A question about bulking and cutting...

Options

Replies

• mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    And I increase proteins and fats when I cut carbs.
  • mrbyte
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not here to debate. People need to try things and see if it works. I found what works for me. I've found it very difficult to gain weight when I am running 15 to 20% carbs.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, readjusting your macros or macro percentages is one thing. Stating it how you did is another...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mrbyte wrote: »
    Please don't tell me I don't understand how to cut. I'm 200 pounds and 10%. Macros work for me. I log all my calories so don't tell me I'm clearly eating less. I eat less carbs and lose bodyfat. Sorry if that doesn't work for you but it works for me. I'm not trying to start a *kitten* storm but everybody is different.
    So you eat say 3500 calories in maintenance with 40% carbs, but eat 3500 calories with say 15% carbs and you lose?

Obviously counts are just examples. Just want to make sure I have what you are saying correct in my head.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

so where do you create your calorie deficit for losing?
  • mrbyte
    Options
    Yes..but I'm not talking drastic amounts - say 10 pounds of loss to tighten up the defintion. I will concide that if I need to lose 40 pounds I'll have to cut more calories but for that 10 to 15 pound window I just watch carbs.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yes..but I'm not talking drastic amounts - say 10 pounds of loss to tighten up the defintion. I will concide that if I need to lose 40 pounds I'll have to cut more calories but for that 10 to 15 pound window I just watch carbs.

Interesting. How much average weight loss do you see (per week) doing this?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    It's the end of the day-I'm sad- I won't be able to keep playing this game- I'm going to leave- and miss all the fun!!!- although it is tremendous fun.
  • mrbyte
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's slow. I went from 18% at 205 to 10% at 195 in about 5 months. But I don't like being under 200. This was also after a long layoff so I was able to gain a lot of LBM back during my reacclomation to weights. So a couple of percent of bf a month. My goal is 205 at 10%. Will be a while before I hit that.
  • onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    Options
    If you cut carbs you lose water weight. But gain it back after incrasing carbs again.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's slow. I went from 18% at 205 to 10% at 195 in about 5 months. But I don't like being under 200. This was also after a long layoff so I was able to gain a lot of LBM back during my reacclomation to weights. So a couple of percent of bf a month.

I kinda of suck at math, but I don't think that quite works out... losing 8% BF and 10 lbs
  • JoRocka
    Options
    but he's cutting carbs and maintaining calories.

It works dude.
    it works.
  • mrbyte
    Options
    onasaz wrote: »
    If you cut carbs you lose water weight. But gain it back after incrasing carbs again.

Quite true but my bf is also testing lower and the look defined versus at 18%. I'm sure water is different at different macros. I can eat carbs for a day and my muscles will feel much fuller and feel more vascular. My weight swings around 4 pounds a day from morning to night. I weight in the mornings.

• mrbyte
    Options
    LOLBroScience. I stated that I had a lay off from weights. I lost probably 15 pounds in LBM right there. I started lifting and watched my carbs. I gained my LBM back partially and lost fat. If I'm training and watchign my carbs I sit at 200 @ 10% right now. That's at 4000 calories a day.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    BF% is testing lower using what method to measure?
  • mrbyte
    Options
    Some quad impedance machine at my gym.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Some quad impedance machine at my gym.

Ah okay. That tells more of the story.

• mrbyte
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah..but it's much more accurate than the others I've seen. It uses hands and feet contacts and runs a bunch of varies cycles. I've been hydro'd when I was younger and was 10% so I know what 10% looks like on me. Serratus are defined at around 10%.
  • mrbyte
    Options
    Anyway OP. Good luck on finding the right combo to reach your goals.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

so where do you create your calorie deficit for losing?

Have to agree with mrbyte here. The amount of actual energy available to your body is lower from a calorie of protein than from a calorie of carbs. Carbs require less processing for the body to convert to energy. Proteins require more processing, which expends energy. This leaves less net energy.