Losing weight without doing any exercise at all.

Options
2»

Replies

• kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So I can take over the world after the inevitable zombie apocalypse..duh. That and snickers. I really like snickers.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I don't want to lose lean muscle mass as I lose weight--exercise prevents loss of lean muscle mass. I don't want to get osteoporosis--exercise increases bone density. I want to be stronger, not just thinner--exercise builds strength and endurance. And it doesn't hurt that I can eat a bit more when I exercise. :)

All of these, and I want my legs to look good. Also I am on a small 250 daily deficit and I start thinking about all of the little inaccuracies that could creep in and totally wipe that out: I don't weigh my fruit. I measured out 5 ounces of wine once, but after that I eyeball it. What if I don't drain my tuna in oil as much as the nutrition facts assume? What if my calorie burn rate by being alive is on the low side of average?
    I'd rather go for a brisk walk for an hour with lots of hills to give me a calorie cushion, than put more effort into being super precise and accurate. Maybe I'll eat some back, maybe I won't.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It might seem like a stupid question as seen as i'm not planning to do no exercise, but if you're in a calorie deficit without exercise, why do people exercise aswell?
    Is it just for fitness and sculpting your body better?

I've been doing really well with my exercise, but since Friday I haven't done any workouts and need my mind put at rest really.

I happen to like seeing how much my body can do. I have my 8th full marathon next year. I also like to be healthy, feel sexy (ya, i dont feel sexy without exercise, nor am i attracted to guys who dont get off their butts and do any) I like the feeling of endorphins from exercise, feeling strong, being able to run faster, walk longer, etc and I do NOT want to be flabby (aka skinny-fat). Sure you can lose weight without exercise... But why would you WANT to?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Cuz I want endurance and strength and want my body to look better
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    It might seem like a stupid question as seen as i'm not planning to do no exercise, but if you're in a calorie deficit without exercise, why do people exercise aswell?

I've been doing really well with my exercise, but since Friday I haven't done any workouts and need my mind put at rest really.

It is for preserving lean body mass. When you eat at a deficit, fat is not the only thing you lose. By working out with intensity, you are forcing your body to hang on to as much muscle as it can.
  • jennidee12
    Options
    I Exercise Because
    1) Growing up I loved sports, exercising was fun and now it's a way of life
    2) Because I love to swim
    3) I love to eat and don't like dieting (lets be honest...dieting isn't fun)
    4) I have an anxiety disorder. Exercise helps me control my emotions by stabilizing the endorphins in my brain
    5) Physical therapy for a current injury
    6) To be able to outrun someone who is chasing me (zombies in a zombie apocalypse) and to be able to swim if i fall over board.
    7) To be able to lift things on my own without the help of a man
    8) To make new friends and keep my existing friends
    9) Over the years, I have grown to love it and have built it into my lifestyle.
    10) Friend me :). I love people who love fitness and love to motivate people who are new to the trend or who are just trying to reach a personal goal!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options

I'm 5ft11... I weight 197lbs (from 230lbs, and at that weight MFP told me to consume 2700 cals) and I lead a very sedentary lifestyle, long story, but i'm on week 11 of P90x3. When I workout I burn around 500 cals (using a PolarHRM) and obviously log that. So I normally eat closer to 2,000 cals really.[/quote]

I think there's a mistake in your calculations. I'm 5ft5, female, over 50 and I never saw a calorie recommendation that low. Maybe if I'd been going for 2 lbs a week... but even so, you're much younger than I am, much taller, and male, so even if you're sitting on your butt whenever you're not doing P90x3, that seems really low. Usually the recommendation for males is not to go below 1800 calories (I think... might be 1600 but you're still low) without medical supervision.

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Why do people exercise aswell?

I exercise mainly for the mental benefits (I find it helps with sleep/focus/energy levels/anger management) and also because I want to be mobile well into old age.

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-a-z/E/exercise-mental-health/

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I exercise regularly for my heart, as heart disease runs in my family on both sides. Side bonus is it helps me manage my weight (obviously), stress, depression, anxiety, and insomnia. (All are still present, just not as bad). Another side bonus - It's nice to be able to go on long hikes with Mr. Pineapple.

PS - I'm a 5'1" female, 132 pounds. I lose on 1,540 calories per day without exercise. You should probably be eating more. There are quite a few horror stories on here about people not starving themselves, but eating too little and their hair starting falling out. It also happened to my sister (from unintentionally under-eating). It's taken her over 5 years to stimulate regrowth.
  • allanrjudge
    allanrjudge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the input. All great reasons... I hate the skinny fat look too, where the fat seems to hang from a small malnourished body. Ew.

Do you really think 1,350 cals is too low? That's what MFP told me to consume when I said I want to lose 2lbs a week. Maybe I should change it back to 1.5 lbs a week then.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    With 19 pounds to lose according to your ticker, you should be losing between .5 and 1 pound per week. At 1350, you risk losing out on vital nutrients to keep your body running and run more of a risk of losing muscle as well as fat, since your deficit is so high.
  • allanrjudge
    allanrjudge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've set the weight loss to 1.5lbs now and they say I should eat around 1,650 cals a day, then on top of that i'll eat my exercise cals back. Do you think that will be okay?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I've set the weight loss to 1.5lbs now and they say I should eat around 1,650 cals a day, then on top of that i'll eat my exercise cals back. Do you think that will be okay?

Most people on here recommend to eat back approximately half of your exercise calories, as many calorie calculators estimate too high.