorbjorb wrote: »
    does anyone have a heart rate of 170+ after high rep squats?
    fackin deadly

I do. Heavy weight will pop up the heart rate, yeah. Nothing deadly about it, it's a normal physiological reaction to heavy output.
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Would a lifting belt help?
    Once his other issues are handled, that might help cue him to keep that core tight. I don't think it's really needed though.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Lifting belts are not a good idea, unless your goal is to weaken your back muscles.

If you can't do squats with proper form, lower the weight. It's just a matter of time before you get stronger and can properly do progressively higher weights - and your supporting muscles will develop to enable that to happen. Belts impede that progress.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Lifting belts are not a good idea, unless your goal is to weaken your back muscles.

Another expert that doesn't know what they don't know. :)
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Another thing, when I squat light weight I actually perform poorly. There is something different that will occur when you have a heavy weight on the bar. Start with 25 on each side. You should not be squatting less than that. Your fit so don't be afraid to go for it. You will focus more and you wont mind holding that bar low on your back as much. Don't forget to raise the safety bar do it very high till you get comfortable. and make sure you raise the hangers so your not bending down out the gate. I set mine so I have to slightly raise my self up. I start looking at my spot on the ceiling before I even lift my weight off the rack. You will not fall forward if you look up.
    Another thing there is a difference between asking advice from a trainer friend and hiring one. If you hire a good trainer they will walk you through the entire from and be able to adjust what you need right there when you need it.
    It was smart of you to video yourself and ask for advice. Being able to see what your doing really gives you better advice.

Darren, seriously, ignore all this. The terrible advice provided by this poster ranges from extremely dangerous to health to... wth would someone do that?

Kiyy, if you're squatting with light weight and having poor form, you need to significantly deload and work on your form. Your form should be abso-freaking-lutely BOMBER with just the bar. Form has a greater tendency to break down as weight increases, so if you have horrid form with just the bar, you're going to get even worse from there. It's your body, so break it how you want, but seriously, you should hold back the dangerous advice before you or someone else divides by zero.

Thanks.

I have squated 2, 100 lb plates easy. Excellent form. I am a squat expert so you don't know what your talking about. Oh and I'm a 51+ year old woman. I can probably out squat you so you may need to re think some things.
  • Kiyy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The belt is not necessary.
  • Kiyy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Sam, add in cable pull throughs? What about some light (bar only) front squatting to help with building a stronger chest up position?

Or just look up and that will develop up position instantly. LOL
  • Kiyy
    Options
    Here are some articles that I think will help you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyberpump1.htm

You would automatically straighten up and pull your head and shoulders back. This is the proper position of the spine for the squat. IOW, your head is pulled back; your chest is raised; and you have a slight arch in your lower back. At no time during the squat should you bend over at the low back or look down.

Many people use towels or padding under the bar. Others (including me) feel this leads to some instability because the weight is "teeter tottering" on a small area on your back. If the bar is hurting you either need to add some trapezius mass, place the bar a little further down your back (it should be just above or below the sharp ridge on your scapula (shoulder blade)

Begin to raise the bar as you exhale by pushing the floor with the heel of your foot as you straighten the legs again and go back to the starting position.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-squat
    Begin to raise the bar as you exhale by pushing the floor with the heel of your foot as you straighten the legs again and go back to the starting position.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Squats

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/no_pain_squat.htm
    Now look up and this should help you arch your back. Stick out your chest. Lift your toes slightly. This forces you to keep your weight on your heels.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sorry, honored elder, you are no expert.

Looking up is a bad idea, and frankly, the rest of your advice is along that same level of bad. Someone's going to get hurt following your expert wisdom.
  • Kiyy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You speak hastily by saying several people are wrong. At your age you probably should have learned you don't have to be a jerk to express yourself and there may be more one way of doing things well. As a woman, I can very likely out squat you and I have many years experience. But I guess you still think that you are the only one with good advice. LOL.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Lol, you're new here, it's ok. I also don't get in squat races, a bum knee is not something to race with. Then again, if you were an expert, you'd know that.

Unfortunately, you and another user are giving terrible advice. Luckily, there are people who are much more versed at this than I in this thread. You should watch, we will all learn something.
  • Kiyy
    Options
    You probably hurt your knee when you were squatting with poor form.
  • Kiyy
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment but an expert doesn't = a mind reader. I guess I am suppose to somehow know you have a bum knee. Oh and just a reminder you also told him that his personal trainer gives him bad advice But I am happy to hear that you agree there is always something to learn.
  • Kiyy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    25 years heavy weight lifting legs lots of other sports and no injury's. At almost 52 years old I can out squat most men in any gym. last week, I was squatting and pressing with a strong thick 6+ foot man at the gym. I was doing 25 reps to his 5 reps. I could do every bit of what he loaded and more. I have never had any injury. But I don't know a thing.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Ummm... I'm not going to be negative here. All I will say is that if you want to get some good squat information then watch "So You Think You Can Squat" and / or videos from Mark Rippletoe, Joe Defranco, Chad Wesley Smith, or Dan Green just to name a few. Also, listen to your trainer and don't read anymore of this thread, there is so much bad and outdated (good at one time, not true now) information in this thread. Do the OPT Model for 4 weeks to build some base stabilization and strength and then progress from there. Cheers!
  • Kiyy
    Options
    Too late, You have already been negative and insulting to several people. I have the experience and I guess you watched a video so now your the expert.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Too late, You have already been negative and insulting to several people. I have the experience and I guess you watched a video so now your the expert.

LOL, I hope you're just trolling. I wasn't mean to anybody with that post.
  • Kiyy
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Sorry about that. I guess you jumped in so I didn't realize you were not the guy who was insulting people and had no real life experience to back up his opinions.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Yeah, it's just a troll.

Or, early stage dementia, either way. Full of horrid info.