Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    mamadon wrote: »
    Muffie22 wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

You're also 25 years old.

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

Well, good for you! You are not a post-menopausal, obese women.

I am 52 years old. I have been going through menopause. I lost over 125 pounds following CI/CO and it worked fine for me.

I am truly happy for you. CICO did not work for me and it does not work for many others. I have several friends who insist on follow calorie-restricted diets (and they include a fair bit of non-nutritive junk food and even vodka and other forms of alcoholic spirits which contain no nutritional benefit at all). They always quit after a few months, gain back what they lost plus more, go back on the calorie-restricted diet, etc. This does not happen to me anymore. They always tell me that they admire my "iron discipline" and I always tell them that they could do the same if only they would change the composition of their diet. It isn't magic--it's just sensible.

How does CICO not work though? If you are eating less than your maintenance you will lose. Your maintenance may not be as high as the average person, but that doesn't mean CICO flies out the door because your intake isn't the same as others.

So what you are saying is if you eat 6000 calories worth of vegetables (or whatever foods you eat), you won't gain?

I cannot imagine eating 6,000 calories in nutrient-dense food. Many days, when I have a flair in my arthritis and must rest, I can't even eat up to my TDEE-20%.

• SanteMulberry
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That some people don't eat sustainable or sensible diets based on CICO doesn't mean CICO doesn't work.

That low fat was or is a bad idea seems to me more of a reason to be skeptical of the new sugar as scapegoat, not less.

Not at all. Essential fatty acids are just that--essential. There is NOTHING essential about table sugar. I don't eat any added sugar at all and I am much healthier for it.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

I am 52 years old. I have been going through menopause. I lost over 125 pounds following CI/CO and it worked fine for me.

I am truly happy for you. CICO did not work for me and it does not work for many others. I have several friends who insist on follow calorie-restricted diets (and they include a fair bit of non-nutritive junk food and even vodka and other forms of alcoholic spirits which contain no nutritional benefit at all). They always quit after a few months, gain back what they lost plus more, go back on the calorie-restricted diet, etc. This does not happen to me anymore. They always tell me that they admire my "iron discipline" and I always tell them that they could do the same if only they would change the composition of their diet. It isn't magic--it's just sensible.
    That makes absolutely no sense at all. Caloric deficit works for everyone. Even you, you just haven't tried hard enough.

Yo-Yoing does not mean caloric deficit does not work. It means they probably had a poorly constructed diet to begin with that wasn't sustainable. You don't seem to grasp the notion that you can't just say one thing is one way because something happened.

Correlation =/= Causation

You need to apply a little bit of critical thinking and analysis before just throwing out theories that have no basis.

No--YOU need to read more closely and THINK. Calories in and out are ALWAYS the basis of gain or loss of body fat. I have NEVER denied this. But the margin of error for a smallish. aging, post-menopausal woman is so small that another approach is needed. It only takes 100 calories extra per day to put on about 100 pounds in a decade. That 100 calories is an extremely small window to hit each and every day. Now I let the composition of my diet do the planning for me.
    But you literally said, a few posts ago, that CICO doesn't work for you :huh:

• SanteMulberry
    Options
    Nightie-night all! :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Caloric deficit works for everyone. Even you, you just haven't tried hard enough.

Yo-Yoing does not mean caloric deficit does not work. It means they probably had a poorly constructed diet to begin with that wasn't sustainable. You don't seem to grasp the notion that you can't just say one thing is one way because something happened.

You need to apply a little bit of critical thinking and analysis before just throwing out theories that have no basis.

No--YOU need to read more closely and THINK. Calories in and out are ALWAYS the basis of gain or loss of body fat. I have NEVER denied this. But the margin of error for a smallish. aging, post-menopausal woman is so small that another approach is needed. It only takes 100 calories extra per day to put on about 100 pounds in a decade. That 100 calories is an extremely small window to hit each and every day. Now I let the composition of my diet do the planning for me.

Age alone does not impact metabolism. Age-related metabolic slowdowns are only an issue insofar as lean body mass is compromised. A sedentary person will lose lean mass, and therefore metabolism slows. But one would have to lose a great deal of muscle to have the impact that you're implying. As long as one remains active and works to protect or build more muscle, this is not an issue.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Quite stunned still to have read this comment and not seeing others respond to the fallacies it presents to the readers:

You can't count it successful, if you quickly regain what was lost as soon as you leave the low calorie plan. And the reason why many people leave the low calorie plan is because they are malnourished from only paying attention to "calories in - calories out".

It is so annoying to see people spout opinions based on their own misinformed collection of thoughts and try to present themselves as informed.

Firstly, CICO does not equal low calorie. Secondly, people do not quickly regain because they were malnourished from only paying attention to CICO. One can be entirely well-nourished, following a moderate deficit, CICO and IIFYM and still regain once they hit their magical goal because they are not eating at maintenance - they are eating in surplus. What causes them to eat at a suprlus? A whole list of things that are entirely individual and one could spend days discussing them.

You want to eat a certain way because it works for you? Great. You want to share what works for you? Awesome. But please - stop demonizing and misinforming others with your incorrect conclusions and opinions and trying to present them as factual. The use of words like 'generally' and 'often' does not actually make your statements any less wrong.

Yes, it does mean low calorie for some people. And I have evaluated the diet of a great many of my friends on MFP as well as looked at the diets of other people. And it is mostly older women I am speaking of. They tend to be deficient in protein, vitamins, minerals, and even fat. I have one friend who is obsessed with eating low fat. I keep telling her that she needs at least 45 grams of fat per day to stay healthy. She eats a lot of junk (including booze). She runs a lot--until she has an injury. And then she stops and gains weight in spite of eating even less than she was eating before. She has had many health problems and I can't help but feel that she would be healthier if she would follow a more sensible diet and exercise program.

The recommendation sounds very similar to IIFYM!

No. She has so completely messed up her health and metabolism from eating (and drinking) whatever--"as long as it fits in her macros" that she now gains weight on eating practically nothing (when she is laid up because of an injury). She just recently had to have achilles tendon surgery. She is very flabby and sickly looking and thinks that all she has to do is run more and that will fix everything. It's NOT working.

That's not what Sara was commenting on. THIS is what she was saying sounds familiar to IIFYM -
    ...would follow a more sensible diet and exercise program.

Do you really understand/know what IIFYM is? Please take a read at the following link because I really don't think you get it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/817188/iifym/p1

• PikaKnight
    Options
    Quite stunned still to have read this comment and not seeing others respond to the fallacies it presents to the readers:

You can't count it successful, if you quickly regain what was lost as soon as you leave the low calorie plan. And the reason why many people leave the low calorie plan is because they are malnourished from only paying attention to "calories in - calories out".

It is so annoying to see people spout opinions based on their own misinformed collection of thoughts and try to present themselves as informed.

Firstly, CICO does not equal low calorie. Secondly, people do not quickly regain because they were malnourished from only paying attention to CICO. One can be entirely well-nourished, following a moderate deficit, CICO and IIFYM and still regain once they hit their magical goal because they are not eating at maintenance - they are eating in surplus. What causes them to eat at a suprlus? A whole list of things that are entirely individual and one could spend days discussing them.

You want to eat a certain way because it works for you? Great. You want to share what works for you? Awesome. But please - stop demonizing and misinforming others with your incorrect conclusions and opinions and trying to present them as factual. The use of words like 'generally' and 'often' does not actually make your statements any less wrong.

Yes, it does mean low calorie for some people. And I have evaluated the diet of a great many of my friends on MFP as well as looked at the diets of other people. And it is mostly older women I am speaking of. They tend to be deficient in protein, vitamins, minerals, and even fat. I have one friend who is obsessed with eating low fat. I keep telling her that she needs at least 45 grams of fat per day to stay healthy. She eats a lot of junk (including booze). She runs a lot--until she has an injury. And then she stops and gains weight in spite of eating even less than she was eating before. She has had many health problems and I can't help but feel that she would be healthier if she would follow a more sensible diet and exercise program.

No. She has so completely messed up her health and metabolism from eating (and drinking) whatever--"as long as it fits in her macros" that she now gains weight on eating practically nothing (when she is laid up because of an injury). She just recently had to have achilles tendon surgery. She is very flabby and sickly looking and thinks that all she has to do is run more and that will fix everything. It's NOT working.

NO. That is not what IIFYM is. Please learn about IIFYM before you comment. It is NOT about eating whatever you want as long as it fits your macros. The recommendation IS very similar to what IIFYM actually is.

Actually, I am pretty sure this has been pointed out to you before.

Repeatedly
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    Isn't metabolic syndrome a myth?

No. From the Cleveland Clinic: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Metabolic_Syndrome
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

That's not what Sara was commenting on. THIS is what she was saying sounds familiar to IIFYM -

Do you really understand/know what IIFYM is? Please take a read at the following link because I really don't think you get it.

Yes, yes--I understand that the THEORY is to take care of your nutritional needs first and then, if you have any calories left over, indulge your appetite. BUT, when I examine the food diaries of many people, I see that THEY interpret IIFIYM to mean that they can eat whatever crap diet they want to eat as long as they fall under on their calories.

• PikaKnight
    edited December 2014
    Options

Yes, yes--I understand that the THEORY is to take care of your nutritional needs first and then, if you have any calories left over, indulge your appetite. BUT, when I examine the food diaries of many people, I see that THEY interpret IIFIYM to mean that they can eat whatever crap diet they want to eat as long as they fall under on their calories.

But it's not possible to follow IIFYM that way. You can't meet your protein macros on twinkies, nor could you meet that macro eating only vegetables. So just because THEY don't understand doesn't mean that IIFYM isn't based on or doesn't encourage a sensible diet - which is what you basically have said/keep insinuating.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

No. From the Cleveland Clinic: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Metabolic_Syndrome

But, metabolic syndrome hasn't been proven, has it? It's really just a theory? How do YOU know you have Metabolic Syndrome?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Then they are not actually following what IIFYM is supposed to be. Please do not malign IIFYM because some people do not follow it as it was intended.

Also, 'crap' diet is subjective and very individual.

If you saw what I ate you may call much of it 'crap'. However, just looking at someone's diary does not give context. I can eat a pop tart ice cream sammich - because I have the discretionary calories, do not have an issue with carbs and it is actually beneficial to my lifting. Maybe not someone else.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Age alone does not impact metabolism. Age-related metabolic slowdowns are only an issue insofar as lean body mass is compromised. A sedentary person will lose lean mass, and therefore metabolism slows. But one would have to lose a great deal of muscle to have the impact that you're implying. As long as one remains active and works to protect or build more muscle, this is not an issue.

Indeed. But unless care is taken to safeguard health in the 30s, 40s and 50s, those metabolic slowdowns WILL occur. My friend who has all of the health problems is 34 (and it is my opinion that a lot of it has to do with her crap diet and drinking too much--she drinks 5 oz, of vodka or the equivalent almost every day).
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

But, metabolic syndrome hasn't been proven, has it? It's really just a theory? How do YOU know you have Metabolic Syndrome?

So is the Theory of Relativity but nearly everyone accepts it as truth.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

But it's not possible to follow IIFYM that way. You can't meet your protein macros on twinkies, nor could you meet that macro eating only vegetables. So just because THEY don't understand doesn't mean that IIFYM isn't based on or doesn't encourage a sensible diet - which is what you basically have said/keep insinuating.

So then we agree on a few things.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

This is the same thing you find when you review most "clean" eaters' diaries...

...well, the ones who have been doing it for more than six weeks.

Ha, just kidding. As if long-time clean eating proponents actually have open diaries.

Disclaimer: I'm 43 years old and do not have multiple drinks of hard liquor every night, so anything I say may not be applicable to the a vast majority of people. Or at least I think this is how this works...right?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Then they are not actually following what IIFYM is supposed to be. Please do not malign IIFYM because some people do not follow it as it was intended.

If you saw what I ate you may call much of it 'crap'. However, just looking at someone's diary does not give context. I can eat a pop tart ice cream sammich - because I have the discretionary calories, do not have an issue with carbs and it is actually beneficial to my lifting. Maybe not someone else.

If your basic nutritional needs were met, I wouldn't have a problem with it. My friend follows a 1,400 calorie diet and she sometimes drinks about a third of her calories in alcoholic beverages. She's 34, will she see a healthy 64? I have my doubts that she will even see 64 at all if she doesn't smarten up.

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

So is the Theory of Relativity but nearly everyone accepts it as truth.

Again, you failed to answer another one of my questions. How do YOU know that you have Metabolic Syndrome?
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you started out on the wrong foot. One of the great things about MFP is that it works for so many people because it's not in itself a diet plan, it is just a tool and helps connect many different people doing their own thing, allowing us all to learn from each other.

Many people eat fast food several times a week and are still successful at losing weight, others do better eating clean and working out, some follow specific diet plans, others are monitoring their intake for medical reasons, and so on...

I've learned about a lot of different diets, many different motivations for losing/gaining/maintaining their weight. How they get there is their journey and many people just heard you tell them they are controlled lab rats who are manipulated by rich people.

I really hope you are successful with the diet you choose. The one thing I've heard over and over from everyone who has not been successful with their diet choices is that instead of being honest with the fact that they didn't stick to the diet, they made excuses as to why it was too hard or "diets just don't work for them." There is always a reason, and more often then not it's our own fault.

Good luck.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If your basic nutritional needs were met, I wouldn't have a problem with it. My friend follows a 1,400 calorie diet and she sometimes drinks about a third of her calories in alcoholic beverages. She's 34, will she see a healthy 64? I have my doubts that she will even see 64 at all if she doesn't smarten up.

I do not think anyone would argue that her 'diet' is probably not the best (understatement) and that she would do better with a more sensible diet and more exercise. Someone drinking 1/3 of their cals in alcohol on a 1,400 cal diet is not a good example of anything, other than an other than healthy diet. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation at hand however.

One of the points of IIFYM is to ensure your nutritional needs are met. Again, do not malign IIFYM because some people are not following it at all (as I am sure many of the people not eating a balanced diet do not actually hit their macros the majority of the time) or are not following it as it is intended. Its kind of like people saying they are paleo, but then eat potatoes and protein bars on the regular.