What can one do with a significant other..aside from eat

Options
2»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Skating, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, tobogganing, going to a roller rink or trampoline park if you have them, walking or skating on the river... If you don't have skates then boot hockey (spongee) is fun. Walk around a mall, go somewhere that is displaying Christmas trees and maybe has carolers.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Have fun in the kitchen by teaching each other how to cook a new dish that will fit into your goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First thought would be sex, but I'm sure there are other things....cackling
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cook at home and watch a movie or some tv shows.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I kinda read the thread title as a question about how to eat your significant other. I must be hungry?
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Sex.

^^This
  • pamcris
    pamcris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Have fun in the kitchen by teaching each other how to cook a new dish that will fit into your goals.

This! My hubby and I love planning healthy dishes for the week and then cooking together! We also go to the gym together, even though we have different workouts for the most part. We live in GA so, even though it's pretty cold, it's still nice enough to hike. We do that sometimes. Going to the movies is always great, and my husband loves to bowl, so we do that once every other month (we have little kids so dates are not very frequent). We have also searched and downloaded a lot of nutritonal info from different restaurants. That way we can still go out to eat, but without eating 1500 calories a plate. I guess it depends on what kind of activities you too enjoy. My husband used to play baseball so some times we go batting. And of course I love going shopping, so if the weather is crappy or we don't have much to do, we go to the mall, walk around, shop if we need anything and normally have lunch or dinner around there before we head home.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    And keep in mind, a medium popcorn at the movie theater can have 1000 calories in it, a lot of them from fat. I try to only eat one cup of the popcorn when we go to the movies, for about 100 calories (much easier to fit into my macros). There are probably a lot of restaraunt meals for less than the 500 calories you are getting at the movie theater. Wendys has good salads, and there are some lower calorie items at Subways, by the way. Have fun :)
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    East Coaster here, too! Other than hiking/walking (which we didn't do often while dating) ... Find a coffee shop! We have a favorite one that we frequented when we were dating. I know a lot of them have food, but you can go for just coffee/tea and conversation. Most of our early dates were concerts and movies - either at home or at the theater. Lots of walking around record stores and book stores - indie ones and Barnes & Noble. Are you near a city? We live in NJ and go to NYC for day dates when we both have a day off - even in the winter!
  • denisa_016
    Options
    The possibilities are endless... How about a nice and romantic walk?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Serious question here, targeted at those of you who are seeing or have seen success while in a relationship. It's no secret that most people will gain because of all the date nights to restaurants. What are some date ideas OTHER than going out to eat??

I will especially need this advice now that winter is upon us. (I live on the east coast, usa). We are pretty good at the movies, getting a medium popcorn to share with 2 bottles of water.

Ideas? :)
    Oh....I can think of other things to do with my significant other rather than eat food, and one is really really fun. >:):D

Seriously, how about walking, talking, watching movies, playing board games, cleaning house, going shopping, going thrift shop surfing, playing music, going to a concert, going to book readings...the list is endless and depends on your mutual interests.

The bold part above is a sweeping generalization and not at all accurate. People don't gain weight "because of all the date nights to restaurants," they gain weight from eating too much in general.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Two things I have planned with my BF are a basketball game and ice skating. We meant to take a dance class as well.
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We live in NJ and go to NYC for day dates when we both have a day off - even in the winter!

Yes, actually. Linden, NJ. I love going to the city as well but we are both such insatiable beasts, we'd end up eating at every papaya dog and pizzeria, lol. I guess that could work if I did some research and planned a healthy option for us to stop at. It's definitely a great way to get in thousands of steps.

Thanks everyone for your replies! He is a chef and food is such an integral part of every activity that it is going to be hard to let go.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    We live in NJ and go to NYC for day dates when we both have a day off - even in the winter!

Yes, actually. Linden, NJ. I love going to the city as well but we are both such insatiable beasts, we'd end up eating at every papaya dog and pizzeria, lol. I guess that could work if I did some research and planned a healthy option for us to stop at. It's definitely a great way to get in thousands of steps.

Thanks everyone for your replies! He is a chef and food is such an integral part of every activity that it is going to be hard to let go.

I live in the city. If you're going to stop at places like that you might as well go into one of the cafe type places (gigis, lenny's, etc) and get soup and salad.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hikes.
    Dancing to live music.
    Going to the same gym, even if you're not going at the same time, and talking about it.
    Walking places around the city/around your house instead of driving.
    Supporting each other's fitness goals in conversation.

• MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of couples that run together. It's very cute and extremely healthy. They even run the local 5K, 10K, and half marathons together.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I typically go for a run with her around date 2-3. If she doesn't run, there's usually not a date 2-3 :)
    9a0faeo2bgno.jpeg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    All that exercising stuff is nice and all, but am I the only one who prefers exercising alone? The only exceptions I'd do is walks and hikes though... but running with someone sucks! I mean, really, what's the chance that both people run at the same speed?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    All that exercising stuff is nice and all, but am I the only one who prefers exercising alone? The only exceptions I'd do is walks and hikes though... but running with someone sucks! I mean, really, what's the chance that both people run at the same speed?

Relationships are give and take :) I often run slower with a partner, but running slower is good for you anyway. And it's only one run or so a week. Not my "quality" sessions such as track, tempo, etc.