A question about bulking and cutting...

Hi.

So a question about bulking and cutting.
Yes. From the very person who made a post last night that said I won't do it and hate doing heavy lifting. Fun is an issue. Price is an issue. Maintaining consistency is an issue because of price. But aside from that.

I am currently skinnyfat. I'm 134lb at 27% bf. Will doing bulking and cutting cycles help out with that? To firm up. And gain strength? And help me look better?

Replies

• Bump?
  • My advice based on my own experience and a few supporting articles would be to lose the the fat first...bulking always seems to go hand in hand with some fat gain but the amount of fat gained seems to be higher for those with already high body fat percentages. I'd look for about a 10 - 15 % body fat level before bulking, it depends on your physiology and genetics tho.....
  • kpop82
    kpop82 Posts: 139 Member
    I never recommend cutting to anyone ever for anything ever. It's the most wretched, horrid and terrible experience I've ever been through, and it is SO not fun.
    I just feel like I need to throw that PSA out there...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    edited December 2014
    Yes.

The general consensus is to wait till you're sub 24% (for females, not sure about the guys, think it's 10-15%), but I was happy with the results I got starting at 30ish.

The reasoning behind waiting till your bodyfat is lower is so your body processes protein more efficiently and (more so, I'd say) gaining fat when you're already at a higher bf% effs with your head.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    at 27% body fat- I wouldn't recommend a bulk. at all.

I'd say eat at maintenance and lift.

or continue to cut at a moderate deficit and lift .
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    at 27% body fat- I wouldn't recommend a bulk. at all.

I'd say eat at maintenance and lift.

or continue to cut at a moderate deficit and lift .

Glad to see you changed your mind OP. Anyways follow the above.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    kpop82 wrote: »
    I never recommend cutting to anyone ever for anything ever. It's the most wretched, horrid and terrible experience I've ever been through, and it is SO not fun.
    I just feel like I need to throw that PSA out there...

Sounds like you're doin it wrong
  • JoRocka
    I feel like someone doesn't understand context.

or bad joke.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I feel like someone doesn't understand context.

or bad joke.

I'm going to go with not understanding based on OP's posting history.

OP, there's also the group named "Eat Train Progress" you can browse through their threads and learn more.
  • c_aw
    c_aw Posts: 128 Member
    i would do carb cycling. works magic.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    I just lower my carbs on a cut. I maintain my calories. Works very well for me.
  • LolBroScience
    mrbyte wrote: »

?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

For a cut? Macro have nothing to do with weight loss. You clearly ate less calories.

• JoRocka

how do you eat less while eating the same amount??

I mean- I understand cutting carbs- but not maintaining calories.

That's not how math works.
  • majiir
    majiir Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2014
    If you "lower your carbs" and leave everything else the same... you have lowered your calories. You will only lose body fat in a caloric deficit (barring recomp at maintenance, if you're relatively new to lifting). If you think otherwise it's because you're wrong.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Derp in a hurry.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Like a pack of wolves.
  • mrbyte
    Please don't tell me I don't understand how to cut. I'm 200 pounds and 10%. Macros work for me. I log all my calories so don't tell me I'm clearly eating less. I eat less carbs and lose bodyfat. Sorry if that doesn't work for you but it works for me. I'm not trying to start a *kitten* storm but everybody is different.
  • LolBroScience
    Please don't tell me I don't understand how to cut. I'm 200 pounds and 10%. Macros work for me. I log all my calories so don't tell me I'm clearly eating less. I eat less carbs and lose bodyfat. Sorry if that doesn't work for you but it works for me. I'm not trying to start a *kitten* storm but everybody is different.

It still doesn't make sense.

You go from 400g carbs down to 200g carbs you've cut out 800 calories...
  • mrbyte
    And I increase proteins and fats when I cut carbs.