Best Protein Powders???

Options
I am new to the world of protein powders and would love to hear input on the nuances! Also.. do I really need to shell out $130 + for for just 30 servings? :-/

Thanks All!

Replies

• bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like the Body Fortress line. It is available at Walmart for less than $20. Costco used to sell a 5lb version for $35, but I don't see it their website anymore.
  • tiemyshew
    tiemyshew Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Orgain organic protein powder, chocolate fudge......just love it!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    GNC's Amped wheybolic 60 in chocolate is delicious mixed with milk! Depending on your tastes there's the natural and original, the natural is a bit sweeter than the original. The tub is like 45$ but it lasts me awhile since I only use 1 scoop instead of the recommended 3 (20 grams of protein, 100 calories per scoop)....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    I like the Body Fortress line. It is available at Walmart for less than $20. Costco used to sell a 5lb version for $35, but I don't see it their website anymore.

I wouldn't recommend Body Fortress as they've been mentioned as one of the companies being looked into for nitrogen spiking.

The brands I'd recommend are Optimum Nutrition (which is decently priced and has some decent flavors) and Trutein (a much more pricier protein, but better quality in texture and taste).

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend Body Fortress as they've been mentioned as one of the companies being looked into for nitrogen spiking.

The brands I'd recommend are Optimum Nutrition (which is decently priced and has some decent flavors) and Trutein (a much more pricier protein, but better quality in texture and taste).

Meh body fortress is fine and cheap and tastes OK. I have nothing against it.

ON Gold Standard is probably the best though.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

My comment wasn't about the price or the taste, but I'll just leave this link for any lurkers concerned about the actual protein they are getting.

http://www.newsinferno.com/nitrogen-spiking-scams-protein-supplement-customers/
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

My comment wasn't about the price or the taste, but I'll just leave this link for any lurkers concerned about the actual protein they are getting.

http://www.newsinferno.com/nitrogen-spiking-scams-protein-supplement-customers/

I read it is like 20 grams instead of 30. For being as cheap as it is though, I don't really mind. I also pretty much assume every company is out to **** me anyways so I just build my life around that. :p
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I use "Exact" protein powder and I like it. But I'm about to order the Pure Protein Whey isolate. I LOVE the Pure Protein shakes and bars so I'm hoping their powder is just as yummy. Their regular protein powder looks kinda "meh", but the isolate has some good stats.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

I just picked up the ON gold standard Casein. 53 servings was $53 to the door in two day. I like whey but wanted something that lasted 7 hours instead of a fast release that only last for a 3 hours since my work outs consist of walking.

• VicLoveVic
    VicLoveVic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So, for protien beginers like I and the person whom posted this question....what is the best powder recommended for weight loss? Im curious to hear how those who have been drinking it for awhile lost weight etc pros and cons?
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I second the Orgain organic protein powder recommendation. It doesn't have aspartame, it doesn't have soy (the two things I avoid in protein powders) it mixes better than any protein powder I've ever tried (and I've tired many.) They have it at my Costco, but I've hard Costco doesn't sell it anymore, so you can get it on amazon. I also love all things Garden of Life, such as raw meal and raw protein, but those are more of an acquired taste.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    VicLoveVic wrote: »
    So, for protien beginers like I and the person whom posted this question....what is the best powder recommended for weight loss? Im curious to hear how those who have been drinking it for awhile lost weight etc pros and cons?

No protein powder is for weight loss, because it adds calories....Protein powder is to supply you with extra protein so you can hit your macro goals for the day
  • VicLoveVic
    Options

No protein powder is for weight loss, because it adds calories....Protein powder is to supply you with extra protein so you can hit your macro goals for the day

Ive been curios about the calories as well. Ive read different things about protien powder, I guess im a little confused. What about Body by Vi and Shakeology? Are they not to help with weight loss? Along with exercise , watching what I eat etc, im already doing that.
  • harlequin0318
    Options

Ive been curios about the calories as well. Ive read different things about protien powder, I guess im a little confused. What about Body by Vi and Shakeology? Are they not to help with weight loss? Along with exercise , watching what I eat etc, im already doing that.

Yea don't waste your money on that stuff, honestly its just another scam. As long as your eating in a deficit and exercising you will lose the weight just fine. If you aren't hitting your protein goal every day, and can't stand to eat another piece of chicken, or egg, or whatever protein source you rely on - then shakes are the way to go. I use my shakes to kill my chocolate cravings and hit my protein goals. its a win win :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

What Harlequin said. They should be treated as food that just helps you get your protein up for the day. If you meet your protein requirments from elsewehere then you dont need it. I just use it occasionally when I need convenience and for some reason have fallen a bit short a short of the amount of protein you have set in your macro.
  • MachiavelliNZ
    MachiavelliNZ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    do I really need to shell out $130 + for for just 30 servings?

This may sound like a really nutrition-geek thing to say but I actually made a spreadsheet and listed brands of protein powders from my favourite online supplement store and then sorted them by pounds, cost, and then calculated the best bang for my buck. I managed to get an unflavoured protein powder for as low price per pound as the seriously bulk powders were offered at.

You may find that worth doing at least once so that you know what is generally a good price in your area.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I managed to get an unflavoured protein powder for as low price per pound as the seriously bulk powders were offered at.

You may find that worth doing at least once so that you know what is generally a good price in your area.

Spot on. What's 'best' is really dependent on much more than just source/quality- it's also about what's going to fit with you and your needs, whether it's macro wise, for what purpose, whether you want a vegan protein or not, etc etc. I can only comment on my experiences in Australia, but I've recently switched to a company that does bulk powders (WPI and vegan proteins) with simple flavours. I might not be doing the best on flavour range, or on texture, but I'm definitely getting the best bang for my buck as I'm not paying for labels, import fees, or made up nonsense ingredients that have a trademark next to them. Just straight up protein that I can adjust the serving size to suit my needs, and add carbs etc to as I need.

• harlequin0318
    Options

This may sound like a really nutrition-geek thing to say but I actually made a spreadsheet and listed brands of protein powders from my favourite online supplement store and then sorted them by pounds, cost, and then calculated the best bang for my buck. I managed to get an unflavoured protein powder for as low price per pound as the seriously bulk powders were offered at.

Can i skip the research and just ask you what brand you got as the best bang for your buck lol
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    $130 for 30 servings??? I didn't know gold was considered a protein.... holy lord. I've never seen it so expensive.

Personally, I use the Optimum Nutrition, and get 26 servings for around $30. I have tried a number of other powders, but ON is by far the best tasting to me. Even though it is still pretty expensive, I can afford it, so that's what I go for.

If my budget was more fixed though, there would be nothing wrong at all with going for one of the $5 flavorless bulk protein options. It is really more about what is in your budget, and what you won't hate to drink. lol
  • VicLoveVic
    Options

Yea don't waste your money on that stuff, honestly its just another scam. As long as your eating in a deficit and exercising you will lose the weight just fine. If you aren't hitting your protein goal every day, and can't stand to eat another piece of chicken, or egg, or whatever protein source you rely on - then shakes are the way to go. I use my shakes to kill my chocolate cravings and hit my protein goals. its a win win :)

Thank you so much, very helpful info! :-) :-)