Running in the winter/dark

Options
I work full time (8-4:30) and love to run but feel like I can't in these winter months because of how early the darkness comes. What do you all do to combat this? I can run anytime on the weekends, but I need at least 2 other runs during the week. I have a gym membership but running on a treadmill hurts my shins. (A physical therapist had an explanation of one of my muscles not being engaged on the treadmill, I don't remember the specifics but it's not a possibility). Any tips? I'm a 30 year old woman so don't really want to run out in the dark by myself and have no running partners.

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well if you don't want to run outside in the dark and you can only run at night... You will have a problem. There is no miracle solution to create daylight at night....

So you either get a headlamp and reflective clothing and run outside or run on a treadmill.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Well unless you can find a running partner, there's not much you can do about the "by yourself" part. I would look for some well lit streets in your neighborhood, or maybe a school track that's lit up at night.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    im in the same boat. legit same work hours too. But you have to. just get up and do it or run after work. A lot of times after work I run and by the end of my run its dark out but whatever. I just try to stay in a well lit area. welcome to add.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The school track is a good idea! I hadn't thought of that.

I'm not looking for a miracle solution for daylight, just wondering what other people do that works for them. :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Would you have access to an indoor running track? (If you have a college or university in town they may have one as part of their athletic facilities and access is usually pretty affordable)

Is there a running club or running group in town? Many of them will have mid-week group runs and you could even meet a suitable running buddy for other runs during the week.

Run at lunch time during the week?
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    What about running on your lunch break? I do it occasionally in the winter because with it being cold I don't get as sweaty so I don't have to worry about being sweaty in the office all afternoon. I'm not sure how your work is, but mine is pretty flexible and I can take a 40-45 minute run at my lunch break as long as I get my hours in elsewhere.

What about changing up your cardio? What about stationary bikes, stair climbers, etc. at your gym during the week and saving your runs for the weekends?

Otherwise, I think you may just have to get the proper equipment such as reflective clothing, possibly a headlamp, and get some pepper spray if it offers peace of mind.
  • MDG76
    MDG76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you run during your day (say at lunch time) at all? That's what I usually do over the winter.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Same here. I tried running at night in my neighborhood with a flashlight. I wasn't concerned about the cars because I knew they could see my flashlight. Wasn't worried too much about safety because it's a pretty safe neighborhood. I was worried about what I couldn't see on the road... cracks, uneven surfaces, limbs, etc. The flashlight's glow was not so bright that I could see everything in front of me. Didn't enjoy that run at all!

And like you, treadmill running is uncomfortable (and boring) for me. So, I take running gear to work and run at lunch. Yeah, it's aggravating to spend my lunch break that way, but I take a protein shake as my meal, so it's quick and easy. And I towel off the sweat when I'm done. It's not a perfect solution, but if I've got to get my runs in, it's the only one I can think of.

Good luck!
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My alma mater has an indoor track but they want $400 upfront to use it for the year and I just can't stand to fork that over. Lunch break would be tough. I work at a hospital and dress up (think suit jacket, heels, etc) so by the time I would change out of my clothes and hang them up, make my way outside, and give time to come back, clean up a bit and get my clothes back on, I doubt I would get much more than a 20 minute run. We get 30 minutes for lunch but I'm sure I could squeeze 45 out but I don't know. I'm in a professional position so I guess it might be a little uncomfortable for me to walk around the hospital in my work out clothes (I'm on the 4th floor so would see several people on my way out), if that makes any sense.
  • wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I usually don't get to run until about 7pm myself and I just run around the neighborhood. I do live in a good, well-lit area (and I am a guy). If you really don't want to run in the dark by yoruself I 2nd the school idea. I have a middle school by my sub-division where the kids have soccer practice and the big spot lights are on illuminating about 2-3 fields well after I am done running (usually around 8:15 or so).

If I was adverse to running around my neighborhood, i would probably go run around those soccer fields. But I do admit that at this time of year I enjoy running around the neighborhood and seeing all the Christmas lights up.

Good luck on finding a solution. :smile:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I used to run at 3:30 in the morning till it got too blasted cold - I bought a bright headlamp flashlight and reflective vest and just went. The head lamp can be angled to illuminate the road ahead of you so cracks and bumps are much less of a hazard.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    can you run early in the morning? getting brightly colored clothes and a headlamp are great to be seen by vehicles. a road id bracelet is great just in case something happens and emergency personnel can identify you.

as far as safety from an attack, you need to be careful. can't take the same route every day. tell people where you are going. carry a safety horn thing. those are better than pepper spray because you don't have to really aim it, and it will alert people around you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    The school track is a good idea! I hadn't thought of that.

I'm not looking for a miracle solution for daylight, just wondering what other people do that works for them. :smile:

Some high schools will allow you to use their track for free as long as school activities aren't going on. Worth making a call to a local school.
    However, I think I'd rather run on a treadmill than around a track.

Either get over it and run in the dark solo with headlight and reflective gear and no headphones or get a dog as a running partner.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can't believe they are charging you that!! I guess being in the military has babied me a little. We have a gym that is almost 24hours (4-10) with an indoor track and it costs nothing to use it. Some classes are around $3 to take, but that's understandable.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What about running in the morning? Yes, it's dark at 5pm, but it's also light at 6am.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I don't know, $400 seems pretty reasonable... works out to just a bit over a $1 a day. It might be a little more palatable looking at that way. Maybe you can claim it as a donation to the school :smile:
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    During the week, I run after work, in the dark (sometimes, even in the summer!)...and I run by myself 99.9% of the time. My neighborhood has some streetlights, but they're like every 3rd or 4th house, and not that bright.

I wear reflective clothing, a blinkie light that goes on the heel of my shoe, a blinkie reflector that I put someone near my waist on my back and another on my front...I wear a headlamp pointed at the ground so I can see where my feet are going to land (our road is in good shape, so the concern is usually ice/snow)...and this year, I started attaching my crazy bright and blinding LED headlight from my bicycle to my watch's wriststrap - it helps with additional light to see where I'm going, and for cars to see me....it's so bright, that I've actually not bothered with the headlamp for the past few night runs.

That said, I reserve my night running for shorter runs, because I won't leave my development (we have a higher traffic, narrow, poorly lit road that is my connector to other developments - I'll run on that in the daylight, but not at night)...I save my long runs for the weekend when I can run in the daytime - there's only so many times I can run around the same 2-3 blocks (even if the blocks are a half mile around). LOL :)
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I run at night sometimes with a headlamp and a flashlight. I also carry a knife and pepper spray and run with my German Shepherd. It's kind of scary, especially since I run out in the country vs in a lighted town but ya gotta go what ya gotta do. Safety 1st... or 3rd... or whatever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I generally ride or run during my lunch hour.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Running in the snow is a fast way to the ER.

Source: Live in Michigan. Sprained wrist and ankle slipping on ice two years ago trying to run. Never again :( Gym membership has paid for itself in lack of medical bills the past two years.