Hi all Vegetarians, Is it possible to meet ones protein quota for the day? HOW?

Options
Since on the keto diet meat proteins have created a road block for me.
I want to know from what vegetables can you get the best proteins from?
I Don't eat beans, legumes, nuts, soya products or drink milk.
If you are energetic and active? being a vegetarian, is it possible. I used to be a Vegetarian in school, but was not very active, did not have lots of energy. Tired out easily.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The protein in vegetables is usually in the seeds, so since you are choosing not to eat beans etc., that could be a problem. Do you eat things like peas and sunflower seeds?
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have to be honest and say I really struggle, I'm not a lover of beans either and normally have a protein shake everyday to help. I tend to eat soya products, eggs, Greek yoghurt, nuts, cottage cheese etc which are good protein sources.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian keto without beans, legumes, nuts, soya or milk is going to be extremely difficult.

There are some protein powders such as hemp or rice that you might be able to use, but the vegetarian powders with the most protein are either milk or soya derived.

Seitan is a good protein source but some types do contain soya.

You can get some protein from mushrooms, broccoli, nutritional yeast/yeast extract, but you'd have to eat huge quantities of these to meet your daily requirements.

It sounds like you're not currently vegetarian. If you want to eliminate meat then how about being pescetarian? You'll find it much easier to get enough protein if you include fish in your diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you don't eat beans, nuts, legumes or soy pretty much the only option is to drink heaps of hemp protein powder. Not a life worth living..

The other option is to stop with the food type restriction madness and eat like a normal vegetarian, beans and soy included.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you don't eat beans, nuts, legumes or soy pretty much the only option is to drink heaps of hemp protein powder. Not a life worth living..

The other option is to stop with the food type restriction madness and eat like a normal vegetarian, beans and soy included.

This. I have been a vegetarian since childhood and get 150+g protein daily. I don't restrict any types of food (aside from meat obviously).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I can't see how to do a ketogenic diet and be a vegetarian. My biggest protein hit daily comes from Greek yogurt, but there's quite a bit of milk sugar in there. It's probably to high in carbs for a keto diet. There's also the skim milk I use in my protein shakes, and I do use whey protein.

I really have no advice for you other than to think long and hard about they way you're choosing to lose weight. Isn't it better to pick a sustainable style of eating so you'll stay the course when it comes time to maintain? It's very, very hard to be a vegetarian without at least beans and soy and/or dairy.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's actually not possible to go keto on a vegetarian diet and still make a reasonable calorie goal. Your biggest problem is not protein here. Even if you ate nothing but avocado all day it would only take you to roughly 500 calories a day before it starts being too high in carbs.
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I supplement with low calorie protein powder...birthday cake -About time is 100 calories per scoop. And I've been getting close with extra calories to spare.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I hit 90 g a day on 1900 calories without any trouble. You just have to do a little research up front to see what foods give you a good protein to calorie ratio. There are a lot of options out there. If you're limiting out soy and beans, it's going to be more difficult.
  • amanda1005
    amanda1005 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's actually not possible to go keto on a vegetarian diet and still make a reasonable calorie goal. Your biggest problem is not protein here. Even if you ate nothing but avocado all day it would only take you to roughly 500 calories a day before it starts being too high in carbs.

Ive been doing veg keto for the past few years... What makes you think it cannot be done?

To OP, I range from 50-100 g protein a day if I dont really watch what Im eating. Faux meat products can be pretty high protein, with only 1-3 g CHO per serving. Eggs and cheese are your friends. Its not hard to meet your macros at all.
  • zenabby
    zenabby Posts: 24 Member
    Options

This. I have been a vegetarian since childhood and get 150+g protein daily. I don't restrict any types of food (aside from meat obviously).

How do you do this? Can I look at your diary?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Soy is the only vegetarian, non-animal product, complete protein. If you don't eat that, you need to vary your proteins so you get complete protein, even if from different, complimentary sources.

If you can't eat soy, beans, legumes and nuts, I'd suggest eating meat for protein unless you're philosophically opposed to it. If you cannot eat the meat, ask a dietitian about powders. Some of those powders may not contain all they say they do and if it's your only source of protein, you want to be sure.

Edit to add: Quorn. I heard about that. I may have spelled it wrong. It's a fungus that is supposed to be very healthy. You might look into that.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and seitan. Seitan is a really delicious protein made from vital wheat gluten - you can buy it premade, but it's cheap and easy to make it at home.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thank you all mfp friends for all your suggestions, have a wonderful day :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's going to be really hard if you don't eat seeds, legumes, or dairy...

Peas, potatoes, broccoli, spinach, and brussels sprouts are the vegetables that have the 'highest' protein levels at 2-3 grams per serving, but that puts you at 50 or more servings a day.

Or there are always bananas--again, around 2 grams per--but there was someone on the forums yesterday who claimed that was her exclusive protein source.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hope this link help, obviously ignore the items of food that you are opposed to eating.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    zenabby wrote: »

How do you do this? Can I look at your diary?

My diary is open to everyone, feel free to browse.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Spinach, kale, and broccoli are 45% to 49% protein
    Cauliflower, mushrooms, and parsley are 34%-40% protein
    Chicken is 23% beef is 26% and eggs are only 12%
    I am not vegetarian but I am researching it, I am allergic to soy and dairy so I have to find my protein needs in other places, there are some good vegetable protein powders on the market that offer 20-25 grams of protein per scoop, from what I've learned pea protein digests just as quickly as whey protein.

Hope this helps
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    amanda1005 wrote: »

Ive been doing veg keto for the past few years... What makes you think it cannot be done?

To OP, I range from 50-100 g protein a day if I dont really watch what Im eating. Faux meat products can be pretty high protein, with only 1-3 g CHO per serving. Eggs and cheese are your friends. Its not hard to meet your macros at all.

Except she does not want any soy, beans or dairy. Most fake meats include some kind of soy product, so that's out, so is cheese.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm trouble with this myself. I'm trying to avoid excessive carbs and up my protein intake... but I'm vegan, which means no milk or eggs. Aaaaand I can't do soy since apparently I don't tolerate it well at all. That leaves... well, beans and legumes. And seitan-type stuff. :pensive: