Whats your take on fruit (sugar)?

Options
I've always believed that anything from the earth is a good food to have. But I am always hearing that sugar is the enemy with weight loss and this INCLUDES fruit. Is this the truth? I just don't see how natural sugars from the earth could really be that bad for you. I am confused on this matter.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    for weight loss eating more calories than you consume is the enemy ..

you can eat sugar, maintain a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

Unless you have a medical condition that makes one sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it.

source of sugar does not matter, because at the end of the day they are all the same at the molecular level.
  • iceycoldhot
    iceycoldhot Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday. Apples are a major staple in my diet since they are easy to cut up and bring to work. There is also quite a bit a sugar on my Greek yogurts and some of the vegetables I eat. This has not hindered my weight loss at all. I have still lost 20 lbs in the past two months.

Honestly- unless you have a medical condition that makes you have to what sugar intake- there is nothing wrong with sugar (be it fruit or otherwise).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
  • iceycoldhot
    iceycoldhot Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ^LOL!!!!!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What is right for you is something only you and your doctor can determine.

For me, there is no such thing as too much fruit. If I could be healthy doing it, I'd exist almost solely on fruit.

It's great for my weight loss. Yummy, low-cal, nutritious.

I don't care about the sugar.

...I'm sitting here having cherries right now. Yum! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    for weight loss eating more calories than you consume is the enemy ..

you can eat sugar, maintain a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

Unless you have a medical condition that makes one sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it.

source of sugar does not matter, because at the end of the day they are all the same at the molecular level.

+1
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Now I wish I had some cherries. Jealous.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Now I wish I had some cherries. Jealous.
    Barbados cherries are in season and showing up in the stores here. Do people up north get them?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any, but I usually just get whatever my CSA has, which last week was cranberries and apples. I may have to go look at WF just in case, but I suspect not, sigh.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It's Summer here, we have cherries everywhere :wink: and plums, and nectarines, and peaches and pineapples.... you get the picture lol

• Kalikel
    Options
    Winter sucks for fruit lovers, lol. Honeybells, though! :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Nah. My doctor tells me that fruit is nutritious and healthy and that I should eat it. you just have to count the fruit calories along with all the other calories.
  • blearyspecs
    blearyspecs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Even the most ardent anti-sugar activists are only recommending limits on ADDED sugar. That doesn't include fruit. The only way eating fruit can be bad for you is if you're eating nothing but fruit and missing nutrients from other sources. Or if you eat too many and go over on calories.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love fruit.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Even the most ardent anti-sugar activists are only recommending limits on ADDED sugar. That doesn't include fruit. The only way eating fruit can be bad for you is if you're eating nothing but fruit and missing nutrients from other sources. Or if you eat too many and go over on calories.

And how is added sugar different from other sugar? How is the molecular make up any different?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Id suspect that the difference lies in the fact that foods with added sugar do not contain the natural nutrients and fiber that foods with natural sugars carry. Basically, natural sugars have a natural "offset" in their nutrient profile, but added sugars are not naturally balanced in this way.

I'm not a Nutrition expert, but it seems logical to me that the sugars in a sweet fruit or vegetable are in no way equivalent to those in an added-sugar food.
  • Kimmiebatchy
    Kimmiebatchy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read a book called, The sweet poison quit plan. It was totally against sugar, this included fructose. There definitely was some valid points in the book but what turned me off was that it was telling you to substitute sugar with artificial sweeteners and to me it sounded kind of stupid to substitute natural with artificial.
    Moderation is the key and burning more than you consume.
    Fruit is natural, don't cut it out of your diet.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Id suspect that the difference lies in the fact that foods with added sugar do not contain the natural nutrients and fiber that foods with natural sugars carry. Basically, natural sugars have a natural "offset" in their nutrient profile, but added sugars are not naturally balanced in this way.

I'm not a Nutrition expert, but it seems logical to me that the sugars in a sweet fruit or vegetable are in no way equivalent to those in an added-sugar food.

I agree with this statement. As a diabetic I can tell a huge difference between getting my sugar intake from a natural source compared to a processed source. For me, eating natural sugars gives me an equal sugar burn throughout the day. When I'm eating stuff that is processed, I can tell that my sugar spikes and crashes.
  • eruntalon84
    eruntalon84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've always believed that anything from the earth is a good food to have.

To be fair, arsenic/hemlock/cyanide/etc comes from the earth and I strongly advise against eating it. It's important to understand why something is good or bad for you rather than using a broad brush like "from the earth = good"